• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ455 ... which model?

Slateman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
Want a CZ 455 in .22LR but there are a bunch of options. Are there any performance differences between the two? I really like the Evolution model, but it's substantially more expensive than a CZ 455 American.

In terms of accuracy, is there any difference? Or is it simply a matter asthetics and/or ergonomics.

It's not just the Boyd's Evolution stock, although it is also that. It's also the heavy barrel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have the HB Target in a Boyds Thumb hole laminated stock & a Go-Dave trigger kit @1# & it's a tack driver.

You really cannot go wrong with any of the cz rifles. On that note I have a 455 varmint and a 455fs. The varmint with the heavy barrel is an amazing shooter. You cannot go wrong with it and can always upgrade the stock later if you wish. The 455fs is also a very nice rifle but not a heavy barrel. It comes with iron sights and they are really nice. I liked these 2 so much I ordered an American to go with them. The American is like the varmint except it has a thinner sporter profile barrel and the forend is checkered.

It also depends on what you are looking at long term.

If you are looking at doing upgrades, like a Lilja barrel, stock, etc, get the cheapest one.

I went with a VPT with the Manners stock. But still put on the Lilja barrel and Timney trigger. :)

Probably no upgrades. Would be more of a trainer and to keep me proficient in a cost efficient manner.

Probably no upgrades. Would be more of a trainer and to keep me proficient in a cost efficient manner.

This was the route I went. CZ 455 Varmint model, but I got the Boyd's Tacticool stock. Added an Accushot (the guys who make the Atlas bipods) Picatinny rail so I could mount my QD Atlas bipod on it. The rifle shoots very well at 50 yards off the bench, dime sized groups all day long with just about any ammo I put in it.

I'm going to put pillars in the stock and have the action bedded in, as well as adding a PTG bolt knob. A Timney trigger may or may not end up on this rifle, but I'm going to try a lighter spring before I shell out for the trigger. I'm going to shoot some 100 yd groups before I turn the rifle into to the gunsmith for bedding and pillars, so I can do a before/after comparison.

P.S. One thing I've noticed is that the rifle shot poor groups with certain ammo out of the box, decent groups with others, but groups tightened up across the board once I torqued all the screws down to the proper values.

This was the route I went. CZ 455 Varmint model, but I got the Boyd's Tacticool stock. Added an Accushot (the guys who make the Atlas bipods) Picatinny rail so I could mount my QD Atlas bipod on it. The rifle shoots very well at 50 yards off the bench, dime sized groups all day long with just about any ammo I put in it.

I'm going to put pillars in the stock and have the action bedded in, as well as adding a PTG bolt knob. A Timney trigger may or may not end up on this rifle, but I'm going to try a lighter spring before I shell out for the trigger. I'm going to shoot some 100 yd groups before I turn the rifle into to the gunsmith for bedding and pillars, so I can do a before/after comparison.

P.S. One thing I've noticed is that the rifle shot poor groups with certain ammo out of the box, decent groups with others, but groups tightened up across the board once I torqued all the screws down to the proper values.

Do you care to share what those values are?

I bought a 22LR Tacticool version and ordered a 17HMR fluted heavy barrel. I've added a Leupold VX-R 4-12Xx40mm with a Ballistic FireDot on CZ rings and I just ordered a Yo Dave trigger kit. I still haven't shot it, but I'm really excited to try it out soon.

Yea so I'm really trying to decide between three models

American (threaded barrel)
Evolution
Tacticool

It sounds like there is little difference in performance between these three options and it's merely a matter of esthetics and "cool" factor.

The varmint (heavy) barrel is not just "cool". It's functional. The choice of stock also determines for which type of shooting the rifle is best suited.

The varmint (heavy) barrel is not just "cool". It's functional. The choice of stock also determines for which type of shooting the rifle is best suited.

I've had excellent results so far at 50 yards with the factory Varmint model. The Tacticool stock was my first purchase (they no longer sell the Tacticool with a 20" barrel, it's only available with a 16" barrel now, so I had to frankengun it together).

Well, I love my varmint evolution. Threaded with a sako quad supressor, fitted with a picatinny for my atlas an a picatinny for my scope. And sling studs from uncle mike. Love it! Look no further!

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

I have several CZ and Brno 22 rifles,,IME none of the different models are any more accurate than the other,,if you shoot enough of them you will find individual rifles from either model that will outshoot the other,regardless of barrel weight,,

get the one that fits your shooting preference,,

rifle at top is only 455 I have,,Lilja barrel,Don Stith stock and lots of other stuff,,

the 50`s vintage Brno`s will shoot very well also'

455 varmint, can always get the stocks and stuff later for your birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc.

at least your starting out with the action and a heavy barrel profile. the heavy barrel will generally give you better performance with harmonics and such.

how about the CZ synthetic? under 350.00 (though a sporter barrel, CZ 455 American .22LR 20" Black Synthetic Stock - Impact Guns gives a platform that can be built off later for not that much $.

probably the most affordable and "tweaky" of the 455 is the tacticool suppressor ready 16.5 heavy threaded barrel, about 550.00 out of the box.

as a "trainer" the stock profile should most closely match whatever rifle you want to "train" for so the muscle memory & feel are similar. if your centerfire has a tacticalish stock, go with the tacticool, a more sporter type stock go with the walnut american or synthetic, i don't know how close the evolution is to anything on a centerfire.

I have several CZ and Brno 22 rifles,,IME none of the different models are any more accurate than the other,,if you shoot enough of them you will find individual rifles from either model that will outshoot the other,regardless of barrel weight,,

this is true, in my limited experience. can't say that my heavy-barrel 455 has any accuracy advantage over the sporter barrel model. it does sit more solidly in the bags, though.