• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cutting down a chrome lined barrel.

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
I was wondering is any of you fine folks have ever cut off a hard chrome lined barrel?
I have an extra AR barrel and a SBR Form-1 here and rather than buying a new barrel I was considering cutting off this one..
I know the gas port will need to be adjusted as well.

I know it's done but I'd never do it. Like WildBill said it can flake. If the crown is not right it won't shoot straight. A new barrel for an AR doesn't cost much anyway. Just order one from Daniel Defense.

Cutting a chrome lined barrel is no big deal....do the work just like you would with any other steel barrel. The chrome is so thin that it really doesn't affect the cutting. I've done a lot of machinegun barrels and barrels for AK's and AR's etc....I have yet to see one flake. On the other hand its common for the bore to be off center in the middle of the barrel so cutting it may affect accuracy just from that standpoint. Your best bet is to buy a new barrel in the length you want if you have a wish for real accuracy.

Frank

No, cutting it is no big deal. I dial in on the bore, part the barrel off, thread it, and then crown it. Shoot the same size groups as before. Providing you have a lathe or access to one and can run it competently go for it.

T1D

How short are you going? Maybe you can just drill the gas port oversized.
New barrels aren't all that expensive, but doing it yourself obviously has its appeal. Give it a try and if it doesn't work well enough, try something else.

Last edited:
I'm a machinist so i'll be doing the work myself. I plan to saw cut the barrel a bit long and turn down to 11.5" then thread
1/2-28.
My main issue was what the chrome was gonna do when the insert hit it. Even if their is a little booger in the chrome I'm pretty sure I can hone it out. I was just wonder if anybody had done it and had any advice

It's not a big deal at all. I've done AR and AK barrels- I saw cut the barrel long and either cut the crown with a carbide tool on the lathe or I use one of those carbide Manson crowning tools. Both work well. This is the kit I've use- the lathe works just as well PRECISION REAMERS MUZZLE CROWN REFACING KIT | Brownells

I've actually used the kit to touch up a number of chrome lined crowns of all sorts and it worked like a champ- cutters are still sharp and serviceable

Last edited: