• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing D1-4 mounted directly to action jig?

Straight Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Anyone ever attach a D1-4 right to their action truing jig instead of placing it in a 4 jaw?

Seems this would make it way faster to switchover/setup and be safer as it would never slip.

I just ordered another back plate and will be mounting mine up permanently soon.

Re: D1-4 mounted directly to action jig?

That was my plan when you can get the plates so cheap from CDCO, are you going to bolt the jig to the plate or get steel and weld it?

I took apart an old chuck and harvested the backplate.
Then I made my action truing fixture and welded it right to the plate.
I feel much more confident with it welded than clamped into a 4 jaw.

I'll try to find a picture, but it's pretty simple...

Good idea. It doesnt take long to true my jig in the 4 jaw but you got me thinking...
smile.gif

I'll probably bolt it up with six 3/8-24 cap screws with a 1/4 recess probably shrink fit together. The backplate I'm getting doesn't appear to be very good steel. If it's like the other cheapies I have bought they turn like cast iron. My jig is steel.

i've had this drawn up and the material for a long time now. it just hasn't made it to priority status yet. i'm going to have the steel tube a press fit into the steel plate and then tig welded. the steel plate will bolt to the cast d1-4 backing plate. the adjustment holes are not shown on this drawing.

actiontruingjignew1.jpg

i use one slot for the bolt handle when truing bolts. i figured i'd make it symmetrical for balance purposes. i've used my truing jig on occasions to precision thread 12" 10/22 barrels.

The plate I got from CDCO for my right side spider machined very nicely, and it even welded pretty well. I think it cost me $45 shipped.

The truing jig would be the same idea if I felt like dropping the extra coin on that thick of steel vs alum. I first chucked the plate up and cut a 1/8" recess at the same dia. as the spider 5" bar to assure its dead center in the plate, then TIG'd it up.

IMAG1297.jpg

IMAG1299.jpg

I have a spare new back plate that I was thinking of doing the same thing with. I have Mig welding equipment but not Tig, would this be ok to do with Mig. The weld could be cleaned up once re mounted on the lathe.
When I got my spider made to thread rifles for sound moderators, I went to the local machine shop, I gave them my drawing and dimensions. When I came back a day later to pick it up, I was not a happy camper.

The screws that were drilled and tapped in the spider were so crooked that not one of them were on the same line or would have met each other if screwed all the way in.

I called the Foreman over and told him I was not accepting such shoddy work. Having never used a mill before, I am sure I could have lined the holes up better than a 40 years experienced machinist.

The Foreman told me that he had refused to train a young apprentice unless they gave him more money. They said no to the more money, so he decided that he would be a smart bustard and not give a darn about his work quality.

I told my father in law about this episode. when I told him the machinists name he looked at me and said, I trained that guy when he was an apprentice.

That looks great. Is it made with mild steel or Stainless?. The body of your jig I mean.

Did you also inlet for a bolt to be set up in the jig.

I am curious to know what the mod is that has to be done to work on the Savage actions.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately shipping would be a lot to ship to Scotland. I will however search google for the equivalent pipe in the UK.

This is one of the best ideas I have seen in awhile I have a D1-5 but the principle is the same

Am I right in thinking that you should mill a slot on the opposite side of the slot for the bolt handle. Would this not make the jig more balanced when then the lathe is running at faster speeds. I am sure I read where someone was thinking of putting in 4 slots. Would this not affect the structural properties of the jig, therefore affecting how true it would run square.

At the slow speeds most gunsmiths run their lathes at, I dont really think balancing that few ounces of material is totally necessary. If you had the time I guess its not going to hurt anything.

Been running one like that for a year now. way more rigid than in the 4 jaw. My bore hole is smaller and I used set screws so no heads are spinning around.

I only mentioned the speed to emphasize my confidence in mounting the jig this way. I would never have tried to spin it that fast in a 4 jaw. Actual use I inside thread at 40-80 rpm and cut the faces around 370. It would have to be out of balance a pound or two before that was an issue.

I like the bolt heads sticking out so I have something to hang onto while I jog it around by hand and enough of the bolts to turn by hand in the beginning.

