• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Question

MAJOR2257

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2017
I have a CZ457 Varmint Chassis that I bought a little over a year ago. I haven't been able to get the rifle to shoot to the level I thought it should. I had it in my head that the actions of these two rifles were the same just different stocks. After reading more about the MTR I'm really curious if this is true? I see many articles that talk of the "MTR Chamber". Why would they put a more accurate action in a less expensive setup? I paid close to a grand for my Varmint Chassis. Are the chambers different on these two rifles?

Is it the MTR Varmint?

"Giving the Varmint Precision Chassis an upgrade in the accuracy department, this special model adds the Match chamber found in the Match Target Rifle."

Reactions: lash

"Giving the Varmint Precision Chassis an upgrade in the accuracy department, this special model adds the Match chamber found in the Match Target Rifle."
So if I understand your message, the Varmint Chassis and the MTR do not have the same chamber unless the Varmint Chassis is one of the newer ones?

Two different models, Varmint Precision Chassis and Varmint Precision Chassis MTR. Only the latter model has the MTR chamber.

CZ 457 VPC MTR.jpg

Green chassis with orange trigger housing.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
15F2E74B-06BC-4956-8AEF-F46035FAEA52.jpeg

Varmint Precision Chassis with factory tapered 24” threaded barrel. Chamber does not engrave the slug. Gun shoots to the limits of ammo consistency.

Is it marked MTR on the barrel?

Is it the more expensive of the two VPC?

I thought the match chamber versions came with a silver trigger......the green one above shows it.

Last edited:
The Varmint Precision Chassis that I have that started this thread must not have the MTR chamber. For the cost of the rifle I just assumed it would be their top of the line for precision seeing that the cost was considerably more than the MTR.

I'm leaning toward re-barreling but can't find any custom barrels available anywhere. Any suggestions?

before you buy a new barrel, Test the Action Screws are to the best torque settings. It made a big difference once i did it to mine. Start off at around 10 inch lbs and work up. I have a PDC Custom chassis and have it torqued at 55 inch lbs. My CZ457 Pro Varmint likes 22 inch lbs. It all depends on the stock/chassis that it's attached to.

25 in lbs was my max for action bolts.

The Varmint Precision Chassis that I have that started this thread must not have the MTR chamber. For the cost of the rifle I just assumed it would be their top of the line for precision seeing that the cost was considerably more than the MTR.

I'm leaning toward re-barreling but can't find any custom barrels available anywhere. Any suggestions?
The MTR costs more.

I have a CZ457 Varmint Chassis that I bought a little over a year ago. I haven't been able to get the rifle to shoot to the level I thought it should. I had it in my head that the actions of these two rifles were the same just different stocks. After reading more about the MTR I'm really curious if this is true? I see many articles that talk of the "MTR Chamber". Why would they put a more accurate action in a less expensive setup? I paid close to a grand for my Varmint Chassis. Are the chambers different on these two rifles?
Yes, the chambers are different.

This is my understanding of the CZ457 rifles; it may or may not be true/accurate.

When CZ introduced their 457 rifles, (pre-covid), their first MTR (Match Target Rifle) was the one in the walnut stock, (the 457 Varmint MTR). All of the actions of the 457 line-ups are the same, with either a "sporting" chamber, or the tighter "match" chamber designated with the MTR adder to the name. About a year later, CZ came out with their CZ457 Varmint Chassis. Again, it has the same action as all 457's but has the "sporting" chamber. I'm going to assume the price differential between the wooden stock MTR and the Varmint Chassis is due to the additional cost of the metal chassis and inflation. Around this same time CZ offered their chassis rifle with the MTR chamber, (the Varmint Precision Chassis MTR), with around a $100 adder over the Varmint Chassis for the "match" chamber.

From the CZ-USA website, I believe CZ only offers 3 rifles with the match chamber: the 457 Varmint MTR, 457 Varmint Precision Chassis MTR, and the 457 Varmint Precision Trainer MTR. Notice the MTR adder in their name?

I shoot ARA 50-yard bench rest factory class with my 457 Varmint MTR. I purchased that rifle because it had the match chamber, thinking I had to have a match chamber in order to compete. My experience has proven that to be wrong. There are plenty of people winning with short-barreled sporting chambers CZ's to prove my original thinking to be wrong. Did they win the barrel lottery? Perhaps, but I think the real reason is that these shooters have spent enough time shooting various lots of ammo with their rifles to understand how their rifles perform, and they have good shooting techniques.

In my case, the biggest enhancement I made in improving my gun's accuracy is when I purchased and began using wind flags.

Yes, the chambers are different.

This is my understanding of the CZ457 rifles; it may or may not be true/accurate.

