• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 527 Scope Mounting options

284ElkHunter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2021
Central Texas
Planning on putting a SWFA 6x or 10x on a CZ 527 300 BO. Has anyone tried Sportsmatch rings for the 527? I have them on a Tikka but didnt know if that was the go to on CZ. Not opposed to a inclined rail if there is a good one out there. I was thinking about a DIP extended 25 moa rail if its secure enough for a 300 BO. If anyone with experience with these rifles has some advice it would be appreciated. Thanks

If you add a rail you'll have to have a nice chin weld to shoot it.

I'd recommend staying with CZ type rings. They are available in 1" and 30mm.

The Cz type rings always seem super high. To me. You can get pretty low with a good rail and low rings sometimes. But wasn’t sure about the 527. That’s why I was wondering about the sportsmatch rings.

I used warne rings on mine. I can’t remember the details or part number.

This was a 557 Varmint, but the same action as the 527 for all intents and purposes. I used an EGW 20moa base and Ken Farrell “low” rings.

The KF rings are some of the lowest I’ve found and were essentially perfect height with the base and stock pack for me.

Probably the only rifle I ever regret selling.

2864C79E-E3FA-4437-A6F3-75C4DAD02558.jpeg

56A0DAF3-3C6D-4E43-BE60-D10BD7A922E2.jpeg

I have a few 527's and found that I prefer the EGW pic rail paired with a nice set of rings. I've used CZ and Warne rings mounted to the integrated bases and they always left something to be desired IMO. With the rail and rings I can create the setup that suits my needs best.

man o man o man, I have researched the ever lovin’ poop out of this topic. For years.

I own 4 CZ 527 rifles.

I would stay far, far away from DIP rails on centerfires. All that is holding them on are tiny grub screws. I had one on a .204 that I firmly tightened (enough so that I left marks on the receiver) and it still slipped.

Rail/scope went forward, obviously, and thankfully the 527’s dovetail cuts end before the edge of the receiver. So all I lost was the rail, which being made of thin aluminum, bent when it hit the dovetail termination.

I have literally looked at every single rail out there. The only bolt-on one that is any good is the steel Contessa rail, which is made in different MOA mounts (20 MOA linked). It has a recoil lug, which is key as there isn’t anywhere to screw the rail down into the receiver.

YEAH, I know Optics Planet sux balls, but when I talked to Contessa USA ([email protected] 480-221-9907) that’s who they pointed me to as OP had them in stock.

At the time, only Euro dealers carried them and I couldn’t get anyone to ship to the USA. If you want other MOA cants then you’ll have to special order through Contessa USA. The cants are listed on their Italian site.

If you want a gunsmith drill-tap rail, the Ken Farrell steel base looks awesome. Better know a good gunsmith! Receivers can be hard to drill into, I hear.

Any rail, bolt-on or drill-tap, will stick up a long ways, unfortunately. I don’t know why? But that’s why I don’t use my nice Contessa rail on my 527’s. Looks are somewhat important. Perhaps if I had some ULTRA low rings it would fit my body and my aesthetics.

Instead I use the CZ rings on my Lux or the highest Sportsmatch rings on the American-pattern stocks as I like a heads up position. I couldn’t find anyone in the US that carried the SM high rings so I’ve ordered from some places in the UK.

I have used Tier One rings with success too (they have an EU site too). They make the Zeiss rings as well. They don’t have a CZ recoil lug but with a 204 it didn’t seem to matter.

They are listed fitting 17mm or 16mm dovetails, but don’t worry. I’ve found manufacturers measure dovetails in their own ways, and it can vary per country. 15mm, 15.5mm, 16mm, 17mm, etc. depends on where they place the calipers lol.

A decent gunsmith could add a recoil lug to the bottom of the Tier One rings, as it comes with a removable pin. The hole is just in the wrong place for a 527. T1 makes 34mm, 35mm, & 36mm dovetail rings in addition to 30mm. Sportsmatch makes only 1“ & 30mm.

A pain with T1 is if you have to return stuff. It goes back to Britain.

Optics-trade.eu lists a number of rings and rails by Rusan that I haven’t tried.

The EGW rail is ok and has a square recoil lug. Your receiver might have a rounded lug recess, so you’d have to file the EGW to fit. Me, I prefer steel as steel is real lol. But the EGW looks ok.

Edit: as mentioned elsewhere above, those low Ken Farrell rings look pretty good on a CZ rail. I’m a ARC M10/Mbrace whore, however haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 284ElkHunter
That’s great info. I’d really like a rail system but not sure how much benefit I get with it on a 300 bo. I may give the sportsmatch a shot but looks like they’ll have to come from the uk. I’d like to mount the scope as low as the bolt allows. Do you know where the arrester pin fits in the Cz? Doesn’t Seem to have a place to go like the tikka?

