• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cutting through the barrel flutes ?

Impact

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2007
Los Angeles,CA
Let's say you have a 24" fluted barrel and you want to get it to 20" and install a muzzle brake, it will cut through the flutes, does it matter ?

thanks

Re: cutting through the barrel flutes ?

I asked the same question. From what I remember, some mechanically savvy members said that the flutes only help stiffness(some said they don't help much at all, anyway) if they do not extend all the way to the end of the barrel.

Also, I thought the asthetics would suffer if I cut it back to flutes.

Well it might look funny, but I suppose you could chuck the barrel between centers and turn down a shank for threading - and possibly even thread it - before actually cutting the barrel. Not sure how you would hold the barrel after it is cut for facing the muzzle and maybe cutting a new crown since there is no cylindrical part for a steady rest to be used.

I am sure a talented 'smith could do it - all it requires is time and money.

Look at Clark Custom in LA, they do a lot of high-end 10/22 and 77/22 stuff. They offer Lothar Walther tubes with big flutes to the muzzle. Pretty cool....

I'm not a big fan of flutes in general, but my only concern with cutting through the flutes on a barrel would be with having a funny crown screw up accuracy. That being said, you're talking muzzle brake anyway, so it won't affect the crown. In reality, I think it should look good.

As far as barrel strength lost by cutting into the flutes, you're at the muzzle end, so rigidity isn't as big a concern as say. At the recoil, where leverage from the unsupported weight of the barrel and barrel whip harmonics are focused, barrel rigidity is more important. Not to mention, flutes reduce barrel rigidity anyway. A fluted barrel is stronger than a non-fluted barrel of equivalent WEIGHT, but not equivalent profile. Translation, by cutting flutes into an otherwise unaltered barrel, its strength is decreased.

Let us know what you come up with.

-matt

It (turning through fluting/ recrowning) can be done but you will need a rigid machine and appropriate cutting tools because the chatter from the interrupted cut from a deeply flute barrel is a pain.

Is it cut or button rifled?