• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cutting threaded barrel down and recrowning

exedotbat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Montville, NJ
I have a remington 700 with a 24" 5R barrel that is threaded for a FTE Brake. I don't want to use the brake anymore what would be better;

Cut the threads and recrown

Cut it down to 22" and recrown

Cut it down to 20" and recrown.

Im in nj so I can't have a suppressor, its between those 3 options.

Also while I was going to have this done my smith can also true the action and bolt for a fair price. Should I have this done as well?

Thanks

Re: Cutting threaded barrel down and recrowning

Do you want a shorter barrel or do you just want to get rid of the threads? You could just use a thread protector so you could always go back to the brake if you wanted to. If you want a shorter barrel i would cut it to 20 in. if you are going to pay to have it cut down get your moneys worth. Have the action trued when its time to re barrel.

Toolmaker is spot on; You can't have the action trued and still use the original barrel, at least not if the job is done correctly.

You could use the factory barrel. it would have to be set back and re chambered. Its not worth it,your still going to have a factory barrel.

I have made special thread protectors for what you describe. It covers the shelf made when the barrel was machined for the brake with an almost seamless appearance.

However, if you will not need the brake anymore, I would cut to 22". It will be handier and still get you to 1k with no problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

However, if you will not need the brake anymore, I would cut to 22". It will be handier and still get you to 1k with no problems. </div></div>

Did I miss where he said what Caliber it was ?