• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

D.I.Y. Rear Bags

SCUBA Steve

Minuteman
Nov 18, 2012
Texas
I've seen a lot of impressive work in these forums, you guys/gals are seriously good at what you do, so it's a little embarrassing to post my noobish work next to the professionals, but here goes.

These are my first attempts at rear bags.
20131230_173256_zpsd9f800ee.jpg

My first attempt was this one, and honestly my favorite because of the filler. 4"x5"x6" and I went to Hobby Lobby and got some poly beads (the only way I could get them to understand what I was asking for was to say it was like they'd use to stuff a home made doll with) then they walked me right up to them.
20131230_173454_zps8c533f82.jpg

20131230_173450_zps4b8470f1.jpg

My second attempt was my tactical cheese wedge. The short end is 3" tall and 6" wide, the wedge edges are 6" wide and 9" long and I used Airsoft BB's for the filler.
20131230_173439_zps75e66e34.jpg

My newest was an attempt at what I've seen called a tactical pillow, it was a left over piece of canvas, paracord, and Airsoft BB's for the filler. Lying flat it's about 1"-1 and a half inches thick and approximately 9"x9"
20131230_173407_zps2be4834c.jpg

20131230_173359_zpsd04a887f.jpg

Personally I like the poly beads, they're a little heavier than the Airsoft BBs are but they're much quieter when you give the bag a squeeze and seem to hold a shape better. I think that my next one will be filled with some kind of styrafoam like beads to make it much lighter and probably give more control. Will definitely update when I build the next one.

Last edited:
No need to be embarrassed, those look great!! I have been wanting to make some, but want to fill with sand as weight is not an issue.
Thanks for the pics

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I prefer the poly beads in my bags. The airsoft pellets work, but you have to buy the precision pellets (.20 gram) in order to get much weight out of them. I think it's good to have a little weight in your bags. My pillow weighs almost 8 lbs.

Paul

They look great to me. I see what might be an edge of the roll or end piece on the wedge. What is that change in texture? No detail shot of the fill hole/method, did you just leave a seam open then stitch it closed?

I left about 3" of a seam open which was enough to turn the bag inside out so the stitched seam was inside and then whip stitched the opening once I was done filling the bags. Will post pics of that for you though.

And I'd be happy to post templates once I find them. The wife rearranged her sewing bench (which I had confiscated for my projects the other day without asking her permission) and my templates are currently M.I.A. lol

I think that the texture change was the outside edge of the fabric, I think their machine was off kilter or something that day because the other bolts of canvas I have had have never had that on the edges of them.

Sorry, double posted. So I'll add some pics here.

This is the paracord loop on the front of my wedge, I sewed up to the corner on it, stopped about 1/4" from the actual corner, measured a loop big enough to put my hand through, marked the paracord with a sharpie, then put the loop through the seam to be inside the bag (since I sew it inside out till the last 3" or so of one seam then turn it inside out). I then took the two loose ends and ran them down one of the seams most of it's length and sewed them in place using a zig sag pattern on the sewing machine which actually put the needle through the middle of the paracord, binding them to the fabric and making sure the loop will not pull out. (will put more detailed pics on this process when I make my next one since I have a couple of buddies that have asked for them) I then sew the seams right up to where the paracord goes through.

Here's a close up pic of the paracord loop coming through the wedge's corner on it's finished product. (will have more detailed pics on the next project):
20131231_175412_zps1fd36510.jpg

This is the 3" edge at the back of the wedge that I used to flip the material inside out and fill it with:
20131231_175300_zps32bdead1.jpg

And here is a close up of my stitching at the site where I turned my tactical pillow inside out and fill it from. You can see the standard seam end and my hand stitching begin here:
20131231_175353_zps0cb61e51.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like templates of the wedge shaped one if you don't mind? I made one kind of like your 3rd one pictured and love it. Can't ever have too many though! I'll give poly beads a try this next time.

Ben

Another way is to make two of the panels with a matching tab like the stupid drawing I made below while I was high on crack and barbiturates. My drug use aside, if you make the tab big enough to pull the bag right-side-out through it (~1.5 - 2"), you can keep the tab out, sew it closed (red) once it's filled and stuff it back inside. The fill won't come out, can be changed or adjusted later, and the seam all but disappears.
View attachment 25512

Never mind it shows now

You guys are going to take jobs away from the little Pakistani kids in those sweat shops if you keep this up. Ill be attempting one tomorrow, sorry Pakistani kids.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I've made bags out of old jeans.

1. Cut off a section of leg.
2. turn inside out and stitch both ends. Leave enough of one end open to turn "right side out".
3. Fill with sand or whatever you want to use.
4. Stitch shut.

