• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Precision Chassis from Box to Match

TheMoondog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020

Only a fool takes a brand new rifle out of the box to a match and expects a good result. Well, I may be foolish in having high confidence in CZ's quality control; my expectations were much more realistic: I just hoped to finish the match and learn how well the rifle shot out of the box.

With the success of the Ruger RPR and Savage Precision B-22, CZ has come out with their own factory-built precision rifle based on their new 457 action. CZ paired an all-aluminum chassis of their own design, with a LUTH-AR adjustable buttstock to create a competition-ready rifle straight out of the box. I test out that claim by taking this new CZ 457 to a 100yrd competition practically right out of the box without seasoning the barrel or fine-tuning the trigger.

The course of fire had 40 scoring shots with a total maximum score of 400:
4 targets
10 shots per target
10 minutes per target
3-minute free-shot period between targets

Shooters were allowed to re-zero and test on a non-scoring sight-in target during the free-shot period.

After the CA mandated 10-day waiting period, I picked up the rifle and after filming the unboxing footage, I mounted a 6-24x50 Athlon Argos scope and bipods (which YouTube made me remove because they have issues with showing "How to assemble" or "modify" a gun on camera). Unfortunately, 22LR Match ammo has been impossible to source in any quantity in my part of the Bay Area so for this match I went with CCI Standard Velocity.

The CZ performed flawlessly. The action was smooth. The factory set 3lb trigger had a clean, crisp, break with zero over travel.

My only peev was the need to re-load halfway through each target because the CZ only came with a single 5-round magazine. For the price and for the US market, CZ should have included 2 magazines or better yet both a 5-round and a 10-round magazine.

At the end of the match, I came in 4th among the 22LR shooters.

SPECIFICATIONS

Product Name CZ 457 Varmint Precision Chassis

SKU 02361

Firearm Type Rifle

Purpose Competition

MSRP $1,039.00

Chambering 22 LR (optional 17 HMR)

Twist Rate 1:16 in

Magazine Capacity 5

Magazine Type Detachable Box

Stock Aluminum Chassis

Sights None,. Integral 11mm Dovetail

Barrel Heavy Tapered Cold Hammer Forged

Barrel Length 16.5 in or 24 in

Weight 7.65 lbs

Trigger Mech Fully Adjustable

Safety Two-Position, Push-To-Fire

::This article originally published on my blog www.moondogindustries.com ::

Last edited:
I am awaiting the arrival of my 457 VPC as we speak. This makes me feel good about my choice of platforms.
This is a revival of an old thread but relevant since it seems like allot of folks taking advantage of the recent price drop on the VPC's . ( Since CZ announced the VPC will be replaced / redesigned for 2023.) Since you brought it up, did you receive yours yet? If so, give us your thoughts.

I purchased one back in September and after a few tweaks, I love it.

Attachments

• VPC .jpg
    VPC .jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
This is a revival of an old thread but relevant since it seems like allot of folks taking advantage of the recent price drop on the VPC's . ( Since CZ announced the VPC will be replaced / redesigned for 2023.) Since you brought it up, did you receive yours yet? If so, give us your thoughts.

I purchased one back in September and after a few tweaks, I love it.
I received it, got it set up and have fell I. Love with it. It shoots moa groups with most everything except Tenex. It shoot sub moa with Center X. I practice with Tac22 and it does very well.
20221112_143059.jpg