• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Lilja varmint 21" barrel

Merlin O

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2006
Friendswood TX
If anyone has any direct knowledge of the current drop in 21" Varmint Lilja barrel I would appreciate your experiences with it. I see on their website that they are now listing the chamber as a Lilja 2 and I would also appreciate any information as to that chamber - likes or dislikes. The Lilja website states it is "made by PTG"..? I have seen the specs on the PTG chamber - is this the same as the Lilja 2 .. or something similar. Really hoping to use Lapua or SK ammo as that's what most of my nicer toys like....

I know someone posted a great little reference chart showing various chamber dimensions but I failed to download the reference and now can't/haven't found it.

Opinions appreciated. Thanks!

Hello, I recently acquired the tapered varmit barrel. Slightly used according to the seller. I have it in a 457 pro varmit stock and shoot it with a atlas and rear bag. It shoots good, I'm still learning good technique to be consistent myself. Found some information about the Lilja 2 chamber on their site somewhere, It was designed to take advantage of the eley EPS bullet shape on some of their ammo. Not to be confused with their EPS priming system. It does seem to have a preference for ELEY. I bought a case of ELEY standard from CMP. Bulk boxes of 500 loose in plastic bag. Have shot some really nice .300 groups but the ammo will give a flyer or two on random groups. Normally I shoot Lapua/SK. They shoot alright in this barrel also but like all 22. Had 1/2 box of edge ammo and it shot 3 nice groups. .3xx - .4xx size. Personally I think mine is screaming for a tuner but already have a 10x action rifle to shoot benchrest. Hope that answers , By the way the chamber is not real tight, in mine the rounds chamber easily. I also have a 457 MTR match barrel to compare against and the difference in chambering force is night and day. Regards Craig

Reactions: Merlin O
Received my Lilja varmint taper barrel for my 457 this morning. Watched the directions on the install several times then measured (several times) did the math. Required a .003 shim to get to my desired .041 headspace. Does not engrave - at all - on Eley Team or Club. Nor does it engrave any on Center X , SK Rifle match or KS Standard... So I put a CCI Standard in it, about the fattest and longest I shoot and had a little resistance on bolt drop but no engraving at all.

Not sure if the bullet not going into or at least not showing some engagement is detrimental to performance but I really really expected to see land marks on the bullets - like every one of my other Quality rifles.... I know the proof is in the performance so....we'll see how it goes.

Got a little wind here so I'll try testing tomorrow morning.

With the right ammo and headspace the Lilja barrel has the ability to shoot good groups. I’ve posted these results before but here you go.
these are 50 yards groups with bipod and rear bag.
5D98F773-D92F-4E07-852F-492478059900.jpeg
60F4EDDA-53AA-4061-974F-456C90ACBCB8.jpeg
E61E02C0-5B3C-47F1-A7CB-E674D2E3ACED.jpeg

Reactions: nakoa01
Thanks for that drglock.... I have some really good SK right now and hopefully it will do as well as the stuff you show here,,,,

I bought one. It’s a beautiful barrel but, honestly the factory barrel on my 455 16” shot just as good if not a little better.