I know it will have been answered before but what is the length of the Jig and is 4" the minimum that can be used and still be able to get the bolt slot incorporated into the jig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert,

Your TIG welding just pisses me off.
smile.gif

I hope to get that good at it.

Nice job.

C. </div></div>

Whos TIG welding?
wink.gif

Thats actually a pretty poor example, as the metal the D1 plate is made out of did not weld extraordinarily well.

Show's what I DONT know!

I've gotten good at bolt handles and I can silver solder, but beyond that I'm still an infant.

Someday. . .(drinkin milk. . .)

Hi guys my first post here, really enjoying all the knowledge shared here.

I'm currently building an action jig for myself and was wondering what size and thread pitch screws you guys are using. Was going to use 3/8-24 but now I'm rethinking the idea due to the .312 trigger slot width on the Remingtons as I don't want to bugger it up by running the screw down into it. Also are you guys tipping them or just facing them flat.
Thanks

Don't forget to anneal the ends if you hope to centerdrill them without burning up drill bits.
smile.gif

6644713655_a916314862_b.jpg

Onyx

Bah, go ahead and make fun of the newbie Chad, we all have to start somewhere. :p

(You would not believe how dull I got one twist drill bit before my machinist friend laughed at me and told me about the annealing trick)

I'll look into some carbide bits next time.

One good bit of advise was to keep the screws as short as possible so you had less of a snagging hazard whirling away on your spindle. Probably another newbie tip, but I appreciated it.

Onyx

Thanks guys! I had decided on 1/2" as well and actually I picked up the set screws and drilled them this afternoon but just wanted to see what others were using before getting to far along. I have a good selection of carbide on hand so I had no problems drilling.

So now off to find some brass hopefully I can find some in town so I don't have to order it. Thanks again

Regarding the 1/2" bolts that you may choose for your fixture.....

I highly recommend spec'ing UNF (20t.p.i.) instead of UNC (13t.p.i.) on your adjustment bolts. Choosing these and threading the body of your fixture accordingly will offer you several advantages.

In my opinion (huge disclaimer) the UNF thread allows more control when you are trying to get zeros on your indicators. You should find them less touchy than the UNC when adjusting and the 20 TPI will resist movement from vibration and torque much better than the 13.

Even though I reference 1/2" bolts, I believe the premise regarding T.P.I. is the same on whatever size adjustment points you choose.

Your mileage may vary but I figured this out about 20 years ago and stand very firm on the opinion.

I hope this adds to the info in this thread. Everybody have a safe weekend.

Terry

Can someone please advise on which blank from the below list would be the best one to make my jig from.
I am hoping to have a bit off cut from the blank to make a spider which will be fitted to another D1-4 faceplate.

pipe 1 105mm od x 50mm nominal id bore 12 inches long

pipe 2 4.5 inches od x 80mm nimianl bore 11 inches long

pipe 3 is 12 inches long with od of 101mm inside is bored to 3 inches exactly over 8 inches long then 60mm nominal bore for the last 4 inches.

Ian

Choose the biggest action you plan on working on. Measure the greatest distance across it....some have built in recoil lugs, some don't. Add about 1/2" for adjustments and screw tips.....that is your minimum opening. You can also drill and tap or press fit oversized brass or aluminium pads.

Great info. Thank you. My Tikka action has a built in recoil lug, I had not given this much thought.

Ian

Finished mine up today.

Got the D1-4 plate from CDCO tools (unbelievable prices if what you need doesnt need to be USA made).

Made a relief cut in it the same diameter of the jig so that it was perfectly centered. Welded away. Screwed up and welded too much of one side at a time and it pulled the jig off perpendicular so when spinning in lathe it was wobbling like a mofo!

The fix took longer than everything else combined. Parted off the fixture about 3/4" away from the d1-4 plate. Opened up the piece still welded to the plate to 2.75" and threaded 28tpi. Chucked up the fixture, faced it off, and threaded it to the same size. Now it spins 100% perfect in there, and since any torque applied will only tighten the threads Im not going to worry about welding it again.

CameraZOOM-20120203123824146.jpg