When CZ introduced their 457 rifles, (pre-covid), their first MTR (Match Target Rifle) was the one in the walnut stock, (the 457 Varmint MTR). All of the actions of the 457 line-ups are the same, with either a "sporting" chamber, or the tighter "match" chamber designated with the MTR adder to the name. About a year later, CZ came out with their CZ457 Varmint Chassis. Again, it has the same action as all 457's but has the "sporting" chamber. I'm going to assume the price differential between the wooden stock MTR and the Varmint Chassis is due to the additional cost of the metal chassis and inflation. Around this same time CZ offered their chassis rifle with the MTR chamber, (the Varmint Precision Chassis MTR), with around a $100 adder over the Varmint Chassis for the "match" chamber.

From the CZ-USA website, I believe CZ only offers 3 rifles with the match chamber: the 457 Varmint MTR, 457 Varmint Precision Chassis MTR, and the 457 Varmint Precision Trainer MTR. Notice the MTR adder in their name?

I shoot ARA 50-yard bench rest factory class with my 457 Varmint MTR. I purchased that rifle because it had the match chamber, thinking I had to have a match chamber in order to compete. My experience has proven that to be wrong. There are plenty of people winning with short-barreled sporting chambers CZ's to prove my original thinking to be wrong. Did they win the barrel lottery? Perhaps, but I think the real reason is that these shooters have spent enough time shooting various lots of ammo with their rifles to understand how their rifles perform, and they have good shooting techniques.

In my case, the biggest enhancement I made in improving my gun's accuracy is when I purchased and began using wind flags.
Thank you for your detailed reply. The gun shop I work (retirement job) at has an MTR wooden stock for around 800.00 that I was thinking of buying then putting the barreled action in my chassis stock. After reading your reply, the match chamber isn't necessarily better, am I right? Again, I would like to just get an aftermarket barrel but they are super expensive and I know nothing about how to properly mount the barrel. Finding someone that specializes in barrel instillation also hints at being costy! I have had others suggest trying different torque on action screws and a few other things might solve the problem I just haven't had time yet. I just hate that I bought what I considered an expensive rifle (especially for a .22) and not have it shoot better.

Look at the links I posted. It absolutely does.
$1225 MSRP Vs $1150 MSRP. That's more.
I don't see the links you posted so I'm not sure we're on the same page comparing models because the MTR with the walnut stock is in the 750.00 range and the Varmint Precision Chassis is in the 1000.00 range. I work at a gunshop in Kentucky and we have a MTR for just under 800.00. I have the Varmint Precision Chassis that with my discount I still paid 912.00. If you are comparing the MTR and the MTR Varmint Chassis, then of course the chassis model is more expensive. THEY DIDN"T HAVE THE MTR CHASSIS WHEN I BOUGHT MINE! That is why I started this post. Sorry to be argumentative but the MTR IS less than the VPC without the MTR chamber.

I don't see the links you posted so I'm not sure we're on the same page comparing models because the MTR with the walnut stock is in the 750.00 range and the Varmint Precision Chassis is in the 1000.00 range. I work at a gunshop in Kentucky and we have a MTR for just under 800.00. I have the Varmint Precision Chassis that with my discount I still paid 912.00. If you are comparing the MTR and the MTR Varmint Chassis, then of course the chassis model is more expensive. THEY DIDN"T HAVE THE MTR CHASSIS WHEN I BOUGHT MINE! That is why I started this post. Sorry to be argumentative but the MTR IS less than the VPC without the MTR chamber.
You quoted one of them ffs.

Which gun shop in Kentucky?

Thank you for your detailed reply. The gun shop I work (retirement job) at has an MTR wooden stock for around 800.00 that I was thinking of buying then putting the barreled action in my chassis stock. After reading your reply, the match chamber isn't necessarily better, am I right? Again, I would like to just get an aftermarket barrel but they are super expensive and I know nothing about how to properly mount the barrel. Finding someone that specializes in barrel instillation also hints at being costy! I have had others suggest trying different torque on action screws and a few other things might solve the problem I just haven't had time yet. I just hate that I bought what I considered an expensive rifle (especially for a .22) and not have it shoot better.
You are most welcomed.
Retired?- me too.

You speak of accuracy but haven't mentioned what size your average groups are, nor the shooting conditions, nor ammo, etc. so let me just suggest this; let someone else, a known good shooter, shoot your rifle. That may narrow it down whether it's you or the rifle. When I got my MTR I was having problems with it shooting consistently so I let a friend of mine who is a highly rated F-Class shooter shoot it. He produced smaller groups than what I had done in 3 months of shooting the gun. So, lesson learned; the rifle was capable, but I needed to work on my technique. So, setting my ego aside, within a couple of weeks I was able to produce tiny groups on a very consistent basis. From my experience, I think that most shooters could improve their accuracy if they paid more attention to their fundamentals in how they handled a rifle and not be so quick to blame the gun or try to buy accuracy.

