• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DA ranging with Kestrel 4500

dbateman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
Mt Isa QLD, Australia
I did a search and did not find this question asked before.

I have just received my Kestrel 4500 and it is a pretty good looking bit of gear however when I take a density altitude reading the reading ranges quite a bit.

I am sitting in my house at the moment with no fans or AC running and it is ranging between 2618 and 2630 is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Dose a variation of ten-twenty DA have a grate affect on my come ups?

I was playing around on JBM and it doesn't seem to affect it much at all but I also can't put DA into JBM, well if you can I don't know how.

Thanks.

Re: DA ranging with Kestrel 4500

I run my charts in 1000' increments, 500' for ELR backups. Even a 200' swing is meaningless for 1000 yards or closer.

Thanks for that I just wasn't sure if it was normal or not.

Seems that it is, I haven't shoot with it yet I only just got it but I have the range booked for Tuesday.

JBM has a DA input, it's called "Standard Atm. at Altitude" and it's a little checkbox.

Then you enter the DA into the Altitude box.

I was wondering the same thing. Mine seems to bounce around quite a bit as well.

Good info.