• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision D760 6x vs. Raptor 6x

Disasterpath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2008
Ca
Ive been looking for a night vision scope to that I can use on a .338 Lapua that will let me be able to see steel targets out to 600 yards. Looking at the D760 6X and the Raptor 6X with gen 3 tubes. The D-760 says it has a human detection range of 475 meters while the Raptor has a detection range of 2425 meters. Is the Raptor really THAT much better? The raptor is a little over 2 grand more but if those specs are correct then it would be worth the extra money. Thanks

Re: D760 6x vs. Raptor 6x

You want to choose between a D-760 Raptor & other 'similar' D-760 body styles in gen-3 . I am no expert but I can give you my Sunday night opinion, as I get to look through a Raptor once in a while.
The huge discrepancy on the distance of viewing/recognition with your 2 choices given ? With the D-760 6x body style & all things being equal with all being gen-3 tube quality, & circuitry. I don't think would be that big a difference .
For 600 yrd. like you are asking . I think Any 760 gen-3 body style is going to GTG for you .
As far as someone having 2 units @ the same time to make a comparison in all the same conditions ? (Victor tnvc) on this website might have looked @ both in a sideXside viewing with his own eyes . Or some other dealer ?

The loose term ( human detection range ) very random, general & not very precise for measurement ? .& what was , Quoted ...." Human detection range of 2425 meters ".
was that With or Without IR supplement ? & with how much Stellar ambient ? what Terrain ?
Is it possible see a ( erect human shape) with moment. When looking across a perfect flat/smooth terrain . in clear air (no dust-no fog) & in Full Moon-lite ambient with a Raptor-6 , with No IR supplement used ? , ( Yes ) it's possible .
Like you say, the Raptor build is More-$$$ . Your paying the Gov. purchase NSN# price . Raptor-6 is going to be the 'Heavy' mil.spec. body build, But with heaviest weight . Good Circuitry . Best overall in water resistant & full water submersion .
You are 'planning' to use big Recoil Cal. on mounting on a .338lm . & Raptor states that it is GTG on a .50 bmg recoil . Raptor is built like a tank but that still does not guarantee you wont have any problems with the Raptor .
So Whatever you chose to buy. You Need to take service/repair into consideration with your purchase choice also .

get the 760 you wont notice any difference apart from the weight and the money in your pocket.

i got a 760 last week and im very impressed.

Excellent advice guys, it sounds like the 760 is all I need. Thanks for the link to that review Victor. That was very helpful.

I am looking at the pictures and im not sure that I see anywhere where the torch can be mounted. Are you saying directly to the scope? I was planning on getting the torch as well and have been debating how to mount it.

Here are some pictures of my 760 with torch attached.

100_0611.jpg

100_0614.jpg

100_0622.jpg

100_0615.jpg

100_0616.jpg

Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest but I hope you can get the idea of what it looks like.

ETA I've also added the R&D Precision/Larue mount. I would highly recommend getting this.

http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_moounts_rings/rad_nv2_mount.html

its a pitty you guys cant get a laser for the D760, i use a N1000 which is pretty cheap at £140 and the beam will illuminate about 600-700 yards with ease on a pretty big spot which is variable.

Personally i dont rate LED IR.

I like the look of your flip cover for the eye piece though, was it easy to get the rubber one off since it looks attached to the diopter on my scope

HS338 is that some sort of additional mount that you have to get it on there? Also, are you able to adjust the direction of the beam on the mount or does it just point in one place and is non-adjustable? Thanks for the pics by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disasterpath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HS338 is that some sort of additional mount that you have to get it on there? Also, are you able to adjust the direction of the beam on the mount or does it just point in one place and is non-adjustable? Thanks for the pics by the way. </div></div>

I bought my 760 from a friend who needed money, so I don't actually know if he bought this mount or if it came with it.

Here is a link to the mount.

http://morovision.com/mvnv_accessories/ir_markers/mounting_bracket_IR_illuminators.html

When the torch is attached it will move vertically. It is in line with the 760 though. I've had the torch attached and targeted out to 400 yards and had no problems with alignment.