• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457, Tikka T1X or Bergara BA.

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
I have no interest in competition rimfire, at least not now but I would like a reliable 22LR bolt action rifle to train and plink with at the local range. From what I have read/seen these 3 choices are pretty solid so wondering if the community can help a 22LR noob out.

I would prefer something with a decent usable stock, don’t really wanna go down the rabbit hole looking for aftermarket chassis, in fact I would like to not purchase too many aftermarket parts unless absolutely necessary. I been looking at the CZ 457 trainers and varmits as top contenders but also like the idea of a 700 footprint that can drop on my existing stock (foundation) that the bergara offers. The Tikka T1X UBR looks interesting too but so don’t even know if those are available or discontinued.

Any advice helps, thank you.

P.S whats the best barrel length?

I have no interest in competition rimfire, at least not now but I would like a reliable 22LR bolt action rifle to train and plink with at the local range. From what I have read/seen these 3 choices are pretty solid so wondering if the community can help a 22LR noob out.

I would prefer something with a decent usable stock, don’t really wanna go down the rabbit hole looking for aftermarket chassis, in fact I would like to not purchase too many aftermarket parts unless absolutely necessary. I been looking at the CZ 457 trainers and varmits as top contenders but also like the idea of a 700 footprint that can drop on my existing stock (foundation) that the bergara offers. The Tikka T1X UBR looks interesting too but so don’t even know if those are available or discontinued.

Any advice helps, thank you.

P.S whats the best barrel length?
You will find a ton of answers and I’ve gone numb looking for the best

I have a Bergara B14R steel version. Which shows real promise. I can tell you the trigger was crap. More creep than Let’s Go Brandon at a preschool leg rubbing convention. So figure that into your cost if it comes with a trigger

I also recently acquired a Tikka T1X. I can tell without firing the gun that the bolt lift and travel are excellent compared to the Bergara. But the Bergara feels like a Rem 700. Which I personally hate after using Tikka CTR and AI’s

I don’t own a CZ but they do intrigue me. Some day I will have one to try

Here’s my take

- The Bergara is the Rem 700 footprint. The stock is excellent. Accuracy is excellent. My trigger sucked so I replaced that with a 2 stage TT standard

The carbon models are only a sleeve over a pencil barrel. They suffer in accuracy when you suppress them.

I just staked the ejector on my B14R as it would constantly fail to eject casings and jam up the gun. We’ll see if that fixes it

- The Tikka comes with one of the best, if not the best, factory trigger I’ve ever handled for a single stage. Mine goes down to 15oz with no spring change although I have it set at 1.5 lbs currently.

The stock is crap though. I swapped my Tikka CTR stock parts over. I have a krg bravo on the ctr so didn’t need the factory stock. I installed the rubber butt pad and spacers on the T1X as well as the vertical grip the CTR comes with. Much better in my opinion.

Mine is the 16 inch version. I will run suppressed and wanted more compact vs the 20”. The 16 may be more fps vs the 20” due to burn rate of a .22 LR. The 20” though seems to be more stable in the ES/SD category

- CZ is a gun I will own yet. The Varmint models seem to get awesome reviews and some claim it’s more accurate than the MTR versions with the match chambers.

Many people who own them replace the trigger and barrels. You’ll see many reports of being a great gun but not necessarily “match ready”

CZ and Tikka have similar shorter bolt throw. I want to say the tikka is 45° vs the CZ at 60° and Bergara at 90°.

The mags on the Bergara are full size and would be more realistic to a Rem 700 trainer. Mine feeds smooth and I don’t have an issue with them. The tikka are much smaller and easier to carry if you’re hunting. But my Bergara definitely feeds smoother.

Long story short;

Bergara is considered “poor man’s Vudoo”
Tikka has awesome trigger but crap stock
CZ will likely need aftermarket parts as well

Check out “pursuit of accuracy” and “Joe the cyclops” videos on YouTube. They shoot a lot with these models and will give an idea of accuracy and issues

I like my Bergara but will likely put this Tikka or another T1X or CZ in a KRG bravo eventually. The bravo and T1X trigger are excellent match ups.

Barrel length is a toss up. Bergara is 18”. Tikka 16” or 20”. CZ has 16”, 20” and 24”. Seems most running cans go with 16”. 20” for balance and decent ES/SD and longer barrels are common in bench style guns. If I was running a can it be 16” to keep compact. Otherwise 18”-20” for powder burn. Longer if I want to spin the bullet before exiting more (.22 is typically 1:16 twist) and wanted best ES/SD and wasn’t shooting for too velocity

@littlepod and @nakoa01 are some names I recognize from my research as owning a good number of rimfires and names I would pay attention to when suggesting options

Last edited:

I have a Bergara B14R. Which shows real promise. I can tell you the trigger was crap. More creep than Let’s Go Brandon at a preschool leg rubbing convention. So figure that into your cost if it comes with a trigger

I also recently acquired a Tikka T1X. I can tell without firing the gun that the bolt lift and travel are excellent compared to the Bergara. But the Bergara feels like a Rem 700. Which I personally hate after using Tikka CTR and AI’s

Here’s my take

- The Bergara is the Rem 700 footprint. The stock is excellent. Accuracy is excellent. My trigger sucked so I replaced that with a 2 stage TT standard

The carbon models are only a sleeve over a pencil barrel. They suffer in accuracy when you suppress them. I just staked the ejector on mine as it would constantly fail to eject casings and jam up the gun. We’ll see if that fixes it

- The Tikka comes with one of the best, if not the best, factory trigger I’ve ever handled for a singe stage. Mine goes down to 15oz with no spring change although I have it set at 1.5 lbs currently.

