• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cyber Ransom, Lady Gaga, Trump and More

DarnYankeeUSMC

McCarthy Was Right
Minuteman
  • Mar 18, 2012
    In your head
    Last year a local company got hit and it really sucked for them. The hackers waited for months before sending their demand. They had enough information on the companies finances to make a demand that really hurt the company but was affordable.

Looks like this time someone is going for the big money. With celebrities and politicians. $42 million is chump change for a presidential election and a group of celebs. But like the article says. They may come back for the blackmail again and again.
    Isn't dirty laundry great? Especially when your lawyers put it in their computers?

My question is, in today's world, knowing how flimsy the internet can be, why would anyone ever put anything in a computer they dont want stolen...or even on paper. A big fucking DOH!

If youve got dirty laundry....BURN IT.

trying to blackmail someone that can order a precision airstrike and drop a tomahawk right between your eyes......sounds like a great idea. almost as good an idea as highjacking a russian ship.

good luck with that.
    This made me lol. Just picturing hacker guy all smug, surrounded by all of his computers. “Is piece of cake Natalia. We get so much dollars from this, you see.” Meanwhile a predator lets loose with a hellfire on his ass.

long way of saying thank you for the chuckle 😂

She’s in the deep end, far from the shallow.

It’s a problem for sure. However, for those castigating the attorneys for storing their data on a computer, I have to ask how they (you) propose to run a very large business without keeping any information or data? This was obviously a very well planned out and coordinated cyber attack that probably took a long time to plan and carry out.

Like most large companies, this firm used state of the art cyber protections and kept backups of their data, likely in another location or locations. The black hat hackers took the time to find all locations of the backup data and encrypted that also. Not a simple keystroke accomplishment.

Like most large companies, this firm used state of the art cyber protections and kept backups of their data, likely in another location or locations. The black hat hackers took the time to find all locations of the backup data and encrypted that also. Not a simple keystroke accomplishment.

Tape drives are way out of favour with most these days, and most of those still using them don't use them properly. But if you are willing to use them properly & spend the expense of constant new tapes, it's one of the few backup schemes that will actually save you from ransomware pretty reliably. (The part of ransomware where they lock you out of your data that is, not the part where they have it and threaten to release it).

Reactions: lash
    Lady Gaga does have some stuff to hide.
    There was this court case she was involved with not long ago and she was begging the judge to order some stuff sealed or it would ruin her.

Reactions: Bender
    Lady Gaga does have some stuff to hide.
    There was this court case she was involved with not long ago and she was begging the judge to order some stuff sealed or it would ruin her.
    She has a lot of shameful shit she's hiding.

One of your “Your” is wrong.
    Can you find it?
    eb9.jpg

Reactions: Teach Me Sensei
    The company I work for was hacked and ransomed earlier this year. They data mined everything they could, but couldn't find anything to hold over our heads I guess, so they basically ransomed our estimating software. We would've told them to get stuffed, but it hadn't been backed up in over 6 months, and we had almost 250 million in bids going out in less than a week. So we paid them their ransom in Bitcoin as they requested. Obviously they can't read a balance sheet though, as they asked for roughly .00024% of our gross income.

• Haha
    trying to blackmail someone that can order a precision airstrike and drop a tomahawk right between your eyes......sounds like a great idea. almost as good an idea as highjacking a russian ship.

good luck with that.
    Back in the bad old days of Beirut, Hezbollah captured then Agency station chief Bill Buckley. They later killed him after trying to blackmail us with an exchange over some Iranian terrorists on trial in Kuwait. The US negotiated, sent seals and SAD and Delta teams to try and find him... and negotiating his release ended up spinning into the Iran-Contra Hostage Affair. Through it all, the Islamic radicals laughed at our weakness. It turned into a huge attack on the Reagan Presidency itself once the lefty press got going. Ollie North and all that.

At the same time, four Soviet diplomats were kidnapped by Hezbollah. One, Arcady Katiyn, was murdered by Hezbollah. The Soviet response was that the KGB and a Spetznaz unit were sent to Beirut. Today the Spetznaz unit is called Alpha, but at the time I think it was called something else.

They ‘Sovs kidnapped several known Hezbollah operatives, beheaded them and sent the heads to Hezbollah HQ. they also snatched the relative of the leading cleric who was running a Hezbollah, castrated and beheaded him and sent the parts to the cleric. It was said that the private parts were stuffed in his mouth.

The remaining Soviet diplomats were released untouched within days. No other Soviet diplomat was ever touched or threatened again in Beirut and, probably, in the Middle East.

Pax Romana has its uses. Weakness begets more attacks.

Sirhr

I am sure with their money and in trumps case nsa cia and fbi power not to mention all of our tax dollars they can handle it just fine and if they can't oh well I'll raise a beer or in my case a glass of water and laugh at there expense . Finally having no money is a blessing It's hard to have sympathy for someone that has that much and acts so piss poorly poor babies .....

I am sure with their money and in trumps case nsa cia and fbi power not to mention all of our tax dollars they can handle it just fine and if they can't oh well I'll raise a beer or in my case a glass of water and laugh at there expense . Finally having no money is a blessing It's hard to have sympathy for someone that has that much and acts so piss poorly poor babies .....
    You're not talking about the same FBI, NSA, CIA and DHS that attempted a soft coup against Trump are you?
    At this point I don't give two shits about any of the information. Enough is enough and the time has come for some true daylight on all of this hidden bullshit. Fuck the govt and all the classified shit.

Was hacked and encrypted last Thursday.
    We are almost out of it.
    Guys wanted bit coin as well
    Not paying shit..have had techs here for a week.
    We’re manufacturing so the equipment runs with or with out our data
    Office staff is having a disaster but the boat rows on one direction..get on board

Most companies have one fatal flaw in IT security

They have stupid people on staff :D :D :D

I have been an IT guy for 30 years in various job roles, one thing that has remained a constant into 2020 is the lack of IT knowledge of the typical office worker and how almost anyone will click a link that says they won a $10 gift card at amazon, even if amazon isn't spelled correctly :D :D :D

In the case of these Crypto hackers, it would be worth them actually giving someone a real $10 gift card to get them to click, the payoff is enormous and people are stupid, but people are so stupid they can fake it and win

Reactions: Bender and brianf