Not as nice as what the OP has done here but cheap and easy. Plus they've lasted for many years.

Great job, what was your overall cost to make them?

I bought the canvas at Hobby Lobby Khaki Duck Cloth Canvas | Shop Hobby Lobby and used one of their printable coupons for 40% off, 1 yard will make at least 3-4 bags, probably more.

I bought these airsoft BB's at academy Academy - Crosman .12g Camo Airsoft Ammo BBs 10,000-Count

About $20 or so for the materials. I filled the wedge and pillow shaped one with the airsoft BB's. I ran a little shy on the wedge, but had another small bottle to top it off. I still have canvas left over.

I'm still digging for the templates for them. Apparently, when my wife hides something... it is not meant to be found... she should hide snipers... they'd never be seen..

I found the plastic pellets I used in the big cube also at hobby lobby http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/plastic-pellets-213199/ $5.00 each, and again, you can get 40% off on them with a coupon, I believe I used 1 and a half of them or so on the big bag... Like I said above, these hold a shape better, don't rattle and make noise, and weigh a bit more overall. Personally, I think these are superior to the BB's any day.

Last edited:
Made one of these tonight. Filled it with rice and sewed in some Velcro on 1 side so I can change the amount of filler.

I just saw this thread and I did basically the same thing last summer with an old pair of camo pants. Pardon the crappy sewing. I did it all by hand and was going for function, not looks. Also, I never considered making a wedge, but I like the idea.

20130815_153705_zps2c24fbaf.jpg

20130814_123222_zpsf989d078.jpg

Reactions: xsn10s
Tag.

I need to be able to find this when my wife gets her sewing machine replaced. Hopefully by then the templates are available, though I think I can figure it out.

Made a wedge bag tonight here are the measurements I used.

Don't have a protractor to measure the triangles angles but here is what the full one would be, and I just cut it off 1 1/4 inch from the top

I walked through Hobby Lobby and never could find them. They also thought I was an idiot when I asked for poly beads. I will try your method and see if that gets me anywhere. Those bags look great.

My hobby lobby no longer stocks the poly beads. I have been using michaels instead. Michaels has 2lb bags for 8.99. They were 50% off today when I went in there.

I plan on making a cube like pictured above, but I am going to try to find foam pellets to fill it with to make it lighter.

Paul

I walked through Hobby Lobby and never could find them. They also thought I was an idiot when I asked for poly beads. I will try your method and see if that gets me anywhere. Those bags look great.

Haha yes I asked for them at my local hobby lobby and they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about.

I put a bunch of dirt in a stock. You guys are apparently on some next level stuff here.

Reactions: M8541Reaper

Go for these. They are probably the same thing but cheaper per oz. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E...3d4b71cb#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1393371627&sr=8-1

In think the firehose would be too stiff.

If your wanting to go cheap, those pellets in a hunting sock worked great for me for a few years.

But now I bought a yard of cordura and hand sewn my own for a while till I got a better machine.

Eta: a yard of cordura is $12 and will make a lot of bags

Great looking bags.
Someday I'll make the wife show me how to post pictures (joke) just to make you feel better.
My first............only.........batch of rear bags were manufactured by cutting different sized sections of pant leg off worn out BDUs. Loosely double bagging rice from the pantry and shoving it in the pant leg and sowing it shut.
Years later I keep thinking I'll replace them with a slick professional looking bag (like yours) but they just work too good so...................

Go for these. They are probably the same thing but cheaper per oz. Fairfield Poly-Pellets Weighted Stuffing Beads:Amazon:Arts, Crafts & Sewing

In think the firehose would be too stiff.

If your wanting to go cheap, those pellets in a hunting sock worked great for me for a few years.

But now I bought a yard of cordura and hand sewn my own for a while till I got a better machine.

Eta: a yard of cordura is $12 and will make a lot of bags

I use 1000 denier and have to hand sow it. It would take one hell of a machine to sow that stuff lol. I also love the plastic pellets they don't rot/

Here was my shot at it. I needed something more robust than 1000 denier though for my aggressive tactical skills, so I went with and old pair of swimming trunks (brown side) and one my dog's chewed up pillow (tan side). The wedge bag has the hard poly beads, the square one has the foam-like poly beads.

Here's my redneck bags. Maybe my next project will be a ghillie suit out of BVDs!

egejada7.jpg

Great job man! I am going to borrow the wedge idea for my SRS!

Well, this post motivated me to give some diy bags a try. Kryptek typhon camo canvas from eBay with a smooth leather like material from Joanne fabrics. Filled with poly fill from Michaels. Pretty easy to do, thx for the ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20140830_082306807.jpg
    IMG_20140830_082306807.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20140830_082319090.jpg
    IMG_20140830_082319090.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 97