• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 452 in Manners stock observation

762frmafr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
So I have had a CZ 452 in a Manners T4 stock for quite some time. I have a problem that has occurred and i am wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem or can think of any fixes for it. The dovetailed lug on the back of the receiver has pulled out of the receiver. This appears to have happened from over tightening the rear screw. It does not appear to have messed up the receiver. Only the lug as shown in the pics. I spoke with CZ and they are sending me a new lug. I am not quite sure what to do in order to prevent this from happening again. I realize it is a matter of torque, but the rear bolt never seemed like it was getting tight. Maybe bed that area of the stock? What say you?

rearlug.jpg

Re: CZ 452 in Manners stock observation

Did you ever get it to torque up Steve or has it been FUBAR since day 1? Any idea of what it has been torqued to? I would think bedding would help, but like you would like to know why it happened in the first place.

Casey

Use a specific amount of torque to prevent over tightening. I have not had any problems with mine it all fits like a glove and torqued right to 20"lbs. Maybe when you get the new lug in try epoxying it to the receiver. That might help hold it in and keep it from pulling out. You could have just gotten a lug made from sub par steel as well.

Just curious which model 452 is it? I have the 452 Varmint and it only attaches to the receiver with one screw in the center of the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Suresperance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a specific amount of torque to prevent over tightening. I have not had any problems with mine it all fits like a glove and torqued right to 20"lbs. Maybe when you get the new lug in try epoxying it to the receiver. That might help hold it in and keep it from pulling out. You could have just gotten a lug made from sub par steel as well. </div></div>

This screw would never torque down. That is one of the problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious which model 452 is it? I have the 452 Varmint and it only attaches to the receiver with one screw in the center of the action. </div></div>

CZ 452 American.

After further inspection I believe I have found the culprit and solution. I measured from where the action sits on the stock to the bottom of the lug hole. Then I measured from the bottom of the action to the end of the lug. The difference between these 2 measurements is .118" which is almost 1/8". What I will do once CZ sends me the new lug is add some spacers to the bottom of the lug hole in the stock. That way once everything makes contact, there will be no more room for the lug to pull out of the action. I will keep this thread updated once my part comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After further inspection I believe I have found the culprit and solution. I measured from where the action sits on the stock to the bottom of the lug hole. Then I measured from the bottom of the action to the end of the lug. The difference between these 2 measurements is .118" which is almost 1/8". What I will do once CZ sends me the new lug is add some spacers to the bottom of the lug hole in the stock. That way once everything makes contact, there will be no more room for the lug to pull out of the action. I will keep this thread updated once my part comes in. </div></div>Hi Steve, The rear screw boss on a 452 floats in our stocks just like they do in the factory stocks. The only exception to this is the front barrel boss on a 452 varmint which sets flush. How many inch pounds did you torg it to? 20" pounds should have never pulled the boss out, unless it was very soft. Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thomas Manners</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After further inspection I believe I have found the culprit and solution. I measured from where the action sits on the stock to the bottom of the lug hole. Then I measured from the bottom of the action to the end of the lug. The difference between these 2 measurements is .118" which is almost 1/8". What I will do once CZ sends me the new lug is add some spacers to the bottom of the lug hole in the stock. That way once everything makes contact, there will be no more room for the lug to pull out of the action. I will keep this thread updated once my part comes in. </div></div>Hi Steve, The rear screw boss on a 452 floats in our stocks just like they do in the factory stocks. The only exception to this is the front barrel boss on a 452 varmint which sets flush. How many inch pounds did you torg it to? 20" pounds should have never pulled the boss out, unless it was very soft. Thank you </div></div>

I am not trying to lay blame on anyone Tom. Like I said previous, it seemed like the rear screw never really would tighten up. Maybe the boss was too soft. I will await the new one from CZ and try my "fix" and report back. I love the stock and could not ask for more from your company. Thank you for responding though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote]I am not trying to lay blame on anyone Tom. Like I said previous, it seemed like the rear screw never really would tighten up. Maybe the boss was too soft. I will await the new one from CZ and try my "fix" and report back. I love the stock and could not ask for more from your company. Thank you for responding though. </div></div>

No problem Steve, I didnt take it that way. I think that we bedded the small back tang on your action, instead of the washers I would bed the bottom of the boss. Its going to be hard to determine the amount of washers to get the action pulled down so that it is setting correctly on the old bedding with out a gap. This would take just a few minutes, next time you are in KC stop by and I can do it for you. THanks

Is 20 in/lb the correct torque specs for the new 455 trainer in the manners stock as well? The instruction manual listed at 6NM which if I am not mistaken translates to 53 in/lbs. I could not bring myself to torque the screws that tight, but may be I should?

If its pillar bedded you will be fine. My 455 in the wood stock (pillar bedded) liked 36 in/lbs. The OEM spec is conservative as to prevent damaging the wood stock which dosnt have much support.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddd oo7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is 20 in/lb the correct torque specs for the new 455 trainer in the manners stock as well? The instruction manual listed at 6NM which if I am not mistaken translates to 53 in/lbs. I could not bring myself to torque the screws that tight, but may be I should? </div></div>Hi, I would start out around 40inch pounds on the 455 action. You should not have any problems at all. It is a totaly different action than the 452 american actions. All the action screws, screw direct into the body of the action on a 455, It does not have the action screw boss that is dove tailed into the action. This dove tail on the 452's actualy have some play in them. If you pull a 452 barreled action out of the stock this boss will actualy fall out if you rotate the action on its side. You need to be careful when you run a pillar on it. You could actualy torgue the boss down to the pillar, and still have this play if the action is not fully seated in the stock . That is why they leave a gap under this boss so that the action is pulled down and seated into the stock. If you still want to run a pillar on the 452 American, just do a bed job on the action and you should not have any issues. Thanks

I will start somewhere around 40 in/lbs. I have never thought about it, but I am guessing with the front pillar and the back of the action floating I bet tweaking the back screw will drastically change how it shoots.

So, the new lug came from CZ today. My "fix" was as follows. I measured from where the bottom of the receiver sits on the stock to the bottom of the hole that the lug goes in to. Then i measured from the bottom of the receiver to the bottom of the lug. I took the difference between these two measurements which was .118". I made a spacer that thickness that would fit in to the lug hole. I then tightened everything down and for the first time since owning the stock, it will tighten down. I believe it has been fixed.

You have me wondering if my lug hits the bottom of the inlet or not ill measure when I get home from work and post what I find ... mine torqued right up no problem so I'm curious.

Curious that this was an issue on the 452 American, as the 452 Varmint has an almost identical means of screwing everything together with the barrel, but never had an issue with being able to torque mine down, at least.

The inlet for the 452V has a pillar up front. Does the inlet for the 452 American have a pillar in the rear?? I haven't seen any mention of one, and when I first got my stock with an American inlet, I don't recall seeing one there. Just spitballing, wondering if it might have any impact on what Steve experienced with his rifle. It kinda seems to me like one of the potential variables here. Love my rifle and stock combo. Good that you were able to get a fix done for it as well.