• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457, Tikka T1x, etc.

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Gents,

I am planning to sell my Vudoo .22 LR. I purchased it with the intent to shoot some local rimfire matches but I found I don’t have the time/will to make the effort. Instead I found myself wanting to use it for hunting small game in STX.

I plan on getting a .17 HMR to replace the .22 LR. I am struggling on which platform to go with. Given the accuracy and reliability out of both platforms I don’t see a need to go with a Vudoo.

T1x
-uses Tikka T3 stocks
-good stock trigger

CZ 457
-lots of aftermarket support
-good barrel options

Ideally I wouldn't have to buy a barrel if the stock barrel could hold .75-1” at 100 yards.

Anyone have good experience with either. I would have gone 457 in the past but the value of the tikka seems hard to beat.

Thoughts on reliability of each? Out of the box accuracy?

I bought my son a 457 Varmint and put it in an XLR Element 3.0 Chassis. That thing is so much fun to shoot and smooth and precise.

I wanted to shoot 22lr again, so I got myself a T1x and set it up identically in an XLR. It shot well, but just not as smooth or nice as the CZ. It just felt cheaper. I also wished it was a heavier contour barrel. So it got sold.

I still wanted a 22, but I'm left eye, so I shoot long guns lefty. I got tired of waiting for a lefty CZ or Bergara B14R, and got a Vudoo.

Compared to the Vudoo, the T1x wasn't even close. The CZ actually isn't too far off. The mags for the CZ feel cheap, so that's probably my biggest issue.

I never got the B14R. I canceled my order since I decided to go Vudoo, so I can't compare them to each other.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
I bought my son a 457 Varmint and put it in an XLR Element 3.0 Chassis. That thing is so much fun to shoot and smooth and precise.

I wanted to shoot 22lr again, so I got myself a T1x and set it up identically in an XLR. It shot well, but just not as smooth or nice as the CZ. It just felt cheaper. I also wished it was a heavier contour barrel. So it got sold.

I still wanted a 22, but I'm left eye, so I shoot long guns lefty. I got tired of waiting for a lefty CZ or Bergara B14R, and got a Vudoo.

Compared to the Vudoo, the T1x wasn't even close. The CZ actually isn't too far off. The mags for the CZ feel cheap, so that's probably my biggest issue.

I never got the B14R. I canceled my order since I decided to go Vudoo, so I can't compare them to each other.
Thanks for the feedback! How would you compare the accuracy of each? Did one stock barrel stand out over the other?

Accuracy between the T1x and the CZ were about the same. I'd say there was a slight edge with the CZ, but I didn't do any ammo testing. I was just using bulk sub sonic ammo in them.

The CZ barrel isn't threaded, but it's a heavy varmint profile, which I like better.
The Tikka barrel was threaded, so it would have been easier to add a tuner or suppressor if you're allowed.

They are close, just overall, I liked the feel of the CZ better.

Accuracy between the T1x and the CZ were about the same. I'd say there was a slight edge with the CZ, but I didn't do any ammo testing. I was just using bulk sub sonic ammo in them.

The CZ barrel isn't threaded, but it's a heavy varmint profile, which I like better.
The Tikka barrel was threaded, so it would have been easier to add a tuner or suppressor if you're allowed.

They are close, just overall, I liked the feel of the CZ better.
The threading is important as I plan to run a suppressor. Good point and thanks for the feedback.

Another option, although more expensive, is to buy an Anschutz 1761 which will allow you to switch calibers between .17, .22LR, and .22 mag. I have not changed the caliber on my 1761's but the rifles are as accurate as they are nice looking.

Magazines for each caliber run $85, barrels are $300.

EDITED: Anschutz North America shows four calibers on their website: .17HMR, .17Mach2, .22LR, and .22mag.

Last edited:
The threading is important as I plan to run a suppressor. Good point and thanks for the feedback.

Just to be clear, the Varmint version that I got isn't threaded, but CZ has multiple stock barrel options that do come threaded.

I noticed that you could convert a CZ 457 in .22 to a .17 HMR buying changing the magazine the barrel. Is that accurate?

I noticed that you could convert a CZ 457 in .22 to a .17 HMR buying changing the magazine the barrel. Is that accurate?

I think so, but i'm not 100% sure... I was tempted to get a .17 in lefty and convert it to .22, but never followed through.

What about sending it back to Vudoo to have it rebarreled to HMR

Oh that's right you would need a 22 magnum action not a 22 lr. I guess I was thinking 17 HM2

I have a T1x 17hmr with 16-inch barrel. I am very fond of it. Accuracy has been very good out to 300 meters. I haven't shot it any further, but 12oz soda cans can be reliably hit at that distance. Just today I had the OEM barrel replaced with a Lothar Walther 20-inch 17hmr barrel, also threaded, but a 1:9 twist. Looking forward to the added velocity and weight on the rifle. For hunting, I would likely use the factory stock on the 16-inch barrel model, added the vertical pistol grip, and scope to suit my taste.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image0 (8).jpeg
    image0 (8).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 17hmr smile.jpeg
    17hmr smile.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
I have a T1x 17hmr with 16-inch barrel. I am very fond of it. Accuracy has been very good out to 300 meters. I haven't shot it any further, but 12oz soda cans can be reliably hit at that distance. Just today I had the OEM barrel replaced with a Lothar Walther 20-inch 17hmr barrel, also threaded, but a 1:9 twist. Looking forward to the added velocity and weight on the rifle. For hunting, I would likely use the factory stock on the 16-inch barrel model, added the vertical pistol grip, and scope to suit my taste.
Here are some pics.
Looks great! How was the barrel swap? I heard it can be pretty difficult to get the old barrel off.

I ended up getting a T1x and dropping it in a KRG. I am very impressed with the accuracy out of this thing. I am getting .5-.75 MOA groups at 100 yards pretty consistently.

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 22
Looks great! How was the barrel swap? I heard it can be pretty difficult to get the old barrel off.
It wasn't difficult. Heat the retaining screws to break the thread locker bond. Heat the action around the tenon to about 200 degrees, then wack the front bottom of the receiver with a rawhide, nylon, rubber or dead blow mallet and it should pop right off. They put a ton of red locking compound on the barrel tenon, that is why heat is needed.