That’s great info. I’d really like a rail system but not sure how much benefit I get with it on a 300 bo. I may give the sportsmatch a shot but looks like they’ll have to come from the uk. I’d like to mount the scope as low as the bolt allows. Do you know where the arrester pin fits in the Cz? Doesn’t Seem to have a place to go like the tikka?
The rear dovetail on the left side. It’s not a hole, it’s a notch. Sorta weird.

584EF83C-420C-4400-80D8-BD60E2A7F03D.jpeg

P.S. I have these on my 527’s and they are fantastic at helping smooth out the bolt throw on these pesky actions. Makes me feel like I’m running an AI haha!

I think Glade’s had some issues in years past, but I’ve ordered from them in the past 1.5 years and transactions have been smooth as glass. And the product is very well made.

I had Warne QD's, stable and repeatable
Run some searches here on “vertically split rings”. Frank and others have found lots of issues on Warne, Talley, etc because of the way they tend to place uneven pressure on the scope tube and then impinge upon the erector or parallax assemblies.

ARC rings are not of this type and do not cause issues.

(Except I’ve heard random reports of ARC rings and Zcomp scopes…turns out it was a Zcomp issue I believe. I love ARC rings.)

That's a Vortex Diamondback, I don't remember which rings though. Yeah not crazy about the vertical split, but the height was right.
Edit: I found my order they are Warne.
fullsizeoutput_16d3.jpeg

Last edited:
man o man o man, I have researched the ever lovin’ poop out of this topic. For years.

I own 4 CZ 527 rifles.

I would stay far, far away from DIP rails on centerfires. All that is holding them on are tiny grub screws. I had one on a .204 that I firmly tightened (enough so that I left marks on the receiver) and it still slipped.

Rail/scope went forward, obviously, and thankfully the 527’s dovetail cuts end before the edge of the receiver. So all I lost was the rail, which being made of thin aluminum, bent when it hit the dovetail termination.

I have literally looked at every single rail out there. The only bolt-on one that is any good is the steel Contessa rail, which is made in different MOA mounts (20 MOA linked). It has a recoil lug, which is key as there isn’t anywhere to screw the rail down into the receiver.

YEAH, I know Optics Planet sux balls, but when I talked to Contessa USA ([email protected] 480-221-9907) that’s who they pointed me to as OP had them in stock.

At the time, only Euro dealers carried them and I couldn’t get anyone to ship to the USA. If you want other MOA cants then you’ll have to special order through Contessa USA. The cants are listed on their Italian site.

If you want a gunsmith drill-tap rail, the Ken Farrell steel base looks awesome. Better know a good gunsmith! Receivers can be hard to drill into, I hear.

Any rail, bolt-on or drill-tap, will stick up a long ways, unfortunately. I don’t know why? But that’s why I don’t use my nice Contessa rail on my 527’s. Looks are somewhat important. Perhaps if I had some ULTRA low rings it would fit my body and my aesthetics.

Instead I use the CZ rings on my Lux or the highest Sportsmatch rings on the American-pattern stocks as I like a heads up position. I couldn’t find anyone in the US that carried the SM high rings so I’ve ordered from some places in the UK.

I have used Tier One rings with success too (they have an EU site too). They make the Zeiss rings as well. They don’t have a CZ recoil lug but with a 204 it didn’t seem to matter.

They are listed fitting 17mm or 16mm dovetails, but don’t worry. I’ve found manufacturers measure dovetails in their own ways, and it can vary per country. 15mm, 15.5mm, 16mm, 17mm, etc. depends on where they place the calipers lol.

A decent gunsmith could add a recoil lug to the bottom of the Tier One rings, as it comes with a removable pin. The hole is just in the wrong place for a 527. T1 makes 34mm, 35mm, & 36mm dovetail rings in addition to 30mm. Sportsmatch makes only 1“ & 30mm.

A pain with T1 is if you have to return stuff. It goes back to Britain.

Optics-trade.eu lists a number of rings and rails by Rusan that I haven’t tried.

The EGW rail is ok and has a square recoil lug. Your receiver might have a rounded lug recess, so you’d have to file the EGW to fit. Me, I prefer steel as steel is real lol. But the EGW looks ok.

Edit: as mentioned elsewhere above, those low Ken Farrell rings look pretty good on a CZ rail. I’m a ARC M10/Mbrace whore, however haha.
So, Great class about mounts in a CZ 527 rifle. I need to confess: I needed to know this tips! I'm looking for a ount to put in my 527, and I guess a Contessa mont expensive. But it's work.
Thanks !

Reactions: carbonbased
So, Great class about mounts in a CZ 527 rifle. I need to confess: I needed to know this tips! I'm looking for a ount to put in my 527, and I guess a Contessa mont expensive. But it's work.
Thanks !
I’ve gone mostly with Sportsmatch rings for the CZ 527 dovetail and one one gun I tracked down a pair of CZ-branded rings. Good luck man!

Thanks !
Sportsmatch worked great for me. You get the locking pin to ensure the mount doesn’t move. Only downside is limited ring spacing and no additional incline as opposed to a rail system.

Reactions: carbonbased