• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 - Area 419 Rail 30 MOA - Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 and Vortex Low (0.87”) Rings - AM I GOOD?

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
Pick up the CZ 457 tomorrow and have the rings and scope on hand. Won’t have the rail for a few days…. Anyone know if I’m going to have clearance issues?

I think you’ll be good to go. Here’s my setup, not exactly apples to apples but we’re in the ballpark.

CZ 455, Area 419 30MOA rail, 1” high rings (a little higher than yours), but with a scope that has a 56mm objective lens. Have about 1/4” clearance including the scope cap.
48A391F9-E8FC-446C-9D55-D6AFCAE84FEC.jpeg

I don't know whether your 457 has or will have an adjustable comb (cheek piece)... but if it does, and you have the option of exchanging rings, I'd go for higher rings whether you have clearance or not.

Reason: with an adjustable comb, you can always raise it for optimal cheek weld with higher rings. But if the scope is too low - whether for scope bell clearance (especially with sunshade in place, and as you gain experience you WILL use the sunshade) or for comfort - you are stuck.

What if your current setup puts the scope bell 1/8" above bore and you re-barrel with an MTU, Heavy Varmint, or some other really thick barrel contour... oops, the low rings almost certainly won't work anymore.

Better to have options.

Some people cling to the notion that a scope must be mounted as close to the barrel as possible. This is outdated nonsense in our era of ballistic calculators. Put the correct scope height above the bore into the calculator and it doesn't matter if the height is 1.5" or 3" above bore.

After five years, eight different rifles, and at least that many scopes, I use 1.26" Vortex PMR (Seekins) rings on everything that isn't using a one-piece mount. For my long, arthritic neck, I move the adjustable comb up about 1/4 inch from "flat" on my MPA and MDT chassis. With .87" rings, I couldn't even use the optic.

That's my $.02. I have a buddy, also on the downhill side of 60, who prefers low-mounted scopes. Run what works for you, and enjoy.