• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 455 "Tacticool" or wait for Tikka T1x

Rate_of_Twist

Rate Of Twist
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2018
www.rateoftwist.com
Just like the title says, which one? I have my local gun shop that has a CZ455 Tacticool model in stock for a little over $500 or I can wait for the T1x. I'm looking to build a trainer for cheap practice while I wait for my PVA JH. This will also be used for my wife and kids to work on sone skills with, so I really don't want to spend $2k on a rim fire.

I like that potentially I can put the T1x in a KRG Bravo (pending a mag solution) but the CZ is more ready to go out of the box If it shoot straight.

Thoughts?

The CZ455 has a pretty proven record and you can get plenty of parts from DIP for improvements in the future if you elect. I don't think you can can go wrong on either decision. Enjoy shooting with the kids.

I literally just went through this barely a month ago. I love Tikka rifles and have no doubt that the T1x is a fantastic rifle, especially considering it's supposed to fit into the same stocks as the T3's. But given the track record that the CZ has and that I could get it right away, I got the 455 Tacticool. Odds are you'll be just as happy either way you go, it's just a matter of how much patience you have.

Last edited:
I have had one beautiful CZ-455 varmint, and i did build it to very good one and good shooting rifle.
But i had to make it to be good, most thing was the trigger, it is easy to do the normal unit to be a amazing, name of that is Youdave´s kit.
But the Tikka is stunning, because it has the same trigger what has in normal Tikka T3 rifle.
So if you have some other Tikka rifle, you go the same trigger in our both guns.
And T1X and T3/X Tikka use same chassis/stock, so you will be have very many other stock to use.
But both of them are great guns.

I used to have a cz 455 varmint 22lr that would drive tacks at 25y. Then I had a stupid moment and sold it to fund something else ?Regretted it ever since and plan on owning another in the near future.

I have a CZ 455 Tacticool. It shoots well. I put an Atholon scope on it
and have shot it a lot.
We shoot off the porch at targets that are 85 yards away. With CCI quiet 22lr ammo I practice hold over and can watch the bullet hit the target.
The only other thing I would like to do to it is an adjustable comb.

Unfortunately I have zero experience with Tikka but with 4 CZ's I can give an opinion on them. I actually went through this process with a Tacticool almost a year ago. My Tacticool now is a sub moa rifle (with proper ammo) to 100 yds, out of the box it was not. Let's face it, in the bolt gun world 500$ is an entry point. The bones of a CZ are good but at that price point the fine details of a consistently accurate rifle are not there. You may "win the lottery" and get one that shoots right out the box, more likely you'll have to add a little work and a few $. By far the most common mods are:
* picatinny adapter rails for the 11mm dovetail rail on the receiver.
* Trigger mods, Yo Dave, DIP, Timney, CZ Fly.
* Pillar bedding.
I also added DIP bottom metal, forearm picatinny rail and Grovtec QD pots. In the end sitting close to $1000. I don't know what your end game is for this rifle or your definition of accurate enough but that's a common path for many. If you haven't found the CZ forum on Rimfire Central you can get tons of info there.
Best of Luck

I love the CZ 455. I have the Varmint. It has been super accurate and I love the weight and balance plus the great classic looks.
IMG_1772.jpg

I have a CZ455 that started out as a Tacticool. I upgraded to a Manners stock only because I got a god deal on it. You could get a KRG for the 455 if that’s the chassis you want. If they come out with a Bravo Chassis I would probably try one.

My CZ shot great out of the box and I was splitting playing cards, matchsticks and toothpicks in short order.

The Tikka is appealing just too bad they are not readily avaialable yet.

Reactions: Skok3y
I'm leaning heavily toward the 455....

I'm looking for something accurate enough to build some marksmanship skills and compete (for fun) in some 22 PRS /NRL type events

After reading a bunch, I really want a V-22 but that's another $3k before its ready to shoot when factoring glass.... I cant do that and still be in the process of getting everything i need for my PVA JH.

The T1x is delayed and is still an unknown so that may eliminate that from consideration.

I dont think savage or ruger are what I'm looking for...

So, CZ 455? There is a Tacticool at my LGS for $519 but I would prefer a 20" barrel. I can order a Precision Trainer 20" for $789 but it still may need a barrel replacement to shoot decent? Or I could buy the varmint model but it would need a new stock right away...

CZs are extremely popular as they are highly customizable. Barrels are hit and miss, but plenty of people shoot with the stock barrel, and shoot well. My 455 shot MOA, but my 452s both shoot better stock. I chose to go with an upgraded barrel on my 455.

The precision trainer only upgrades the stock, so it is up to you if you want to spend the extra. Academy Sports has a 20% off coupon right now, which would get it down to $720 before tax. You can often find a good deal on a Varmint, and then just upgrade the stock, as they are drop in, and you can choose the stock you want. You may be able to save a little over a stock Tacticool if you go this route, but probably not much, maybe get it for $450-500 range if you find a pull off Tacticool stock. Or you can build it up and spend more on the stock or a chassis, and spend close to the $720-790 you are planning on spending for a VOT but with the stock of your choice. That being said, if your stock of choice is the Precision Trainer Manners stock, they don’t come up often at all!!

