• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

D R A K E N B U R G | advance precision rifle system

D R A K E N B U R G

Hunting tool developer
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2021
New Zealand
Hi all

I am in the process of developing an advance precision rifle system.

It has many unique features:
  • Uses 3D printed Titanium parts extensively.
  • Weighs only 11.5lbs (5.2kg) with a heavy 5.7lbs (2.6kg), 27" straight taper barrel.
  • Folding stock with thumbs-up grip that is shorter than conventual folding stocks with a pistol grip.
  • Trigger assembly can be removed and installed without tools in seconds without affecting the rifle's zero.
  • Probably the lowest full length top rail on any rifle.
  • Barrel clamping feature that results in more clamping force for the same amount of torque as other rifles.
  • Barrel tenon design that mates the barrel via a thread and tight fitting sleeve to improve the co-axial alignment between the barrel and barrel-extension.
If you are interested in my journey as an independent firearm developer, feel free to follow the links:

If you have any questions, let me know down below.

Thank you

Hanno

Really cool! And welcome to Snipers Hide.

Just a few questions,

1. Is the receiver an upper/ lower type of situation like an AR-15/10? Is it two pieces or one?

2. How is the return to zero when removing the barrel and re-installing it? Does the forend need to be removed to accomplish a barrel change?

3. What is the barrel tenon diameter?

4. Are the magazines plastic or metal? What is the max coal allowed in them?

5. Will there be any plans on offering the rifle in standard magnum or even standard short action cartridges? Magazine adapters, Magwell blocks, spare bolts, etc.

Thank you
Hi reubenski

Thank you for your post and questions. Here we go:

1. It does not have the same configuration as an AR15, the receiver is monolithic and the hand rail bolts rigidly to it. Though having an upper and lower does simplify things from a design point of view because it allows for easy access to the internal parts, I do not think it is appropriate for a precision rifle. A solid foundation was very important to me. Here is a video of the handrail:

2. To be honest I have not done thorough tests on return to zero. My honest opinion is that most precision shooters will always reconfirm the rifle's zero when removing and re-attaching a barrel or scope. A system that priorities this capability I believe will end up being very complex and heavy making it not worth the benefit. I kept my receiver/barrel interface simple and focused on giving the associated parts a tight fit and small tolerance. To see how a barrel change is done, you can have a look at this video:

3. The barrel tenon is Ø34.5mm (Ø1.358").

4. Currently the magazines are plastic. I decided to design the rifle for plastic magazines since it should be easier to go metal if need be, than the other way around. I always try to design for the worst case scenario, then I know it will be easier to move back to something more sensible. If you design for the best case scenario, you will most likely run into trouble with things not being able to fit that needs to be bigger or stronger. The first prototype had a maximum cartridge over-all length (COAL) of 95.0mm (3.740"), but the latest one 101.0mm (3.976").

5. Currently there are no plans for smaller calibers. The main goal is to get the current rifle to function flawlessly, which is no picnic. The rifle is one of the most advanced rifles out there. This level of development is normally done by major companies with millions of dollars and at least 100 years collective firearm development experience. I have a extremely tight budget, self taught and work after hours. The advantage I have is my skill as a intricate mechanism designer in various fields, attention to detail and above all my unhealthy obsession with precision rifles.

Here is the technical description of the first prototype:

Hope this answer some of your questions.

Are the bolt and barrel extension 3D printed?
The bolt body is 3D printed and then machined to tolerance, but the bolt head is machined from 4340 bar and then black nitrided.

The barrel extension is machined from 17-4PH bar that has been prehardened. It is more expensive to do it that way, but reduces the risk of the part warping.

The parts that require high precision and that are critical to safe operation are all machined from solid. The parts that are 3D printed have all the critical interfaces machined to size.

Reactions: Harman117
Looks very nice. Good work, Hanno. How far out does the folding hinge protrude? Does a trigger finger find it when coming up to work the bolt?
Good question ohiofarmer. Since hand size and placement differs a lot from person to person, I can't say it will work for everybody. But for myself it is not an issue. I have attached a picture I just took with my hand in the natural position. As you can see there is a lot of clearance for me. I'd say my hand size is slightly above average (glove size large) and I prefer a thumbs-grip appose to wrapping my thumb around.

Cycling the bolt is even less of a problem as the corners are chamfered and well rounded.

Attachments

• 20210620_115845.jpg
    20210620_115845.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: ohiofarmer
This is a super interesting and intrepid undertaking on your part. Kudos to you! I’ll be following this intently.
Thank you Gregor.Samsa. It is quite a massive undertaking with a lot of sweat, blood and tears, but it is a great experience and I am learning a lot. My goal is to be at the forefront of firearm development and brining meaningful innovation to the table.

