• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cutting Foam in my Pelican Case?

remau308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
Carrollton, Georgia
What is the best way to cut the foam in a Pelican case to ensure it doesn't look like I did it with a butter knife? I've heard a hot knife or hot wire is the best way, but I don't know how to do that myself or anywhere that can do it for me. If I trace the pattern myself and ship it, where can I send it to be cut?

Thanks,
Troy

Re: Cutting Foam in my Pelican Case?

I used a scalpel. worked pretty good.

I'm just really particular with stuff like rough corners (my father is an architect, and I'm also a building science major), so things like that I want to look clean hah

Shouldn't be any real need to send it anywhere. It is really simple and the tools you need are pennies;

1 x Snap blade knife
1 x Chalk
1 x Ruler (steel preferred but plastic is fine)

Think through and work on the layout of what you want to fit in the case. This is the key to success...take your time - it is better to spend time now than rush and get it wrong.

When sorted, draw the outlines in chalk.

Put the foam flat on a table with the bit to be cut overhanging the edge so the blade can pass all the way through the foam. Use a fully extended blade so that it can cut all the way through the foam. Move in a smooth cutting motion along the line. Don't hack and chop or you'll end up with a cut that look like a badger's a$$hole...i.e rough around the edges!

Always cut to the inside of the outline so that the foam will grip the object you are putting in...no point in having it rattling around.... You can't stick foam back if you take out too much but you can always fine tune if you haven't taken out enough!

If you are worried about going off track....use a steel ruler to guide the blade.

Here's the one I just did for my M1903A1:

Peli.jpg

My personal preference is to always have any optics on the side with the handle.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another trick is to freeze the foam </div></div>

what is the benefit of this?

I traced mine with chalk. When I was satisfied with the lay-out, I cut it using an electric carving knife I picked up at the Salvation Army store for 2$. If you take your time, hold the knife vertical, and follow the inside edge of your chalk line while positioning the piece to be cut just off the edge of your bench it will come out looking like it was cut with a die. That said, it is only a matter of time til you change an accessory and have to butcher something to make it fit! No one will see the inside of your case and form a negative opinion of you, it just needs to protect your gun!
Mike

It's a touch overkill, but... one of THESE . Nice clean edges, Incredibly Precise, & no hazmat or noxious fumes.

As to the freezing the foam question, freezing stiffens it temporarily, allowing for making easier, more accurate & cleaner cuts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jean Lafitte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As to the freezing the foam question, freezing stiffens it temporarily, allowing for making easier, more accurate & cleaner cuts. </div></div>

Makes sense, if you have freezer big enough.

Tag. I like what you did there BasraBoy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an update, my case came in today, and I already have it fitted.

24e9c0k.jpg

b4i7oh.jpg

And I ended up using this cheap little foam cutter from hobby lobby...it actually worked very well.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=151998 </div></div>

That hobby cutter looks interesting. Did you use it hand held style or did you try cutting with the base attached?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: briggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Electric knife works well. </div></div>

+1...there's an OpticsPlanet video out there somewhere demo'ing this.

Yep, the electric turkey blade works good,..very quick and I think I paid something like $15 for it at Wal-Mart.