Liked my CZ452 so much I sold my Anschutz ... the Annie was the better gun but for $2000 less you can't beat a CZ. the Auschutz was too accurate it got boring to shoot.

Don't get hung up on barrel thickness they all shoot great, I had a 452 Varmint ... I liked the look and feel of the taper bull but it was less consistent then my mil trainer. Plus the mil trainer has exceptional open sights.

CZs are extremely popular as they are highly customizable. Barrels are hit and miss, but plenty of people shoot with the stock barrel, and shoot well. My 455 shot MOA, but my 452s both shoot better stock. I chose to go with an upgraded barrel on my 455.

The precision trainer only upgrades the stock, so it is up to you if you want to spend the extra. Academy Sports has a 20% off coupon right now, which would get it down to $720 before tax. You can often find a good deal on a Varmint, and then just upgrade the stock, as they are drop in, and you can choose the stock you want. You may be able to save a little over a stock Tacticool if you go this route, but probably not much, maybe get it for $450-500 range if you find a pull off Tacticool stock. Or you can build it up and spend more on the stock or a chassis, and spend close to the $720-790 you are planning on spending for a VOT but with the stock of your choice. That being said, if your stock of choice is the Precision Trainer Manners stock, they don’t come up often at all!!
What Skok3y said ^^^

I was luck and found a Manners but it was more expensive and I should have just bought the VPT which is essentially what I have now. I use the stock 16.5” barrel and it is accurate and I may eventually get a Lilja but for now I can split playing cards, hit Match stick and toothpicks.

Last edited:
Walked into my LGS and the had a 455 Tacticool for $509. I put down a deposit until a get paid in a week.

Time to stop talking about it and get shooting.

Time to start considering an optic... o will have to be on a budget for this one

Reactions: Skok3y
What is the tikka ATA now , over the pond , here we just got bumped from may to June delivery dates for first samples.

Look at the SS 10x42, bomb proof optic at $300, but you can usually find one for $250 from their samplelist.

Great scope and if you ever upgrade you’ll have a very reliable back-up.

Look at the SS 10x42, bomb proof optic at $300, but you can usually find one for $250 from their samplelist.

Great scope and if you ever upgrade you’ll have a very reliable back-up.

Will a fixed 10x42 work ok for for some fun competion type stuff? ( PRS style 22 matches )

I'm gonna have to be on a budget for this rifle to start... too many other project going, and I want to get out there shooting.

I'm going to do

YoDave spring kit
Area 419 rail
Decent used rings from the PX
Decent used bipod (harris or better)
Optic???

@**DRB**

I cannot speak accurately to PRS/NRL competition as unfortunately I have never played that sport. NRL .22 matches range from 25-100 yards. A local .22 match goes to 300 yards. It varies obviously.

I will say though that if you can live with a fixed power optic, it’ll be the best sub $500 optic out there. I personally like it as I’m never dicking with my mag ring, only the elevation turret and parallax. If and when I can enter .22 competion, I will be using this optic.

If you absolutely NEED or WANT a variable powered optic, look at the SS 3-15x42mm. If you want a tree reticle, look at the Athlon Talos BTR. I had a Talos (4-14x44mm), and while the reticle was good and well laid out (particuarly enjoied the floating cross in the center, really helped my eye focus), I did not enjoy using hold overs, nor did it really agree with my eyes/brain. So I sold it on here and purchased the SS 10x42 Mil-Quad. Love the SS!”, Mil-Quad is a clean reticle that has everything you need. Sure, I would like to see a .1 Mil inverted L as seen in the Finnaccuracy MSR reticles, have a floating center crosshair, and to have the top thick stadia on the bottom and nothing above the reticle above the 5th Mil. But besides those three minor changes, the reticle is nearly perfect. The only thing better would literally to have SS adopt the MSR-2 reticle integrated into all of their scopes, I’d happily pay that royalty!

I have never owned the SS 3-15, but have had their 3-9, and it was also an excellent optic, but had a fixed parallax. You need a variable parallax for PRS/NRL shooting, which is why I recommend the SS 10x42, SS 3-15x42, or the Athlon Talos BTR/Ares BTR.

Regardless of what you choose, practice good fundamentals and dry fire so much that its boring.

By the way, I’m also running the Area 419 rail, its excellent. Just get some decent rings, I’ve got Seekins, find a quality pair used on here and save some money.

Oh and my CZ-455 (sporter barrel) enjoies Federal Match and particuarly loves Federal Ultramatch.

