• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 455 PT action screws torque value

EKIM1428

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Long Island
What are you guys torquing your action screws down to on the CZ455 with the Manners stock? I've read everything from 22-50 something inch lbs. I want to get in the ball park and tune from there.

CZ specs are 5Nm and 6 Nm for the 455.
Multiple gunsmiths have stated that those specs are wrong.
Looking at machinist's torque tables, the values are correct for the screw sizes,
but only for dry threads. Lubricated threads for the same 6mm screws,
the recommended value is 60% of the dry torque specs.
That works out to about 28 inch lbs for the barrel set screws
and 30 inch lbs for the stock screws. Testing on my 455's,
with a bedded/pillared receiver, shows best accuracy with 28 inch lbs
at the rear stock screw and 24 inch lbs on the forward action screw.

I saw those CZ specs and thought they had to be incorrect. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'll start around the mid 20 inch lb range and go from there.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but what action screws do you use with the PT?

I don't have this combo but i have the 455 + Boyd's Tacticool stock, and the J&P screws I got for the factory 455 + walnut stock is too short in the front... Any suggestions? Thanks.

I've been torquing them dry...should I be doing it lubricated?

A follow up question then for Justin amateur: Just to be clear--those values you stated of 28 in/lbs (rear action) and 24 in/lbs (forward action) was lubricated?
I ask because that is basically what I've been using as well...only dry. This is in a Manners stock btw.

Thanks!

Cpro, after cleaning the action and wiping down the bolt and receiver
there's always a small amount of lube left in all the threaded holes.
So I'd have to say that I'm torquing it with lubricated threads.