• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 453 .22lr Varmint/ barrel threading

TrapperJ

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
South FL
My CZ 453 .22lr Varmint just came in. It has a beautiful stock with tiger stripe wood grain. The factory single set trigger is 3 lbs. primary and 1 lb 4 oz.set. The factory barrel is 20.9 in.
My question is: What length should I have the barrel cut to before threading?

Re: CZ 453 .22lr Varmint/ barrel threading

I had my cut down to 16 1/2". Its lighter and easier to handle. Unless you're using iron sights for a better sight radius you're not going to gain much with a longer barrel.

lou400. I'm in SE Fl also. Did you have your barrel threaded locally?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave it as long as possible </div></div>

i agree

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lou400. I'm in SE Fl also. Did you have your barrel threaded locally? </div></div>

I've sent it to Hooper. He's in Bama

Here's a test done on a barrel length vs velocity with cz rimfires CZ barrel lenth
Not sure what exactly you're going to gain with longer barrel, except allowing the bullet to spend more time in the barrel. At lower velocities (compared to center fires) this allows the shooter to make more mistakes and open up the groups. Than again, that should help with one's training, but it will not increase your velocity or accuracy.

Cut it as short as possible. I have done 16" on most, tempted to SBR one and go to 13-14, like the factory Anschutz threaded guns.

I like a 19 Inch barrel on a 22. Just make sure whoever re-does the crown knows what they're doing. The factory CZ barrels are fantastic. I wouldn't even mess with it. Just thread it as-is.

-Dylan

How much would cutting a CZ barrel to 16" effect suppression with a SilencerCo Sparrow?

I had ADCO cut mine(452 varmint, not 453) to 16.5 and install the OPSINC brake and collar to use my 12th model on it. Works great, very handy with the can off and not bad with the can on. It balances a few inches in front of the trigger guard. It shoots as well or better than the stock 452 varmint I used to have. Maybe the shorter barrel has better harmonics or less drag on the bullets? Mental thing only? I don't know. It just seems to do a little better. I plan on having a rear screw lug installed to get rid of the barrel dovetail block arrangement.

If u do a rear lug post pics I been wanting to do that myself

I thought about a rear lug.....ended up capturingnthe front lug with a set screw and island bedding it when I bedded the action.

I saw this and thought I would share. I was trying to decide the same thing recently. I was not sure if I wanted to go 16" since the rifle would be shot mainly suppressed or 18" to be a little more practical. I went 17"
smile.gif
. I received the CZ 453 back from a cut/thread job a couple weeks ago by APA(American Precision Arms) and am very pleased with the work they did. The price was good, CS was great and the end result is best of all. There is a little anti-seize still on the threads, add my lack of photography skills and the flash but I think you can still see the quality work they(APA) did. I have only shot suppressed so far but the return to zero after removing and reinstalling the can is perfect. http://
IMG_0824.jpg
http://
IMG_0823.jpg
http://
IMG_0825.jpg