• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daddy's Got a Squeeze Bag. Targets Never Sleep at Night.

Racer88

Firearms Pedant
Minuteman
  • Nov 10, 2018
    Pardon the rather strained attempt at a humorous musical reference (for the old farts among us) in the title. :D

My buddy who dragged me into this precision shooting rabbit hole has said to me, "With precision shooting, a lot of little things add up to a big thing." (Not claiming he originated the aphorism... he probably heard it from someone else. But, I heard it from him.
    smile.png
    )

I went to the rifle range yesterday and today. I think my performance was "meh," but not bad. You know how some days, you're just "on." Some days, not so much. Last weekend, I didn't feel "on." But, it was OK. I'm still learning.

My goal was to focus on trying to "call" my shots and chart them in my data book. I've got a way to go with that skill. I think it will just take practice... lots of practice.... trying to accurately call shots. But, man... I'm loving constantly learning new stuff. And, I love the combination of science and "art" that is precision shooting.

Lovin'... touchin'.... squueeezin'...
    (another musical reference)

Anyway, this post is about an unexpected "discovery" about the rear squeeze bag.

Maybe what follows here is basic knowledge, and I missed it or forgot it as I've been going through this learning curve.

So, for whatever reason, I've always "squeezed (the rear) UP" until my cross-hair comes down on the target and held it there. I think that's how most shooters do it. On occasion, I've even gotten a hand cramp from holding it there (under tension) too long before I break the shot.

Last weekend, I had a little epiphany. Instead of squeezing UP until the cross-hair came DOWN on the bullseye, I started by squeezing the bag BEFORE I firmly established my cheek-weld. Since there is no downward pressure (from my cheek-weld or the weight of my "big head"), the squeeze takes very little effort. I'm just squeezing against the weight of the rifle, which isn't much. Easy-peasy.

Then when I settle on the rifle with my cheek-weld firmly established, the cross-hair is well BELOW the target. I'm still just holding / maintaining the initial squeeze.

Think of it as "pre-squeezing" the bag.

Now, I RELAX my squeeze (the butt goes down) and let the cross-hair rise up until it's on target. Then I just HOLD my "squeeze" at that point.

So, instead of squeezing the bag UP (pushing the cross-hair DOWN) by INCREASING the tension in my hand... I let my hand RELAX until the sight picture is where it needs to be (cross-hair comes UP on the target).

Did that make sense? Are you guys thinking, "Well, DUH, Racer... Everyone knows / does THAT?" LOL!

Or did I stumble into something that could help some folks who are also spiraling down this precision rifle rabbit hole? :D I've read a ton and watched a ton of instructional videos, and I don't recall seeing anything about this, specifically. I found it to be easier.

If you haven't... Try it and let me know what you think. Or was this entire post just stupid? ;)

Last edited:
    I have no idea what the experts will say, but will agree with you that in my world it’s a lot more comfortable and natural to pre- squeeze too.

Rear bag is the bane of my existence; its right up there with poor people, liberals and reggeton music. Since the beginning of time its the only thing I've fought with and they're either too big, too small, too fat, not fat enough, the height I need is in between the 2 heights the bag has, etc.

The pre-squeeze is something that just started happening with me a few years ago. I used to settle on the gun, focusing 100000% on body position, correct shoulder position, natural 'tension' on the gun, etc. Then the bag showed up and started to fuck that all to hell when trying to adjust it to the gun. You're right in that, put the bag down, pre-squeeze and then adjust your body position.

It's doing the same things yet changing the order so you don't screw up 90% of what you did with the last 10%.

Rear bag is the bane of my existence; its right up there with poor people, liberals and reggeton music. Since the beginning of time its the only thing I've fought with and they're either too big, too small, too fat, not fat enough, the height I need is in between the 2 heights the bag has, etc.

The pre-squeeze is something that just started happening with me a few years ago. I used to settle on the gun, focusing 100000% on body position, correct shoulder position, natural 'tension' on the gun, etc. Then the bag showed up and started to fuck that all to hell when trying to adjust it to the gun. You're right in that, put the bag down, pre-squeeze and then adjust your body position.

It's doing the same things yet changing the order so you don't screw up 90% of what you did with the last 10%.

Ah... I figured I wasn't the "first" to "discover" this. But, by some of the other responses, it's at least not commonly practiced (or talked about). And, in all the videos I've watched here (and elsewhere) and books I've read, I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about squeezing technique. I guess, something seemingly so mundane didn't merit any formal instruction or discussion.

I really stumbled into it. But, it was a light-bulb moment. :) A minor one, but surprisingly effective (at least for me).

Last edited:
    I haven't thought about it that way but I sometimes do what your saying. I agree that's a lot easier to settle on target that way.

One thing I noticed is that it's really important to pack/settle the rear bag so that it can't move down any more when the first shot is fired.

I can relate to the musical references you made since I'm an old guy. Haha