Reactions: greybeard0058
Post up some good pics of the rifle. We would all love to see it.

You should also look at what it would make to make that chassis drop in for remington 700s and clones. Also, AI mags.
I've uploaded a teaser image of the latest built for you. Feel free to check out my Facebook and Instagram page for other images. The plan is to share on the Hide as well in the future.

Attachments

• 20210522_144725.jpg
    20210522_144725.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 323
I wouldn’t think so, 3D printing has a 96% (fill/volume if I remember). That would cause issues with strength.
You are right brianf, all parts that are critical for safety and accuracy are machined from billet 4340 and 17-4 PH. That being said the 3D printed components are extremely strong and hard, more than most machined aluminum parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianf
Pretty incredible work, thanks for sharing. I remember seeing your first videos from early 2020 and thinking how cool of a design it was. I'm glad to see you testing it on the range and in the field, and it working as expected. I don't think most people truly understand how monumental of an undertaking a project like this is for a single person to do. Congrats!

Sam

Pretty incredible work, thanks for sharing. I remember seeing your first videos from early 2020 and thinking how cool of a design it was. I'm glad to see you testing it on the range and in the field, and it working as expected. I don't think most people truly understand how monumental of an undertaking a project like this is for a single person to do. Congrats!

Sam
Thank you samb300, I appreciate the support!

“Unhealthy obsession”

don’t worry, you’re in good company here 👍🏻

haven’t sifted through all the data but are you going to offer offends of different flavors with integrated ARCA rails?
😅 that is good to hear SkyScrapin.

Honestly I am not working on any future configurations at the moment since the standard configuration is already a mouth full by itself. But, once finished, future customizations will be a lot less effort due to the versatility of 3D printing. Adding an integrated ARCA rail would definitely be possible. I get asked this question often, so it is something that I have to consider seriously in the future.

Thank you Gregor.Samsa. It is quite a massive undertaking with a lot of sweat, blood and tears, but it is a great experience and I am learning a lot. My goal is to be at the forefront of firearm development and brining meaningful innovation to the table.

Hi,

Awesome project and yes SH has a great amount of people interested in "new" projects.

We should have a chat in regards to the bolded line above :)

Sincerely,
Theis

I would love to know more about the metal 3D printing: capabilities, tolerances, cost, etc. I’m very familiar with plastic printing, but not metal, so I’m really curious how that process went for you and how much finish machining was needed on all the components.

Thank you samb300, I appreciate the support!
Hi and please let me add my admiration for you taking on such a complex project and bring it to the point of a working prototype. Bravo.

Just a question that popped into my mind from your video where you said, I think multiple times, that you were so happy that the gun didn't blow up.

Are you having any sort of professional mechanical failure/safety analysis/testing done on your rifle?

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Really a nice looking set up.. I am very interested in seeing this as it goes along. Would really be interested in a 6.5 Creedmoor caliber.

I know it is early but it looks like you are moving right along with you adventure--keep going

I would love to know more about the metal 3D printing: capabilities, tolerances, cost, etc. I’m very familiar with plastic printing, but not metal, so I’m really curious how that process went for you and how much finish machining was needed on all the components.
The prints are comparable to high quality casting. The biggest physical limit at the moment is the size. The prints are very solid and strong and you have a lot more freedom to what you can do, but big prints can be very tricky. The first receiver did not come out right and they had to re-print it due to it being so big and complicated. The big downside is that it is extremely expensive. If I tell you how much my first prototype cost to build you will most likely fall of your chair, but I see it as education money : )

• Wow
Reactions: Near miss
Hi and please let me add my admiration for you taking on such a complex project and bring it to the point of a working prototype. Bravo.

Just a question that popped into my mind from your video where you said, I think multiple times, that you were so happy that the gun didn't blow up.

Are you having any sort of professional mechanical failure/safety analysis/testing done on your rifle?
I ran the numbers on the critical parts as well as doing hardness testing using what I learned through the years as a design engineer. It was a great way trusting my knowledge and so far so good (famous last words? 😅).

There are no professional services to do rifle testing in NZ that I am aware of, so all the testing is done in-house.

Reactions: Baron23
Really interesting way of user installing and headspacing his own barrel extensions. Do you think it would be necessary to use loctite on the threads under the extension or are you pretty confident in the jam nut being sufficient?

So what is your endstate? Bring to market for recreational sales? Or as your data sheet states, an exploratory proof of concept to learn firearm development?
I am not a big fan of loctite. It has its place, but I belief people are using (misusing) it too much. My rule is, only use loctite if you are willing to weld it.

The jam nut concept has been around for a long time and many systems use it, so I am confident that it will hold when torqued correctly.