Reactions: Rate_of_Twist
Unfortunately I have zero experience with Tikka but with 4 CZ's I can give an opinion on them. I actually went through this process with a Tacticool almost a year ago. My Tacticool now is a sub moa rifle (with proper ammo) to 100 yds, out of the box it was not. Let's face it, in the bolt gun world 500$ is an entry point. The bones of a CZ are good but at that price point the fine details of a consistently accurate rifle are not there. You may "win the lottery" and get one that shoots right out the box, more likely you'll have to add a little work and a few $. By far the most common mods are:
* picatinny adapter rails for the 11mm dovetail rail on the receiver.
* Trigger mods, Yo Dave, DIP, Timney, CZ Fly.
* Pillar bedding.
I also added DIP bottom metal, forearm picatinny rail and Grovtec QD pots. In the end sitting close to $1000. I don't know what your end game is for this rifle or your definition of accurate enough but that's a common path for many. If you haven't found the CZ forum on Rimfire Central you can get tons of info there.
Best of Luck

I would love to see a picture. My CZ455 is just the plain Varmint model. I’ve added an EGW rail and an Athlon Argos 6-24. Finally was able to shoot it yesterday and it’s the best out of box shooter I’ve had. I haven’t even touched the trigger yet.

DRB - not sure how much help i can be but i'm a new shooter at the .22 game with a stock-ish 455 tacticool. No trigger mods, stock barrel, harris bipod, dip 30 moa rail, stock pack / cheek riser combo and SWFA 12x scope.

they make great scopes for the money and i don't think it is what is limiting my success so far. i think i've only wished i had a wider field of view that would come from having lower mag on maybe 2 or 3 stages out of 3 matches shot so far.

the only issue i've had with mine is it seems like a really tight eye box, at least for me and my inconsistent positioning on the cheek riser.

I have a 455 Varmint I've pillar and glass bedded in a Boyds Pro Varmint (i.e. Tacticool, $200 with optional cheeck riser) stock. The trigger is stock with a Yo Dave spring to bring it down to 1.5lb. It consistently shoots 1/2 MOA at 50yds and 100yds with Eley Edge and Lapua Midas+ when the wind cooperates. Since I did the pillar and bedding job myself, I have about $600 invested in the rifle not counting the optices and DIP rail.

After shooting my rifle, a friend bought a 455 Tacticool and had his smith glass bed it and slick the trigger up for $150, or so, to get rid of most, but not all, of the creep. With SK Standard Plus, he regularly shoots 1/2 MOA at 100yds.

The point is, these are great rifles at a bargain price that maybe need a bit of tweaking to perform their best.

IMG_5795.JPG
This is shot 6-10 on my 455 Varmint. Had 5 sighters then shot that group. And it consistently hits a 1/2 diameter plate @ 65 yards. I'm curious to see what it will do when I get a better scope. It's sporting a 4x now.

Reactions: rawhide101
My Area 419 30moa rail is due in today. Was going to put a SWFA fixed mag scope on, but saw the 20% eBay coupon today so I ordered up a Athlon Talos BTR for $219.

Threw a Harris bipod on for cheap

Just need rings and I'm ready to go shooting.

I'm sure there will be lots of upgrades later, but for now it will be nice to shoot something I've spent money on

I dont have a 455 but do have a 452 and the best upgrade I did was the trigger, yo dave the area 419 rail is a very nice rail and their customer service is first rate. Get it together and enjoy remember you can never have to many rimfires....;)

My source tells me the tikkas should be available by September :(. I’m hoping it’s much sooner than that but it doesn’t look promising :(. The main advantages I see with the tikka currently is that there are many after market parts for the T3 such as triggers and stocks that work on the T1x. Bolt lift will be less than the cz which is a plus for many and the T1x has a separate bolt release which is a very nice touch. I’m confident the cz will remain easier to bed and rebarrel but I’m sure in the end if a full build with either is the goal, accuracy will be the same. Soon as they are available I already got one reserved to see what I can do with it :).

I have also seen most european dealers now advertising september as well , not gret but it is what it is bunch of friend already reseved and paid deposits for early may delivery but loks like semptember . I am a bit currious why tikka is having issues with delivery.

My source tells me the tikkas should be available by September :(. I’m hoping it’s much sooner than that but it doesn’t look promising :(. The main advantages I see with the tikka currently is that there are many after market parts for the T3 such as triggers and stocks that work on the T1x. Bolt lift will be less than the cz which is a plus for many and the T1x has a separate bolt release which is a very nice touch. I’m confident the cz will remain easier to bed and rebarrel but I’m sure in the end if a full build with either is the goal, accuracy will be the same. Soon as they are available I already got one reserved to see what I can do with it :).

Don, I checked with KRG and they said their chassis should fit, but the mag area may need redevelopment. They don't have a T1x to confirm.

The guy who won the base class at the NRL22 championship was using a fixed 10x swfa, at least for the local matches I shot with him in CO. He and another guy both had the same scope and seemed happy with it, except they did complain a couple times about not being able to quickly find close targets at 25 yards with the fixed 10. They both noted they would have like to have the variable SWFA for that. I know the OP has already figured something out, but maybe this helps someone else down the line.

Reactions: PBWalsh