• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ550 CRF for hunting?

18Echo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2007
Maricopa Co., AZ
Looking for opinions from people who know about these actions. Looking for a CRF action that won't cost me my firstborn like a Dakota. This isn't going to be a "tacticl/sniper" rifle, will be for hunting only and chambered most likely in .338 WinMag, something that will hunt ALL North American game.

Re: CZ550 CRF for hunting?

It is a fine choice. Mauser lineage, controlled round feed, integral ring mounts, set trigger, well machined and nicely finished. I say go for it.

I own three factory CZ'z and they all drive tacks. My only complaint is the short stock on the 527.

Or you can always go pick up a 98 Mauser that has been sporterized and use it as a starting point. Generally they are not that expensive and if you keep an eye out you can find one that has had all of the good stuff done to it. Like the bent bolt handle, trigger upgrade, hinged floor plate with push button release, drilled and tapped for mounts, etc...

Good luck with your build.

My do it all gun is a CZ 550FS in 9.3x62. MOA with 286gr swift a-frames. all the thump you need for anything on this continent and has been used on about everything, everywhere else at some time or another.
Not a long range gun but what a round. can always load up 250gr bullets to extend the range if needed but it really is impressive to see what a 286gr bullet at 2500fps can do to a hog. minimal meat damage and just seems to kill everything it hits in it's tracks.
Only problem i have had with the 550 is the bolt knob came loose on me at the range.

You can still find model 70's fairly reasonably priced in the .338 <$800. the CZ's are good guns and they shoot well, but the fit and finish on the older model 70's is much better. The new model 70's are coming back out and they are very nice also.

I've got a few CZs, ranging from the .17 HMR on one end to a .416 Rigby on the other. They are all fine rifles, especially considering what they actually are, mid priced production rifles.

I've got "real" modely 70s (ie early production pre-64). New "classic" model 70s too.

Bottom line is I'd be fine buying another CZ, and I do like the set trigger that CZ has which as far as I know is not offered by any other maker of a reasonably priced rifle in the US. The other thing I like, since we're talking hunting rifles, is that the scope rings mount directly to the receiver which is a lot stronger than a few 6-40 or 8-32 screws. I like my hunting rifles stout.

Make sure the barrel is free floated, a good bedding job too but that is true of any walnut stock.