As for the future of the project. It is a journey and I will see where it takes me. So I cannot give you a definite answer at the moment.

It's just cool to see a "regular guy" do something like this and actually get a legit prototype. You should definitely take @THEIS up on his offer. I think we are all excited to see what comes next for both of you guys. Congratulations on what both of you have done so far.

The prints are comparable to high quality casting. The biggest physical limit at the moment is the size. The prints are very solid and strong and you have a lot more freedom to what you can do, but big prints can be very tricky. The first receiver did not come out right and they had to re-print it due to it being so big and complicated. The big downside is that it is extremely expensive. If I tell you how much my first prototype cost to build you will most likely fall of your chair, but I see it as education money : )
My guess would be $20k+ USD, not counting your design time. Not sure how many receiver, forend, and buttstock metal prints you had done, though, as that could significantly change the cost.

Dude this is amazing. I saw you mention your background as a mechanism designer. May I ask what your background is in more specifically? I assume engineering.
The reason I ask is because I’m currently in school for mech. eng. and have recently been thinking about going into design in either the auto or firearms industry.

Either way, this looks great and I’m excited to follow along!

Dude this is amazing. I saw you mention your background as a mechanism designer. May I ask what your background is in more specifically? I assume engineering.
The reason I ask is because I’m currently in school for mech. eng. and have recently been thinking about going into design in either the auto or firearms industry.

Either way, this looks great and I’m excited to follow along!
Hey UpBackForwardDown

Thank you for your encouragement. I studied mechanical engineering and did a wide variety of work, from maintenance on petrol refineries to surgical equipment.

I'm intrigued by all kinds of mechanical mechanisms, mechanical watches etc, so I'm constantly studying it and designing my own mechanisms in my free time. I apply what I learn from that to my passion for precision rifles.

Best of luck with your career choice, either way it is going to be exciting!

Looks like this will be a great rifle. Nice work.
Hi Mute, thank you. Hope it will turn out that way!

Been following the YouTube channel for some time now. Glad to see you on the hide!! Fantastic work
Hi wichitaguns, thank you for your support! Hope to keep you guys up to date with all the latest news.
Wow. Very impressive
Cheers Kickin45!
Following, this looks like an awesome project. Best of luck to you
Hi The D, thank you!

Reactions: The D
Hey UpBackForwardDown

Thank you for your encouragement. I studied mechanical engineering and did a wide variety of work, from maintenance on petrol refineries to surgical equipment.

I'm intrigued by all kinds of mechanical mechanisms, mechanical watches etc, so I'm constantly studying it and designing my own mechanisms in my free time. I apply what I learn from that to my passion for precision rifles.

Best of luck with your career choice, either way it is going to be exciting!
Thanks for the response! Always nice to see a fellow ME out in the world ^^ Thanks for sharing a bit of your background and thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it!

In this video you can see me sending my first couple of rounds 980m down range. The first round missed the target, fortunately I was able to get back on target to see where the shot landed. I then compensated and…. bingo!
Don’t be afraid to turn up the volume to fully appreciate the sound delay when shooting out to nearly 1km. You won’t murder your headphones listening to this video at max volume because the rifle is fitted with an ultra-efficient quick attach Oceania Defence suppressor. Due to the complex internals made possible by 3D printed Titanium, the suppressor is not only very quiet but reduces the felt recoil substantially compared to more traditional machined or welded suppressors.

May I offer one suggestion? Consider a full length dovetail for the bottom of the handguard. More and more shooters are using this type of mount for use with tripods as well as bipods and I think it will give added value and desirability to your rifle package.
Mute, thank you for the suggestion. Do you think a bolt-on ARCA rail will be good enough? That way the user can still remove it if need be. Or do you think that it must be one piece?

Last edited:
It is only a 338 Lapua Magnum,... what can possibly go wrong. Trust me, I am an engineer 😅

You are right Palmetto-Pride, in hind sight, it was stupid, should have worn safety glasses (y)
I learned my lesson the hard way…guy at the range let me shoot his Desert Eagle 50 pistol brass case came back and hit me in the right eye…..injured my eye pretty good I still don’t see as good out of that eye and this was about ten years ago.
Anyway your rifle looks great I wish you much success with it!

Mute, thank you for the suggestion. Do you think a bolt on ARCA rail will be good enough? That way the use can still remove it if need be. Or do you think that it must be one piece?
My pleasure. Certainly a bolt on will be fine since many of us have done it and are quite happy. However having the option of an integrated one (which should help to keep from adding more weight to the gun) will also be an desirable option. For example I think that one of the biggest feature improvements of the AI ASR over their previous models is the integrated ARCA along the bottom of those rifles.