• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cutting Down A Barrel: The unknown ins and outs of those who've been there and done that.

Rockdoc173

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2014
    Florida
    I have a Savage model 110 30-06 that I'm seriously thinking about cutting down from its original 24"+/- to a more maneuverable 18"-20". I've never done this to a rifle before (or rather HAD it done) so, good, bad or otherwise, I don't know what to expect. I was told by a buddy that I can expect to loose 100 FPS per inch removed. So, for instance, if I cut four inches off the barrel then I loose 400 FPS off my velocity. Is this an accurate guesstimate? What other changes might I encounter if I do this? The gun is primarily a bench gun that is almost never asked to reach past 500yds. Thanks for the input folks. As someone new to the long range world, I'm grateful for your wisdom and advice

I'd expect about 40 fps per inch, but of course that can vary with powder used and such.

Welcome to snipers hide.

If you want a handier rifle then cut it down to 20" and call it a day. The "100 FPS per inch" of barrel removed is just a rough guide. Some cartridges may lose more or less velocity than others per inch of barrel removed.

Make sure the gunsmith that cuts the barrel down puts a nice sharp crown on it. While you're at it might as well thread it and have him make a thread protector just in case you decide to put on a muzzle brake or something.

It depends on caliber (chamber). A .300wm vs. a .308win. as an example. The .300wm will have a greater loss or gain in velocity with the amount of barrel length added or shortened.

A good rule of thumb is 25fps. per inch for an average.

Also a minor change in barrel length say from 24" to 22" it won't make a big difference in velocity loss but take the barrel from 26" down to 20" the loss will be greater and the shorter you go the more of an effect on the loss of velocity.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

I have taken an 06 to 22" because I dinged the crown bad and figured since I was having it done anyway... The post above me knows more about barrels than I ever will. I would listen to him.

For .308, I've had a few rifles I've had the barrels cut down, from 20" down to 16" (for a really handy rifle, LOL!). For most weight bullets, the .30-06 will push the bullet about the same speed as a .308, and as such, I'd recommend going down to maybe 22", but not less than 20". At 22", depending on powder, etc..., you will still probably burn most of the powder by the time the bullet reaches the end of the muzzle. At 16", I really noticed a drop in velocity on my .308. Taking your .30-06 down to 22", you will notice the change in weight, and balance of your rifle, but probably won't see a catastrophic drop in velocity. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I love a shawty with an 18-20" barrel. Think about the following things before you chop your salvage that far:

1. balance. cutting the barrel to 18" especially might make it very muzzle light. also, are you sure it's 24" from the factory? I haven't owned a savage bolt gun in a standard cartridge that has more than a 22" barrel, which is about ideal in terms of balance/velocity/etc. tradeoffs on a sporter weight rifle.
    2. noise. A .30-06 with an 18" barrel will compress your skull if you're shooting on a covered range, etc. I will say that I've got no issue with a 20" .308, however.

Let's change the scenario just a little. Do you think it would be beneficial to change the barrel out all together and add a shorter (let's say 20") but heavier contour barrel. The gun retains its barrel weight which would make it more level but would hit the shorter mark I'm going after. Plus, a heavy barrel is better for long range precision shooting, yes?

Let's change the scenario just a little. Do you think it would be beneficial to change the barrel out all together and add a shorter (let's say 20") but heavier contour barrel. The gun retains its barrel weight which would make it more level but would hit the shorter mark I'm going after. Plus, a heavy barrel is better for long range precision shooting, yes?

That's a old saying that a heavier barrel shoots better than a lighter one. It has some merit/truth to it but is not all together accurate. I tell guys the more stress free the steel, the straighter the blank and the more uniform the bore and groove sizes are and the more uniform the twist the more forgiving the barrel is going to be regardless of the contour/weight.

The idea is the heavier the barrel the more it will resist wanting to walk as it heats up from shooting it. When this happens I believe it's because the barrel has a lot of residual stress in the blank or the barrel has a bow to it (bent for a lack of a better word).

I see repeatedly where shooters show up at a match with a LV gun and will out shoot HV guns or unlimited class guns. My F-Class gun for example the barrel is 1.250" str. (no taper) and Jeff's gun here his barrel on his is 1.250" x 5.000" str. tapers to .900" at the muzzle. Both are 32" finish length and both are in .284win. Neither gun can out shoot the other accuracy wise etc....!

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

i would factor in muzzle blast in my choice of barrel length with a cartridge like 30-06 but thats just me. shorter "handier" rifles come with caveats for sure.

That's a old saying that a heavier barrel shoots better than a lighter one. It has some merit/truth to it but is not all together accurate. I tell guys the more stress free the steel, the straighter the blank and the more uniform the bore and groove sizes are and the more uniform the twist the more forgiving the barrel is going to be regardless of the contour/weight.

The idea is the heavier the barrel the more it will resist wanting to walk as it heats up from shooting it. When this happens I believe it's because the barrel has a lot of residual stress in the blank or the barrel has a bow to it (bent for a lack of a better word).

I see repeatedly where shooters show up at a match with a LV gun and will out shoot HV guns or unlimited class guns. My F-Class gun for example the barrel is 1.250" str. (no taper) and Jeff's gun here his barrel on his is 1.250" x 5.000" str. tapers to .900" at the muzzle. Both are 32" finish length and both are in .284win. Neither gun can out shoot the other accuracy wise etc....!

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Frank, what is "LV" and "HV" you mentioned?

LV is light varmint and HV is heavy varmint type guns/contours. Go to our contour page and you will get an idea of sizes etc....

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Wilco
    Frank,

I got quite a bit of info from your website. Now I'm wondering if my Savage 110 could be re-barreled with the M-24/M-40 contour barrel. Is that possible? Do yall just make and sell the barrels or could I send you my gun in and have you change it out for me? Also, I noticed most of yours are much longer than I want, can you cut it down a bit?