• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 452 American

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
Afternoon Folks!

A few months back, my Dad handed down several of his rifles and included in that bundle was a CZ 452 American (Varmint I think). After reading up on this model, I think I have 2 questions:

1) How do I determine if the dovetail mount if 11mm or 3/8"? Seems everywhere I read, I feel like 3/8" is the right measurement, but there's always a little note that says some rifles have 11mm, lol

2) Not rifle related, but.....it currently wears a Simmons ProAir scope. I know nothing about air rifle scopes, but wonder if this is a good choice.

Much appreciated,
joe

1) How do I determine if the dovetail mount if 11mm or 3/8"? Seems everywhere I read, I feel like 3/8" is the right measurement, but there's always a little note that says some rifles have 11mm, lol

2) Not rifle related, but.....it currently wears a Simmons ProAir scope. I know nothing about air rifle scopes, but wonder if this is a good choice.

Much appreciated,
joe
1) Does it measure 11mm across the top of the rail or 12.7(or 3/8” across the bottom)? Being 11mm or not is probably the easier question.

2) I wouldn’t imagine Simmons anything is worth a damn. But it it’s zeroed and holds it then that’s worth something I guess.

Reactions: jlorensen
A few months back, my Dad handed down several of his rifles and included in that bundle was a CZ 452 American (Varmint I think). After reading up on this model, I think I have 2 questions:

Is the rifle a .22LR or a rimfire magnum? I ask because CZ 452 Varmint models in 17hmr or 22wmr have CZ 452 American receivers. That is to say they will have "American" stamped on the receiver. (This explains why the magnum 452 models have a rear action bolt in the tang as well as one in front of the trigger. The .22LR Varmint has an action screw in front of the trigger and a barrel lug.)

See this chart for dovetial sizes.

Is the rifle a .22LR or a rimfire magnum? I ask because CZ 452 Varmint models in 17hmr or 22wmr have CZ 452 American receivers. That is to say they will have "American" stamped on the receiver. (This explains why the magnum 452 models have a rear action bolt in the tang as well as one in front of the trigger. The .22LR Varmint has an action screw in front of the trigger and a barrel lug.)

See this chart for dovetial sizes.

It's a .17 HMR, with American stamped on the receiver.

Got this little guy out with the kids this morning.....I'd forgotten how much fun the .17 Hmr is, and my kids had a blast ringing steel. We'd stuck to the 50 yd range, now that everyone has a feel for the rifle, the 100 yd benches will be next!

One thing for those with experience.......when we filled the mag to 5 rounds, we could not get the first round to feed. It most definitely jams against the bottom edge of the chamber. If we removed 1 round, all went smooth. It looked like adding the 5th round had that round laying very horizontal rather than slightly tipped up........any fix for this situation? Not a huge deal, as 4 rounds is plenty, just wondering more than anything.

Cheers!