• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dad’s Retirement Rifle

Milemarker28

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 16, 2017
    SW MO
    Good Afternoon All,

This is my first post on the forum (pardon my ignorance on this topic). My Dad is retiring this coming spring after 40+ years of starting his business. He is an avid outdoorsman and has been looking to get into long range shooting with his soon to be “spare” time. I figure the least I can do is get him started off on the right foot. I’ve been reading through a lot of info on the forum, but this is my conundrum buy him a custom rifle so he can put a nice piece of glass on it or something he can build himself. If I go the custom route I was thinking a 6.5 creedmore by MPA. If I got the factory route I was thinking Tikka or Bergara. This is were some knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

I think a custom build is only worth it when you really know what you (he) wants out of what is available. Otherwise you end up building and rebuilding until it finally gets there.

If you don't go custom then depending on budget you could go Accuracy International AT, DTA or Sako TRG22 you can get all in 6.5cm. They are all very good rifles and you will not be disappointed.
    Good luck lets us know what you go with.

Buy an AI AT or a Sako TRG then let your dad get into it. When (if) the time comes that he knows exactly what he wants out of a bespoke rifle, he'll have great resale value in either if selling them is what he wants or needs.

The MPA 6.5CM is a very good rifle, not a bad idea. IMHO.

Being an outdoorsman I’m going to assume he hunts more then he does target shoot or compete. If building a custom I would build somehting more tailored to hunting but offers the ability to shoot match/target scenarios.

I would stick with a 6.5 Creed as it has excellent projectiles for both purposes. It offers factory loaded hunting and match rounds.

I would look at a Manners carbon lay-up stock with adjustable cheek peice, a carbon 6 or Proof carbon barrel (around 20-22”) If funds allow maybe even a titanium action to offset the weight of the adjustable cheekpeice. If I could only have one gun that would be my setup as it allows options like an adjustable cheekpeice and the ability to add a bipod for competition/target shooting but it’s also lite enough to hunt with, even on extended trips. I think with a carbon barrel and stock, along with a titianum action (minus bipod in hunting situations) you could easily have a 9lb gun loaded if you get a solid light weight optic like the Leupold MK6.

If for whatever reason later on he wants to move more toward a single purpose gun you could always change the stock to a lighter weight hunting style stock and drop more weight or move to a chassis that is more tailored to target/competition.

http://www.lonepeakarms.com/razor-ti

Last edited:
    If you want to set him up with something he'll actually like better than anything else you or we can imagine, take him shopping. Let him make the call.

Greg

With much deliberation and speaking with Pusher591(thanks again for all of the help) I found Travis with TS Custom Precision Rifles. He is going to build us a 6.5 creedmore using lone peak’s fuzion ti action, McMillan A-3 edge stock and #5 benchmark Barrel. We should have it just in time for the retirement party!

Travis builds some great sticks and is a heck of a PRS shooter. I have a 7RM Hunting Rifle I had him build for the wife, it hammers!

To quote the Knight guarding the Holy Grail “you chose wisely.” ...... Indiana Jones

Get him involved. Maybe give him a "voucher" for an action, stock barrel. Have him pick out an action, maybe do a rem-age style build on a customer action. This way he gets to be involved in picking the caliber, barrel weight, etc and gets the added bonus of building the rifle together with you as a project. In the end he gets a rifle setup however he wants and the memories of building it with you.