• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Varmint vs CZ 457 American vs. Tikka T1x

Mongoose67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado
Looking for a potential NRL22 base class rifle. I’m leaning towards the American, but wondering if the bull barrel on the varmint would be be better. Also considering the Tikka T1x. What’s your experience and recommendation, and why?

I’ve written about my experience with the T1x and the 457 Varmint. The CZ was nicer in every respect. Sold the T1x.

Get the Varmint barrel.It will balance better in a nice chassis

Reactions: camocorvette
I’ve written about my experience with the T1x and the 457 Varmint. The CZ was nicer in every respect. Sold the T1x.

Get the Varmint barrel. It will balance better in a nice chassis
The Varmint has a 20.5" barrel and the pro varmint has a 16.5" barrel. I like the stock better on the Pro Varmint, but it seems for PRS a 16.5" barrel is a little short. I hear the sweet spot for 22LR is 18-20".

My 455 varmint is awesome. With cheap ammo, a Mueller scope and a $1 trigger spring it shoots almost half moa at fifty yards.

Well after considering and researching the Tikka T1x, Savage B22 Precision, Bagera BMR, Ruger Precision and CZ457, I pulled the trigger today on a CZ 457 Pro Varmint. I ordered a Warne 15MOA Rail and plan on putting my Arken SH4 on it. Any suggestions on what ammo runs best in the CZ Pro Varmint? Very excited to get to the range.

Well after considering and researching the Tikka T1x, Savage B22 Precision, Bagera BMR, Ruger Precision and CZ457, I pulled the trigger today on a CZ 457 Pro Varmint. I ordered a Warne 15MOA Rail and plan on putting my Arken SH4 on it. Any suggestions on what ammo runs best in the CZ Pro Varmint? Very excited to get to the range.
I have tried just about everything under the sun, that being said I've had good luck with SK Pistol Match, SK Rifle Match and SK Standard Plus in my CZ's. Lapua Center-X and Eley Match were pretty good, but for the price and availability I've settled on the SK stuff.

I have tried just about everything under the sun, that being said I've had good luck with SK Pistol Match, SK Rifle Match and SK Standard Plus in my CZ's. Lapua Center-X and Eley Match were pretty good, but for the price and availability I've settled on the SK stuff.
I’m beginning to think that the existence of SK is an urban legend. Heck there are more sightings of Bigfoot in Western Colorado than SK ammo.

I’m beginning to think that the existence of SK is an urban legend. Heck there are more sightings of Bigfoot in Western Colorado than SK ammo.
Fin & Feather in Iowa City had a shit ton of SK Pistol Match and Pistol Match Special ammo, I’ve made a pretty big dent in their inventory of late.