• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DA or individual values?

Pbjunkiee

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2018
Is is better to just use a DA reading or plug in the individual readings to a calculator?

I like using the individual readings when I have them, why I own a Kestrel and DA for recording data.

DA is a databook thing, at least how I look at it and then use it for field expedient stuff, vs actually calculating a solution with DA.

If that is what you have it works if you have everything that is what I use.

Reactions: Jknox1030
6 or half dozen. What's nice about DA is you can make range cards at various DAs and know you're covered close enough no matter waht. If you're calculating DA, or more likely, your device is, then it really doesn't matter. There are some subtle approximations in air density calculations no matter what , but they're small and irrelevant. The plus side to measuring the direct inputs is that you can do it with cheap gear, and if you think in terms of physical quantities, it may be more intuitive.

I like using the individual readings when I have them, why I own a Kestrel and DA for recording data.

DA is a databook thing, at least how I look at it and then use it for field expedient stuff, vs actually calculating a solution with DA.

If that is what you have it works if you have everything that is what I use.
Exactly. I use DA for my field cards because it’s quick. If I’m actually taking the time to look at a BC, I’m using the individual data points.

I prefer individual values. My G-shock gives me station pressure and temperature as well as compass heading...and it even tells time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Live readings for me if at all possible.

DA is faster to use. This being said, unless you are using a temperature-insensitive powder, you need temperature anyway, to get the V0 right (in which case you might as well go for pressure + temperature).

DA is faster to use. This being said, unless you are using a temperature-insensitive powder, you need temperature anyway, to get the V0 right (in which case you might as well go for pressure + temperature).

DA if possible but you options. The free data cards at 1stshot.org are a great tool to have in your bag.

How do you pimp free tools man? How much profit is there in free?

How about you check out the tool and see if it is helpful to shooters and getting new shooters up to speed.

How do you pimp free tools man? How much profit is there in free?

How about you check out the tool and see if it is helpful to shooters and getting new shooters up to speed.
I actually did look. It’s pretty good actually. But protocol would be to talk to the HMFIC when advertising your product. Granted you aren’t trying to sell anything but rather drive traffic you’re way. I’m just saying it looked. And felt dirty to me. Lots of vendors here reach out first. That’s all I’m sayin. I’ll leave it to you and frank to figure out the details.

Reactions: cheapmoa
I actually did look. It’s pretty good actually. But protocol would be to talk to the HMFIC when advertising your product. Granted you aren’t trying to sell anything but rather drive traffic you’re way. I’m just saying it looked. And felt dirty to me. Lots of vendors here reach out first. That’s all I’m sayin. I’ll leave it to you and frank to figure out the details.

I didnt realize it was an issue with a give away. I will call or email and make sure he is cool with it. Thanks man.

I didnt realize it was an issue with a give away. I will call or email and make sure he is cool with it. Thanks man.
I’m sure he will have no issue. We self police to keep everything on the up and up. It’s nothing personal against you at all. And I could be way off on protocol as well in which case that just makes me an asshole.

All good man. I sent a PM to @Lowlight and really do appreciate it. Hope you put a set of the cards in your bag for a rainy day. If you like them then share.

It's interesting that this issue came up again today. I was just contemplating this morning about using JBM to print out some customized temp and altitude tables on rite in rain copier paper and just make a waterproof reference book that way.

Reactions: cheapmoa