• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cycling Problems on New AR-15 Build- SOLVED

G

I've put together an AR from some bits and pieces that I've picked up over the past several months.
Got out to shoot it yesterday and had cycling issues from the start.
I had stuck cases several times and it never fed properly, with the bolt closing on an empty chamber in most instances.

Came home and did a thorough clean and lube and went back out this AM.

It still isn't cycling properly, but it's doing slightly better.
Out of 80 rounds fired this AM, it cycled properly four times.
In most cases, the empty is ejected, but the next round isn't fed into the chamber.
A couple of times, the empty stovepiped and a couple of times the next live round released from the mag, but didn't feed into the chamber properly.

All components are new

Components:
RRA 16" A2 Upper
Stag Lower with Stag LPK
CAA CBST collapsible stock with commercial spring and buffer
UTG Quad rail gas block
UTG Quad rail forend
Magpul Pmags

Ammo - Wolf Polyformance HP

I am suspicious of two things at this point.
Ammo - I've never shot Wolf, but I've read that it performs well in RRA uppers.

Gas block/tube - I had a Hell of a time getting the quad rail gas block installed, because the pin holes were slightly misaligned.

I'm going to tear everything down and put the A2 gas block back on it today.
What else should I do or look for?

Re: Cycling Problems on New AR-15 Build

Did you buy the upper complete from RRA or did you assemble yourself?

Try different ammo first.

But it sounds to me like your not getting enough gas back to the bolt. So etheir the gas block is misaligned to the gas port or the gas port is to small.

Pretty sure your gas block isn't aligned properly. Check that first, check carrier key and gas rings, make sure they aren't aligned(usually isn't a problem on new bolts, but used ones)
Definately wolf ammo is a problem, but it should feed and cycle, its just crappy ammo.

Wolf ammo has a reputation of being loaded light .
But like the other guy's have said check the gas system for problems that would restrict the flow or leaks , misaligned gas port , loose carrier key , gas rings , etc. .

I'm with Scott, esp since you said the pin holes weren't aligned well.
Aftermarket gas blocks should be "bolt on" in my opinion because there's no way the taper pins will line up properly with different manufacturers.

Wolf is crappy, but should run fine in a properly setup AR.

I bought the complete upper from another member here, but as a I know it was put together by RRA.

I'm getting started on it in a little while and will post back with what I find.
I'm leaning towards this gas block.
If it's misaligned, I should be able to drill out the port to get better alignment?

Ammo is the last thing I can easily get in this town.
So I'll rechceck the gas system and try Wolf once more.

The rounds I did shoot grouped very well.
I was getting 2 MOA using a 1X red dot at 100 yards.
Considering the fact that the dot covered the bullseye and then some, I thought that was pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Scott, esp since you said the pin holes weren't aligned well.
Aftermarket gas blocks should be "bolt on" in my opinion because there's no way the taper pins will line up properly with different manufacturers.</div></div>

How do you make sure your gas block hole is lined up properly with the barrel hole? I bought a DPMS, picatiny 4-way rail gas block that tightens down with screws onto the barrel. I had lots of feeding problems, so I went back to the reliable A2 front sight, and no problems since. Just curious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If it's misaligned, I should be able to drill out the port to get better alignment? </div></div>

If you find its misaligned, drill or dremel the port opening on the gas block, not the port on the barrel (pretty obvious, but just wanted to clarifly).

Rule #2 of WECSOG: modify the cheapest part first.

Wolf is crap and UTG is crap. Get better ammo and a real gas block and you should be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you make sure your gas block hole is lined up properly with the barrel hole? I bought a DPMS, picatiny 4-way rail gas block that tightens down with screws onto the barrel. I had lots of feeding problems, so I went back to the reliable A2 front sight, and no problems since. Just curious.</div></div>

After shooting a few rounds, a soot ring will form on the barrel showing where the gas block is positioned. Obviously, to check this you'll need to remove and reinstall the gas block. Make an indexing mark on the barrel (a piece of tape or something) so you can make the necessary correction when you reinstall it. That's how I do it anyway.

Back from the range and it ran 60 rounds without a hitch.
it was pretty obvious when I pulled the UTG gas block off and compared it to the original.
I doubt I was getting much more 1/4 of the gas flow as the hole on the UTG was way off.

With the original block, the Wofl runs just fine.
I'll decide what to do about the other block next week.
Right now, it's time to get started on the drinking.

Thanks for the help guys!

Happy 4th!

Good!
Not that my opinion would matter, but I rank UTG stuff lower than Wolf ammo on the "crap" list, however, now that the UTG is off and you can see where the gas was hitting the gasblock you can dremel that out and you may be able to run that gas block.

Damn I lost another $65/hour charge. LOL

I'm glad you got it working good now.

Chad for lining up your gas block to the gas port, i have a jig, some people eye ball it, but you really should have an armorer do the not so easy things with your guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad for lining up your gas block to the gas port, i have a jig, some people eye ball it, but you really should have an armorer do the not so easy things with your guns. </div></div>

Scott, that's what I was thinking! It's a little above my ability. I want it done right, if I do it. I'm happy with the pinned in A2 front sight. The scope clears it, so not worries now.