• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Cylinder & Slide custom .45?

supernt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
VA & SoCal
Does anyone here have experience with this shop? What kind of work do they turn out? I am looking at one of their "recreation and defense" 1911's.

Re: Cylinder & Slide custom .45?

I have 1 of his 1911s. Nice pistol. I don't know if it is any better than a Les Baer or the price. His shop is only 40 miles from me. What kind of price is he asking now days?

I think it is $2,150.00. They look like they have quite a bit of work into them.

They are a nice 1911. I like mine. I think I paid around 2 for mine about 3 years ago. I think once you get in the 2 range. They are some choices. He does good work.

C&S puts out a top quality 1911. Bill builds combat pistols and if you've ever shot one, you know what I'm talking about. C&S pistols run like a top. The work done is top notch and you won't regret buying from them. I have put many rounds through a Cylinder & Slide R&D and I like everything about it. If you're looking to spend that kind of money, C&S will not dissappoint.

In my opinion, the Baer's of today are not the Baers of yester-year. The models I handled at SHOT Show 09 were not the quality that I expected nor where they on par with older model 1911s from the same shop. Les Baer still builds a very good quality pistol that would make a lot of shooters very happy but I would spend my money at Cylinder & Slide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supernt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone here have experience with this shop? What kind of work do they turn out? I am looking at one of their "recreation and defense" 1911's. </div></div>
I have no personal experience with them,but take a look at
www.fusionfirearms.com
Bob Serva has been turning out some nice 1911 for a long time.

I had them setup for some tweeking to my bobtail comm.. Then they went AWOL. wouldn't return emails....etc

If you are going to spend 2k - CS would be fine, but I would highly recommend Steve Morrison (MARS Armament - his THUG1911 or Axiom, he builds on Colt frames), Dave Lauck DL Sports, Paul Liebenberg Pistol Dynamics. Chuck Rogers, Ted Christianson...... can't go wrong but will wait a good while

Doesn't hurt to call and chat a bit, see who you like and who has the "right" delivery time and the product of your needs.

just some ideas. Hated my Wilson CQB and Wilson's CSvc, like RRA or Ed Brown for semi custom. Maybe get lucky and have Dave Williams work some magic at SA.

You can't put a C&S pistol in the same class as a Baer, Wilson, or Brown. You can try but it's like putting a square peg in a round hole. The comparison won't fit. World class PistolSmiths at C&S.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuXi115</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In my opinion, the Baer's of today are not the Baers of yester-year. The models I handled at SHOT Show 09 were not the quality that I expected nor where they on par with older model 1911s from the same shop. </div></div>

Unfortunately this can be said of most of the large 1911 shops that started out small, built a great rep with amazing quality and have now become much larger and branched out. (Wilson, Baer, Brown, Nighthawk, etc) They still build good guns, but not at the level they used to. Many of them have shifted to time/money saving practices that reduce the level of hand fitting and part quality. It's just too hard to keep quality in check when production has to increase by an order of magnitude or two, and priorities shift from building a reputation to profits. Branching out into making AR's, Rifles, and shotguns doesn't help either.

C&S has a very good rep, and they are still a small high end shop and every built gun I've handled from them was impeccable. I wouldn't hesitate to have them do a 1911 build for me.

1911wrench - not sure where I put C&S in the same class for quality as Brown, Wilson, or RRA..... maybe I am misreading your response. C&S has the smiths to do good work and I would like to support those in NE.

Just offering up some options for the gent to check out to make a decision that works for him. I think we all agree that 2.1k+ on a 1911 is a lot of coin and a person who is looking for insight should be given multiple options to see what works for them. Especially if they haven't heard or talked to some of the gunsmiths mentioned in posts like this. Who knows, maybe a Rock or Brown fit him well and can be had for 1000-1600$$.

as I ended my initial post - just some ideas and options to check out before dropping $$$$

I think and know by owning a C&S 1911 they are nice. They are top notch. But I would look around or talk to them and get the pistol you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911wrench - not sure where I put C&S in the same class for quality as Brown, Wilson, or RRA..... maybe I am misreading your response. C&S has the smiths to do good work and I would like to support those in NE.

Just offering up some options for the gent to check out to make a decision that works for him. I think we all agree that 2.1k+ on a 1911 is a lot of coin and a person who is looking for insight should be given multiple options to see what works for them. Especially if they haven't heard or talked to some of the gunsmiths mentioned in posts like this. Who knows, maybe a Rock or Brown fit him well and can be had for 1000-1600$$.

as I ended my initial post - just some ideas and options to check out before dropping $$$$

</div></div>

Wolf22, statements made in my post are completely independent and in no way reflect anything said in your post. Knowing a little something the difference between attention to detail and detailed attention to the end user. C & S for me is a hands down first choice for advice solicited of poster.