• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

D.I.Y Scope Sun Shade

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
I recently picked up a Steiner Military 3-12x50 rifle scope and was searching around for a sun shade. Long Story Short: I cant find a factory sunshade (in stock) so I'm going to make a custom one. Ill get photos of my progress later today.

I measured the outside diameter of the scope so I can get a baseline for how large this shade is going to be. Im making a slip over shade design (much like the Buttler Creek scope caps). The outside diameter is ~2.274"
IMG_20200511_104358.jpg

my material of choice is Carbon Fiber Fabric using an epoxy/resin binder. (because it looks cool and is super light weight)
IMG_20200511_105405.jpg

Reactions: lash
IMG_20200511_113454.jpg

I managed to find an Aluminum tube that is close to the diameter of the scope so I cut a section off and cleaned up the edges.

IMG_20200512_091121.jpg
good news and badnews...
Bad News: had to cut a relief in the fabric because stupid me forgot that the epoxy shrinks more than the aluminum does and it got stuck on there.
Good News: It is fixable, since this isn"t a load bearing object I cleaned it up and wrapped another layer of fabric over it making it look 100x better.
you're probably thinking "what the hell is this kid doing?" quite frankly I don't even know. Ive done some carbon fiber work before and had good results. EX:
IMG_20200108_110839.jpg

this is an upper hand guard I made for my Romanian PM63

Reactions: atomic41
how much shrinkage do you get?
is it they type of epoxy you use or something else

how much shrinkage do you get?
is it they type of epoxy you use or something else
I didn't measure the shrinkage but normally with my other CF projects it takes some effort but the product normally pops right off nice and clean. Since this a thinner product I didnt want to force it and have an uneven break/ crack (similar to the end shown in the picture) so I decided to make a "straight" cut relief and it popped right off. The carbon fabric and epoxy I buy from a guy not far from me. https://carbonkevlarsupply.com/

Reactions: brianf
I'll be 100% honest, this is probably the most ugly thing I have made with carbon fiber, But it does its job. It fits tight enough around the outside of the scope to not come off under recoil but easy enough to take off with no issues.
1589372215057.png

Reactions: SneakyDingo1
Doesn’t effect it one bit. I cut a slit the size of a 22 shell in a fabric and put over the end with a rubber band and that was just as usable

I did the fabric one on a 3.5-10 Sightron SIII and could use on 3.5 to 10 without any issues.

Reactions: lead.rain