The stock is crap though. I swapped my Tikka CTR stock parts over. I have a krg bravo on the ctr so didn’t need the factory stock. I installed the rubber butt pad and spacers on the T1X as well as the vertical grip the CTR comes with. Much better in my opinion.

Mine is the 16 inch version. I will run suppressed and wanted more compact vs the 20”. The 16 may be more fps vs the 20” due to burn rate of a .22 LR. The 20” though seems to be more stable in the ES/SD category

- CZ is a gun I will own yet. The Varmint models seem to get awesome reviews and some claim it’s more accurate than the MTR versions with the match chambers.

Many people who own them replace the trigger and barrels. You’ll see many reports of being a great gun but not necessarily “match ready”

CZ and Tikka have similar shorter bolt throw. I want to say the tikka is 45° vs the CZ at 60° and Bergara at 90°.

The mags on the Bergara are full size and would be more realistic to a Rem 700 trainer. Mine feeds smooth and I don’t have an issue with them. The tikka are much smaller and easier to carry if you’re hunting. But my Bergara definitely feeds smoother.

Long story short;

Check out “pursuit of accuracy” and “Joe the cyclops” videos on YouTube. They shoot a lot with these models and will give an idea of accuracy and issues

I like my Bergara but will likely put this Tikka or another T1X or CZ in a KRG bravo eventually. The bravo and T1X trigger are excellent match ups.

Barrel length is a toss up. Bergara is 18”. Tikka 16” or 20”. CZ has 16”, 20” and 24”. Seems most running cans go with 16”. 20” for balance and decent ES/SD and longer barrels are common in bench style guns. If I was running a can it be 16” to keep compact. Otherwise 18”-20” for powder burn. Longer if I want to spin the bullet before exiting more (.22 is typically 1:16 twist) and wanted best ES/SD and wasn’t shooting for too velocity

@littlepod and @nakoa01 are some names I recognize from my research as owning a good number of rimfires and names I would pay attention to when suggesting options
Very helpful, thanks.

I have a Bergara B14R steel version. Which shows real promise. I can tell you the trigger was crap. More creep than Let’s Go Brandon at a preschool leg rubbing convention. So figure that into your cost if it comes with a trigger

Here’s my take

The carbon models are only a sleeve over a pencil barrel. They suffer in accuracy when you suppress them.

I just staked the ejector on my B14R as it would constantly fail to eject casings and jam up the gun. We’ll see if that fixes it

- The Tikka comes with one of the best, if not the best, factory trigger I’ve ever handled for a single stage. Mine goes down to 15oz with no spring change although I have it set at 1.5 lbs currently.

Long story short;

I would say the EXACT same things. I’ve owned all 3. But have the Tikka and Bergara. Tikka was my main shooter and will continue to be since I run it in factory class. Bergara is my open class gun but the Tikka isn’t far behind at all.

Only reason for me to get rid of my CZ at the time and getting the Tikka was that the Tikka eats any ammo really and the CZ was more picky.

I will give the CZs action a big thumbs up on being the smoothest action I’ve shot through so far

Reactions: hafejd30
+1 to all the above responses. I don't know your background, but if you are a competitive centerfire shooter, then it's hard not to be competitive in other things you are doing. At least that's the way I am, if there's space to improve, I generally will work towards that... so I wasn't going to settle with the 10/22... and worked my way up to a Vudoo with a custom barrel. Maybe I only plink around for fun, but if I'm spending time at the range, I sure want to hit those golf balls at 200 yards. If I'm shooting paper, or doing random internet challenges, it sure is fun to get 1/4" groups at 50.

If I was going to just plink for fun and not chase down the rabbit hole, then I'd probably get me a lever action henry 22 :) Or get a semi-auto, at least you can run those for something like steel challenge. But if you're going to get a bolt action, you probably will go down the rabbit hole.

+1 to all the above responses. I don't know your background, but if you are a competitive centerfire shooter, then it's hard not to be competitive in other things you are doing. At least that's the way I am, if there's space to improve, I generally will work towards that... so I wasn't going to settle with the 10/22... and worked my way up to a Vudoo with a custom barrel. Maybe I only plink around for fun, but if I'm spending time at the range, I sure want to hit those golf balls at 200 yards. If I'm shooting paper, or doing random internet challenges, it sure is fun to get 1/4" groups at 50.

If I was going to just plink for fun and not chase down the rabbit hole, then I'd probably get me a lever action henry 22 :) Or get a semi-auto, at least you can run those for something like steel challenge. But if you're going to get a bolt action, you probably will go down the rabbit hole.
Yea I probably will….

I have all 3. I have 2 Bergara B14R my main match guns. I replaced the triggers with Triggertech Diamonds. T1X( just a trigger spring change) is for factory class gun. CZ is for hunting. The B14R's will take you a little ways down the rabbit hole. B14R are the best of the 3 IMO. All 3 are good gun. you can't go wrong with any of them.