• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes CW or CCW turrets

sideshowbob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
in, USA
I have been reading posts that refer to CCW vs CW turrets. Why is one better than the other, or why do some shooters have a preference of one over the other?

Re: CW or CCW turrets

Ive been thinking the same, and all I can imagine is this is a personal preferance....

it's what you are used to. European optics are tranisionally CW.

I personally hate CW knobs, it makes more sence to me that if you turn a knob CCW it goes up or out,like a screw.

One thing you might consider is that match rifle/service rifle directions differ. If you are used to the ingrained direction of movement, one would make more sense than the other. Less errors secondary to relying on habit and turning it the wrong way.

Just an obs.

Unless you have a scope like the S&B where the knob doesn't move up or down externally, it's only internally that it moves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you have a scope like the S&B where the knob doesn't move up or down externally, it's only internally that it moves. </div></div>

True, but I don't worry about the way the knob phyisically moves.

It just makes more sence to me that the direction you would turn a screw is the direction the bullet needs to go.

If you really want to mess with your head, I had a scope at one point that had CCW Elevation and CW windage! It was an S&B that I assume a previous owner had set up that way, still don't know why...

Like MOA vs. Mil, it's personal preference. One is not right or wrong.

It is better to be consistent though. Either have all yours scopes CW or all CCW. Mixing the two might cause confusion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is better to be consistent though. Either have all yours scopes CW or all CCW. Mixing the two might cause confusion. </div></div>

+1,000
I believe in continuity. One less variable you need to think/worry about when you have different optics.

Newby here, thanks for answering a basic question of mind. Google, it's a miracle.