• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Varmint MTR or the Pro Varmint?

boy412

Meat Popsicle
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic area
Looking to pick up a CZ 457 for practice and plinking. I've owned several Savage rifles prior to this, so had a look at the B-Mag first. Didn't like it. Picked up a CZ 457 and it felt good. I'm really undecided on which model to buy. I'm not in love with any of the stocks, although the Varmint Precision appeals to me the most. How is it compared to the MTR stock? I'm also considering just buying a standard Varmint and upgrading the stock later. I'd much prefer a synthetic or laminate stock. Just not a fan of the walnut!

How is the stock on the Pro Varmint? The intended use is target shooting, and maybe someday some NRL22 competitions. I'll also add I'm not a huge fan of the chassis systems. A bit too tactical looking for me.

:)

Thanks!

You might see more response in the Rimfire forum. I have 5,000 rounds through a Pro Varmint bought in November. Wanted the 16” barrel. Love it. Challenge with MTR and NRL22 Base Class is you will have fewer dollars for the scope. Nothing if you went with the Varmint Precision.

You might see more response in the Rimfire forum. I have 5,000 rounds through a Pro Varmint bought in November. Wanted the 16” barrel. Love it. Challenge with MTR and NRL22 Base Class is you will have fewer dollars for the scope. Nothing if you went with the Varmint Precision.

Doh! Rookie mistake.

;)

Very good point about the Base Class. How is the stock on the Pro Varmint? It looks decent enough but I've not had an opportunity to handle one.

How is the stock on the Pro Varmint? It looks decent enough but I've not had an opportunity to handle one.

I was going Tikka yet did not want a plastic stock. Settled on painted wood. Can’t beat the size - transport it in one of those AR-15 size covert bags which does not scream gun! #1 draw for me as I have to walk 2 blocks through the city to get to a car. Weight and feel is good. Paint has worn as I have used it. Fits exactly what I was looking for in a trainer - get me on the road to the long range rifle I will be ordering soon!

does base class even matter?

if going MTR i'd be hard pressed not to get one of the Area419 options

does base class even matter?

if going MTR i'd be hard pressed not to get one of the Area419 options

Or keep an eye out for a cheap used one. You can find them for $550-600 or so if you’re patient. But the Area419 doo-dads and install them yourself, and you will have saved about $250-300.

Or keep an eye out for a cheap used one. You can find them for $550-600 or so if you’re patient. But the Area419 doo-dads and install them yourself, and you will have saved about $250-300.
another good way. just no bartlein barrel

not that CZ barrels shoot bad

another good way. just no bartlein barrel

not that CZ barrels shoot bad

True, but the “Fully Loaded” doesn’t have a Bartlein either. They do thread it, so that maybe saves you $50-75, but it’s still the factory barrel. The Elite packages that they occasionally have in stock have a Bartlein, but they’re $1750+ packages (all the way up to $2225) as opposed to the $1100 of the MTR Fully Loaded, or $850ish for an FL that you piece together on your own.

Don’t get me wrong, the Area419 guys are great and their builds are very nice, I just don’t want anyone to think the FL has a Bartlein! If you want a smoothed action 457MTR with the work done already, the FL package is the way to go!

True, but the “Fully Loaded” doesn’t have a Bartlein either. They do thread it, so that maybe saves you $50-75, but it’s still the factory barrel. The Elite packages that they occasionally have in stock have a Bartlein, but they’re $1750+ packages (all the way up to $2225) as opposed to the $1100 of the MTR Fully Loaded, or $850ish for an FL that you piece together on your own.

Don’t get me wrong, the Area419 guys are great and their builds are very nice, I just don’t want anyone to think the FL has a Bartlein! If you want a smoothed action 457MTR with the work done already, the FL package is the way to go!
for some reason i thought the MTR was at one point listed with the bartlein

I was going Tikka yet did not want a plastic stock. Settled on painted wood. Can’t beat the size - transport it in one of those AR-15 size covert bags which does not scream gun! #1 draw for me as I have to walk 2 blocks through the city to get to a car. Weight and feel is good. Paint has worn as I have used it. Fits exactly what I was looking for in a trainer - get me on the road to the long range rifle I will be ordering soon!

Same here. The T1 was something I was looking at but the factory stock doesn't look or feel very good in my hands. I'm now actually leaning more towards a Pro Varmint. THAT stock looks great.

I'll check out the offerings from Area419. I was definitely going to use their scope base anyway. ;)

This is the bag I bought. There are VERY few 22s that could fit in a 36” gun bag...

This is the bag I bought. There are VERY few 22s that could fit in a 36” gun bag...

Thanks! Yeah, that looks great. Could just as easily be a guitar in there!