Match chamber- I wouldn't even consider shooting benchrest without a match chamber, but that's just me. My thinking is that in a match chamber, where the bullet is engraved by the rifling when the bolt is closed, aids in bullet concentricity and in powder combustion. As I understand it, CZ rifles are made to CIP standards and their chambers are tighter than ANSI standards so maybe that's why I see so many non-MTR rifles shoot so well.

I would suggest you go over your rifle with a inch-pound torque wrench and tighten everything to spec. As it came from the factory, my rifle was way off, both in tennon and action screws tightness. Since I shoot factory benchrest, I have to use the barrel that came with the rifle, but it's pretty simple to change barrels in these guns.

Reactions: MajorD
would suggest you go over your rifle with a inch-pound torque wrench and tighten everything to spec. As it came from the factory, my rifle was way off, both in tennon and action screws tightness.

Where do you find all of the torque specs for a CZ 457 ?

Where do you find all of the torque specs for a CZ 457 ?
I'm not sure but the first place I would look is the owner's manual.

Since I have the wood stock Varmint MTR, I think they call for the action screws to be 25 Inch pounds, however, since I have bedded the stock and an inch up the barrel, 18-inch pounds seems to be my sweet spot.
For the barrel I went with something like 50-inch pounds, but I was tempted to glue it in.

For the chassis model, where it's metal on metal verses metal on wood, I would think one could tighten the action screws in the 30-35 in. lbs area.

According to the manual that came with my Jaguar "Check tightening of the stock fixing screws (pos. 73 and 74) and tighten them as necessary with the torque of 3.5 Nm."

3.5 Nm = 31 in/lbs

Reactions: Booner1334
Building out my first 457 varmint rifle to get into shooting comps. I went with 419 30 moa base. Looking for recommendations on ring heights for a 56 mm scope. Not sure on a scope yet looking for a specific reticle to center the x ring in. YouTube can only get you so far.

That’s really only something you can determine through setting up the rifle to fit yourself.

Reactions: JFR and Haney
Building out my first 457 varmint rifle to get into shooting comps. I went with 419 30 moa base. Looking for recommendations on ring heights for a 56 mm scope. Not sure on a scope yet looking for a specific reticle to center the x ring in. YouTube can only get you so far.

This will vary a bit depending on how you position your scope, if you're using a throw lever, what type of throw lever, and personal preference. You really don't have to worry about height over bore with the factory barrel, Area 419 30 MOA base, and a 56mm objective (unless you're running super bulky scope caps. All the 56mm objective scopes I've seen are 34mm main tubes (aside from the random 35mm options). Even with "low" rings 0.9inch (measured to the center of the scope rings), there will be plenty of room. Your main limitation will be clearance for the zoom ring.

My brother's CZ with an Arken SH-4J (34mm main tube) with Vortex Pro Medium Rings (1.1 inch)
1710965353385.png

Same rifle and scope but with Vortex Pro Low Rings (0.95)
1710965521878.png

As you can see, the main clearance issue is the zoom ring. The Objective has more than enough room for a 56mm objective.

One other small consideration might be the turret housing. Some scopes like the Arken have a large protrusion (for the spring retainer IIRC). It just clears the mounting base with the 0.95 inch low rings, but if you don't have that protrusion you could go a tad lower.

Big IG - Here's a pic of my 457-VMTR with the 419 30MOA rail, using the Burris Signature XTR Insert ring-set. I have a +10 Front ring to reduce MOA to 20, since I'm only shooting to 175-yds so far. The scope is an Athlon Argos 8-34x56 FFP. Even with the scope cover there's about 1/4"+ clearance. But I'll swear by using the bubble to remove 'cant', I've noted difference in POI even at 50 yds.
Also pic of my buttt - :rolleyes:
CZ-457 VMTR Jan-10-2024.JPG
457 Rear mount pic-4.JPG

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
One thing to note is that CZ-USA doesn't import every model.
In Canada the CZ 457 Varmint AT-ONE comes in 3 lengths 16", 20", and 24"
It comes with the MATCH chamber and the barrel threading is 1/2"-20 instead of the typical 1/2"-28.
The CZ Varmint MTR in Canada is also available in 16", 20" and 24" and also comes with the MATCH chamber and 1/2"-20 threaded barrel.
I believe that both the Varmint AT_ONE and the Varmint MTR in the USA are only available in 20"
Also the Varmint MTR is not threaded in the USA.

Last edited: