• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Royal barrel rethread?

MK19

Just another dork
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2013
SWVA
www.damonedwards.com
I just picked up a new CZ 457 Royal and it's definitely a tack driver, but my dumbass missed the part where the barrel is threaded at 1/2-20 and not the more common 1/2-28. Should I find a gunsmith to rethread the barrel or just slap on a thread adaptor? Any recommendations for a gunsmith that does this kind of work?

I bought my Royal before they were readily available in the US. I too missed the 1/2-20 thd. Grrrr...
Rather than mess with the barrel, I went with the Fugly adaptor. My stock was not centered in the cannel so I
put a foam ear protector on the left side of the barrel and it was enough to gently shift the wood to center in a few days.

I have a CZ 457 MTR so when I got the Royal I was very disappointed in the svelte forfend. I like the look and feel of chunky
walnut in my hands like my NJR pellet in photos #7 & 8

One reason I would refrain from altering the threads is the perception from any potential buyers. If they cant get it to shoot, for
any reason, they will likely look to blame anything and anyone besides themselves. It will always have the stigma
that MK19 F'ed it up !!

First thing I would do is replace the bolt knob with a Vudoo and the mag release with an Anarchy Outdoors.
The long release allows for a seamless and fluid removal of the mag. Other extended mag releases are only .080" longer than
the factory release. It's a must have for anyone in a chassis. I feel like, If you pulled my magazine one time you would have
yours on order the same day.

I would get a trigger kit with a .014" wire diameter to reduce the trigger weight to around 6 / 8 ounces. The kit comes with
4 springs with the sizes of your choice and enough lapping film to do 4 trigger jobs.
The YD kit has one .018" wire spring it has nearly twice the rate of the .014" spring.

I alter my guns all of the time but I put the original parts in Zip lock bags so they can be restored with relative ease if
the buyer wants to.

The trigger shoe is a Flaig ACE #21. ( .290" wide ) A number 22 will work but it is a net fit. ( .275" wide ) These are old shoes
are not sold with the width listed but by the guns they will fit on. IE: Flaig, Ace Trigger Shoe, # 21, For Winchester Models
12, 97, Marlin 39A, 336. Over time I have made a list for myself. They can be found on Evil-bay ( now ) and Gun Joker on
occasion.

What do you consider a tack driver?? The target below is just one I have on hand and nothing I would consider
special. It was also really about testing the SK long Range ammo more than the Royal.

I lap the triggers with 9 and then 3 micron, Aluminum Oxide, PSA backed lapping film. Your black trigger can be done in under ten minutes.
The chrome trigger is more like 45. You only lap the trigger sear and not the upper trigger bar. The trigger sear itself is very large
and stable. It keeps itself square and level. The worst part of the 457 trigger job is driving the trigger pin out.
Both ends have been staked to retain the trigger pin. To ease it's reinsertion, I highly advise you chuck it up in a drill and sand
down the ends with some 220 wet/dry. That takes about 10 seconds per end. If you could see the pin you would see that it
has an hour glass shape. It's ends are fatter than the middle.

I had AREA 419 bolt knobs on three of my 457s but they were all changed to Vudoo knobs. They have a very nice diameter
and the added length makes the action even smoother to operate.

You can see from the last photo that I identify all of my magazines. If one should give me problems then I can simply toss
it aside and make a note in my log. It also makes it possible for me to loan them out and avoid any accidental magazine confusion.
The vinyl letters on eBay hold up really well to most gun lubes and solvents. I try and find a depression in the magazine on the
left hand side or on the bottom. That aids in mag orientation when they are in a pile on the table waiting for insertion.

Attachments

• 20220121_054431.jpg
    20220121_054431.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 72
  • ROYAL @ 50 YARDS WITH SK LRM 10012020.jpg
    ROYAL @ 50 YARDS WITH SK LRM 10012020.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210121_154630.jpg
    20210121_154630.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 90
  • AA EXT MAG REL.jpg
    AA EXT MAG REL.jpg