• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CVN-78 Commissioned

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
Watching live as CVN-78 Gerald R. Ford just became USS Gerald R. Ford. They're setting the first watch and getting ready to man her and bring her to life. This one is going to be quite different than her predecessors. I sure hope they get that new catapult figured out!

edit: Apparently the forum software won't accept all caps in the title? Thus Cvn instead of CVN. I have edited it twice and it keeps reverting back.

Update: Pres. Ford's daughter just gave the call to "Man our ship and bring her to life!" Sailors are scrambling everywhere!

Last edited:
Watching it as well, it's damn hot here in eastern Virginia today, hope those sailors don't stroke out. And for the title, add a little something extra that has lower case letters and the software will quit autocorrecting the all caps of the acronym.

Hey, thanks Redman! It worked.

I listened to it on the radio. Never seen a commissioning ceremony and was really impressed by it. "Bring the ship to life" is a really moving sentiment.

Navies and sailors have very ancient traditions... from figureheads to putting coins under the masts in order to ensure luck. From a epoch when going to sea was so fraught with peril that sailors used every edge they could get!

A great day for the USN. A great day for America.

I wonder if, as its first mission, the Gerald Ford could call in its Air Wing on Chevy Chase, Md. Some will get that irony...

Cheers,

Sirhr

I was invited to the commissioning of the USS Iwo Jima LHD-7 at Pensacola, 30 June 2001, just prior to 9/11.

I was there like flies on poo. It's an event of a lifetime. Commandant Krulak's Wife was the sponsor, and it was a dusty moment for me when she gave the command, "Bring this ship to life..."

Despite the rain. It rained on our wedding day in 1970, and we are married 47 years next Tuesday. I figure the rain's good on a ship's Commissioning day too...

I had met them twice before at MCL National Conventions in the 1990's. His Dad, Lt. Gen. Victor 'Brute' Krulak inspected my M-14 just prior to our Battalion's departure for 'Nam. He liked it so much, my Company Commander promoted me to LCPL on the spot. I had put a lot of work into the finish on that stock. Even back then, a rifle was more than just a tool to me.

Greg

Last edited:
^^^ That's awesome!

I did get to go to a ceremony at 8th and I for the new Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps in 2003. I honestly don't remember who the incoming SGM was. But outgoing SGM McMichael was very close friends with a buddy of mine, an Army SGM, and a former SFOD-D team leader then working for General Dynamics. I'd met McMichael a few times through my friend, Will.. McMichael was a very, very accomplished gentleman. The ceremony was in spring 2003 and was amazing. And the after party was fantastic. Well... let me rephrase. The after party at the Commandant's residence was beyond classy. I mean protocol and pure class at a level that is hard to describe. The after-after party, however, was epic!

One hell of an amazing event and experience. The Marines have traditions and ceremony as well. But I was so impressed with the CVN Commissioning today that I will see if I can try to attend one someday! I am sure I can finagle an invite to some Electric Boat event ;-)

If you can ever get to see anything at 8th and I... go. It is, IMHO, one of the most hallowed pieces of ground in America.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Godspeed USN Gerald R Ford. May you never have to fire a shot in anger.

Such a great sentiment.... We can hope that our ships, tanks, planes and even soldiers never have to fire a shot in anger. Because, to quote Reagan-era-sentiment.... Peace was guaranteed through superior firepower.

I'd gladly see tax dollars pay for ships, planes, tanks and rifles that never get fired in anger... but preserve the peace.

Unfortunately, we never get that lucky, do we?

Good quote Dougie... and Maggot!

Sirhr

uss-ford-aircraft-carrier-prt2-920-10.jpg

More pics here http://thechive.com/2017/07/21/tomo...-ever-built-will-officially-lead-the-us-navy/

Being a former carrier engineer, I'd pass right by the flight deck and hangar bay and walk right down to one of the plants. I'd really like to see the contrast between the newest and what I knew (the oldest, USS Nimitz).

By the by, our best ally is not too far from joining us back in the carrier aviation game:

HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08) undergoing sea trials
first-deck-landing-on-hms-queen-elizabeth.jpg

Side by side view comparing her (65,000 DWT) to her predecessor HMS Illustrious (22,000 DWT), obviously photochopped as QE doesn't even fit in the drydock but good comparison anyway
HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-in-letalonosilka-HMS-Illustrious.jpg

The MOD's major mistake was not ordering her and her sister (HMS Prince of Wales) with cats and traps, which they were designed to accomodate
maxresdefault.jpg

But sir, where do I empty my schlong?

---------------------------------------
    • [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"193","width":"220","src":"https:\/\/s.yimg.com\/uu\/api\/res\/1.2\/HT2G0SyaM9uv_sQNIg47IQ--\/Zmk9c3RyaW07aD0zODY7cHlvZmY9MDtxPTgwO3c9NDQwO3NtPTE7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-\/http:\/\/globalfinance.zenfs.com\/en_us\/Finance\/US_AFTP_SILICONALLEY_H_LIVE\/The_Navys_newest_most_sophisticated-aeaee5217ac309a82e12f1ff93b72fe4"}[/IMG2]
      LifestyleBusiness Insider [h=3]The Navy's newest, most sophisticated aircraft carrier doesn't have urinals[/h]
      Amid all its upgrades and advances, the US Navy's newest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R....