• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 455 Varmint at the range

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
So here's my newly acquired CZ 455, in .22LR. Out of the box, it came with one 5 rd mag, I bought an extra 10 rounder as well. The bolt body had some light rust marks on it, I'm going to have to find a way to fix and prevent that.

Bolt closure and safety are rough at the moment, I'm hoping it'll start feeling smoother with use. The trigger has very little creep, and isn't very heavy, but I'll probably go with a Rifle Basix or Timney in the near future, after pillars and bedding are done.

I've got a Primary Arms 4-14x44 mil/mil FFP scope in UTG dovetail rings on top. The scope tracks well, I haven't done a box test, but I zeroed using the reticle to measure my offset and the adjustments I dialed were spot on.

The group shown here is 5 rounds at 50 yards, fired off a front rest and rear bag, with the rifle in factory condition. I used American Eagle, Remington Golden Bullet, CCI Blazer, and Winchester Super X.

The Super X had the worst group at well over an inch, and the Blazer was very hard to chamber. I could put the bolt forward with the Blazer, but I had to really crank down on the bolt handle after that.

Overall, I'm pleased with the rifle, especially at the considerable price difference vs trying to get a 40x, Anschutz, or even just a 541, etc... I almost wish I had the Manners stock that their precision trainer comes with, but in keeping with the budget trainer approach, it'll get a Boyd's clone of the Manners.

pdFw8g4l.jpg

FK8QUM6l.jpg

Well, the old school wood stock just wasn't working for me. It was too uncomfortable to get a proper cheek weld, so I got a Boyd's Tacticool in today, along with some other accessories. There's a PTG bolt knob, and limited rotation flush cups, as well as an Atlas Picatinny rail so I can use that QD bipod I shelled out for.

I could have gotten a Manners stock, but at triple the price without any real benefits over the Boyds, I didn't see the value in it. The Tacticool has a huge channel gouged out under where the barrel will lay, I may look into filling it with epoxy to stiffen the forend some.

U8fs8t6l.jpg