• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cz457 barrel question

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So I was up in the air between a tikka t1x and a CZ457. I'm looking to keep it under or around $1000. The Tikka is unobtainable at this point, so I was thinking about getting a cz457 scout at my local gun store, and I can get $80 off so it'll bring the price of the scout to under $400 and either putting it in a Boyds or krg bravo with a timney trigger. The barrel on the scout would be replaced.

So my question is. With the action, trigger, and stock I'm in the ball park of $700. Are there any good barrels for the cz457 out there for around $3-400 dollars? What would you choose? The LW barrels seem promising to me.

Thanks

As much as I'd like that, I really don't want to spend that kind of money. I have a buddy with a savage mark ii and he stacks them consistently and he spent $250. I'm already trying to cope with spending $1000 on a rimfire rifle, haha. I am looking at thier website for the 22lr though and I do like what I see with the head spacing and how they obtain it.

• Haha
    Reactions: Fuckmikebush
    Agreed, shoot what you get. Also, don’t forget that you can sell the barrel you take off and make a little money back, might get you under your overall net sieve target.

My 455 heavy barrel shoots CCI SV and SK Std+ quite well, esp when you consider how cheap CCI used to be.

ETA: overall *spend target

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dildobaggins
    Gunbroker actually has a few cz457 ATone for reasonable prices. I love that stock, and the barrels on those are much heavier contour than the scout? If that's the case I might just get away with a new trigger.

Just to throw another idea into the mix, the Savage B22 is only a few bucks more than the MKII, has a great Rotary mag, available in FV(heavy barrel-Varmint) and also comes in a chassis - the B22 Precision for ca. $500 or so on GB.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    56013D6B-77EE-4680-AC73-37C9544DDEB2.jpeg
    Bought a used MTR and LOVE it. I planned on buying a scout and just using it for the receiver. Found a used MTR for $550 instead.

.3” at 50 yards.

I could get $300-350 for the mtr barrel and stock so I’d be into the receiver for $200-250ish

Just to throw another idea into the mix, the Savage B22 is only a few bucks more than the MKII, has a great Rotary mag, available in FV(heavy barrel-Varmint) and also comes in a chassis - the B22 Precision for ca. $500 or so on GB.
    That chassis looks awesome! I just don't like the accutrigger, and not that it wouldn't be a shooter, but on the off chance it isn't, it seems the aftermarket barrel market is non existent.

View attachment 7810736Bought a used MTR and LOVE it. I planned on buying a scout and just using it for the receiver. Found a used MTR for $550 instead.

.3” at 50 yards.

I could get $300-350 for the mtr barrel and stock so I’d be into the receiver for $200-250ish
    That's some might fine shootin! That's what I'm after.

So I was up in the air between a tikka t1x and a CZ457. I'm looking to keep it under or around $1000. The Tikka is unobtainable at this point, so I was thinking about getting a cz457 scout at my local gun store, and I can get $80 off so it'll bring the price of the scout to under $400 and either putting it in a Boyds or krg bravo with a timney trigger. The barrel on the scout would be replaced.

So my question is. With the action, trigger, and stock I'm in the ball park of $700. Are there any good barrels for the cz457 out there for around $3-400 dollars? What would you choose? The LW barrels seem promising to me.

Thanks
    That is what I did. Got a scout for $360, Walther barrel for $300 and KRG chassis for around $350. I wish I had gone with the Area419 rail mount, but that is a minor item and the EGW mount is reliable. Stock trigger, aftermarket knob. Currently has an Athlon MidasTac 4-24 on it and shoots acceptable 1/2” groups at 50. Sometimes better, most times in the .400-.600. I am satisfied with how this setup performs. The cz457 is a great upgrade over the 455/452 series as it corrects a number of issues while keeping a reliable magazine system. I would build this rifle again if getting another cz 22lr.

6F0CDBE3-F63E-4999-BD3E-8C7005883C1D.jpeg

I've got three CZ457s - American, Varmint MTR, and VPT. The factory barrel on the American was a stinker, never did get it to shoot much better than 1-1/2" groups at 50yds, even after pulling the bbl and cutting a nice clean 11* crown to clean up the fugly mess from the factory. The MTR shot pretty decently right out of the box - only things I did to it were to adjust the trigger & spin up a home-made bolt knob similar to the A419. The VPT was the 24" bbl version, and that bbl had issues out of the box, with a bunch of melted lead spatters covering a 1-1/2" long section of the bore about an inch in front of the chamber - and this was before I ever fired the rifle. A cleaning session with 10 back-and-forth passes with a bronze bore brush saturated with Shooters Choice got rid of all but a tiny bit of the lead spatters, and accuracy improved a bit. But after putting 400+rds through it - with periodic cleaning - I decided to back off to 100-200yds to see what it'd do, and found that I couldn't keep 10rds of good lot-tested SK Rifle Match on an 8" steel plate at 200, on a day with good conditions.

I should mention that I'm used to much better accuracy out of my 22RF bolt repeaters, including a jelrod-converted CMP 40XB with a Krieger bbl that I fitted & chambered, as well as a couple of V-22 repeaters with Kriegers that I also chambered with a PTG EPS reamer. I liked (and still like) the 457 actions, so I pulled the factory bbls off the American & VPT, then replaced them with Shilen ratchet blanks that I fitted & chambered - again with the same EPS reamer, without cutting the big grub screw seats, instead gluing them into the actions with a fresh lot of Loctite #609. So, in my admittedly limited experience with CZ's OEM hammer forged barrels, 2 out of 3 were problematic where accuracy's concerned, and those two rifles shot much better with the glued-in Shilens. However, I've read a lot of posts here & on other sites where owners of the heavier barreled 457s seldom seem to have accuracy issues like mine. No way of knowing with any certainty if that's actually a trend, but it's food for thought.

That is what I did. Got a scout for $360, Walther barrel for $300 and KRG chassis for around $350. I wish I had gone with the Area419 rail mount, but that is a minor item and the EGW mount is reliable. Stock trigger, aftermarket knob. Currently has an Athlon MidasTac 4-24 on it and shoots acceptable 1/2” groups at 50. Sometimes better, most times in the .400-.600. I am satisfied with how this setup performs. The cz457 is a great upgrade over the 455/452 series as it corrects a number of issues while keeping a reliable magazine system. I would build this rifle again if getting another cz 22lr.

View attachment 7810761
    LUV IT! I have that same scope on one of my guns...exceptional scope.

I also have a Lothar Walther on my cz 457. Excellent shooter (my stock barrel was actually pretty good too, looking back on it). I've recently had problems with spent rounds not extracting....like on nearly every shot. I've cleaned the chamber, so I hope things go well next time.

My cz currently lives in an MDT chassis.

I have a CZ 457 with 22in Lilja barrel waiting on my new vision chassis.It shot really good in the MTR stock but I wanted more. I was looking to go high end so the KRG chassis were out I looked at MDT, MPA, WOOX and Manners but ended up going with Vision. They are sold by GCP Rifle company. They are not cheap but they are worth the money. I will post once it comes in.