• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cz 457 w/ MDT ACC and AOD mag extensions

Austinkroe

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2022
Missouri
New here. I searched the forum and Google and couldn’t come up with anything. Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

I recently got an ACC to replace my XRS. I’ve been running all my 10 round mags with the AOD extensions. I also have the DIP extended latch installed.

So, my problem is that there isn’t enough room between the mag base and the mag well for my fat finger to get it up easily to operate the latch. I’ve sanded the bottom front corner of the extension on one mag as much as I am comfortable without breaking through to the interior. It helps a little bit but it’s still a tight fit for my finger.

I know I could just remove the extensions but I’m hoping you all may have some alternative before I just put all the extensions in the parts bin.

Anyone make some massively extended mag latch that I’m not aware of? Maybe some other solution? I’m not enthralled with the idea of grinding on the mag well for clearance but the thought did cross my mind.

I just figured someone out there might be running a similar set up and have some suggestion.

So I did a bit more digging and a bit more emailing. I found that none of the other extended mag latches would really allow me to access them without getting my finger up into The magwell which was not possible with the setup I had. So I did two things.

First I measured out the interior and exterior dimensions of the AOD extensions. Then I took them to the trusty belt sander and ground off the front corner to a point just before I made it into the interior of the extensions. This helped a bit but it was still a tight fit for my fat fingers.

So I emailed MDT for any suggestions. I also mentioned the possibility of grinding a bit of the interior of the magwell away. They didn’t have experience with my particular set up and had no solutions to offer short of a bit of grinding. They did, however, inform me that, “there is lots of material on the chassis in that area if additional clearance is needed for you.” I took that as a green light to grind away whether that is what the meant or not. So I pulled out the trusty yet dreaded dremel and radiused the magwell accordingly with a sanding drum and followed it up with some sand paper and Aluminum Black.

Works perfectly now and I can even get my thumb in there. Surprisingly I didn’t have to remove too much material to make it work; just broke the edge and rounded it out by about .15”. Really wish I could re-ceracoat the portion I ground on but I can’t justify the expense of sending it off for such a small area. I guess if the Aluminum Black doesn’t hold up I could just paint it.

Just wanted to add for any future users that may be looking for more information. I now own the factory mag latch, the DIP one, the AOD one, and the MDT one.

Obviously the shortest one is the factory latch.
It is followed in length by the DIP which is metal as well. No clue if it is aluminum or steel.
Then there is the MDT which they only sell with their extended magazine well block. I’d add that the extended mag well block is a nice addition to the ACC as it has an angled piece that helps in funneling the mag into the well. It is considerably longer than DIP one being .3-.4” longer (I didn’t measure). It’s also a metal product. I believe they told me it is aluminum as well but it almost feels parkerized so it may actually be steel.
The longes I could find is the AOD one but it only about 1/16” longer than the MDT. It does have a nice wide paddle at the tip which feels nice. However it is polymer, possibly 3D printed and therefore is only usable with polymer mags. So if you use steel mags in your rotation this isn’t the one for you.

In the end I decided to stick with the MDT because most of my 5 round mags are steel.

This new addition along with my previous modifications is a vast improvement in mag changes.

I just put mine in the CNC mill. Not everyone has one at their disposal.

Attachments

• 20220205_145814.jpg
    20220205_145814.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220205_145824.jpg
    20220205_145824.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: mulish
Count me jealous. Heck I’d be happy just to have a quality manual machine and lathe. However, the wife seems to think it’s not “a good use of money” and “I’ll hurt myself”.

So I’ll have to settle for the stuff I can do with hand tools for the time being and just have to deal with the looks I get.

Most recent mod is that I added some actual thumbshelves to the ACC. Magical what you can accomplish with some 90 degree aluminum, a hack saw, a file, and some JB weld.