• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 455 Precision Trainer w/ Fedderson barrel

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
I purchased a new CZ455 PT back in early December and though it shot well I just have not been pleased with its performance. The only modification I made was a trigger job by my smith who does wonders on CZ triggers. The ammo of choice has been Fiocchi 320 and has shot very good at the longer ranges but 50 yards group hovered around 1/2" +/-.
I had played with the idea of a lilja barrel and had read of Fedderson and found a ton of info on his popular 10/22 barrel but not alot of info on his 455 barrels. I gave Mr. Fedderson a call and he told me to try it and send it back if it didn't perform to my expectations. He expressed why some 455s would shoot well with his barrel and why some would not. He related this to the recievers not being truly round which would cause accuracy issues with his barrel.
I pulled the trigger and got a 16" threaded heavy barrel to my door for $190.00.
Barrel installed, scope zeroed and dang shes a hammer. Tested indoors, 50 yards, with can and w/out and results are as follows 5 shot groups:
With Can:
Wolf Match .353
Norma Match .334
Geco semi auto .278

W/out can
Wolf Match. .198
Geco. .202
Norma Match. .212 ( I subtracted a called flyer)

What is really surprising is the Geco is $3.99 a box!
I will be doing some more extensive testing at distance wind time and weather cooperates.

Nice!

Sounds like you got a good one. Post some pics of the rifle and groups when you get time. Wish there was more reviews of the 455 Feddersen barrels and also the Whistle Pig 455 barrels.

I purchased a new CZ455 PT back in early December and though it shot well I just have not been pleased with its performance. The only modification I made was a trigger job by my smith who does wonders on CZ triggers. The ammo of choice has been Fiocchi 320 and has shot very good at the longer ranges but 50 yards group hovered around 1/2" +/-.
I had played with the idea of a lilja barrel and had read of Fedderson and found a ton of info on his popular 10/22 barrel but not alot of info on his 455 barrels. I gave Mr. Fedderson a call and he told me to try it and send it back if it didn't perform to my expectations. He expressed why some 455s would shoot well with his barrel and why some would not. He related this to the recievers not being truly round which would cause accuracy issues with his barrel.
I pulled the trigger and got a 16" threaded heavy barrel to my door for $190.00.
Barrel installed, scope zeroed and dang shes a hammer. Tested indoors, 50 yards, with can and w/out and results are as follows 5 shot groups:
With Can:
Wolf Match .353
Norma Match .334
Geco semi auto .278

W/out can
Wolf Match. .198
Geco. .202

I will be doing some more extensive testing at distance wind time and weather cooperates.
I am interested in the Fedderson as well some pictures would be cool. I m assuming just drop in an away you go?

With Can:
Wolf Match .353
Norma Match .334
Geco semi auto .278

W/out can
Wolf Match. .198
Geco. .202

That's impressive!

I'm a little surprised the can had that much impact on group size. Which can do you have?

Very nice I’ve been thinking of rebarreling my sons 455PT with a lilja but this has my interest for sure.

I went looking for a fedderson barrel a little while back and they were sold out with no backorder. I inquired as to when they may have some back in stock and was told they had no current plans due to a bigger project taking precedence.

I went looking for a fedderson barrel a little while back and they were sold out with no backorder. I inquired as to when they may have some back in stock and was told they had no current plans due to a bigger project taking precedence.
That's too bad. I wanted to get one of there barrels too.
You might consider a WhistlePig barrel. I picked up a CZ455 barrel from them (haven't shot it yet but paid ~$200.00) and I have been testing a 17hm2 barrel (have shot about 100 rounds through it) and the 17hm2 barrel is shooting ~ 0.25" CTC at 25 yards, 0.50" CTC @ 50 and 0.75" CTC @ 100 (the 100 yard group was only 1 group of 5 shots). (Link) - All I had on hand was CCI ammo. Groups would probably be better with a better scope, trigger, and bedding the stock.

I am hoping the 0.22lr barrel shoot as well as the 17hm2 barrel. One bonus has been the handling with the lighter barrel.

Reactions: reeljob
With these barrels, do you use shims to ensure correct headspace?

Is there a video on how to measure head space and shim the barrel for the cz 455? I never did it before.

From a safety stand point, the Barrels are drop in and will be perfectly fine. On the accuracy side not so much. I designed the shim Barrels for Lilja and they are the only way to do a drop in with out custom fitting and getting solid accuracy. To measure it requires the use of a quality depth micrometer. Simply cock the action and measure from receiver face to bolt face recess. All shanks are 1.200” Long. So let’s say you get 1.235” from receiver face to bolt face recess and want .043” for headspace. 1.235”- .043” = 1.192”. That means you need to shim the barrel .008”. Very easy to do you just need the proper measuring tool is all.

Simply cock the action and measure from receiver face to bolt face recess. Yea but I never did it before, a picture would help me out bigtime. The only thing I don't like about Lilja Barrels is I want one black to match my receiver.

I just installed a Lilja barrel on my 455, piece of cake. They supply an instruction sheet with the barrel. Had to shim mine .009, shoots great!