• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daisy 22 (yes daisy) with stuck bolt

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Since I have become "that guy" (I'm really not), a friend of my brother asked me to take a look at a Daisy 22 he bought. The bolt will not open and it appears this is a case of frozen grease (Model 2201, single shot youth rifle, yup Daisy made 22 LR!) from what I can see and my research.

I've tried some goo be gone and wd-40 and a few whacks with the mallet, but I'm struggling--there are almost no takedown manuals, and I can't even figure out how to get the action out of the stock--there are no obvious action screws.

Someone with more wisdom would be welcome to chime in.

If I don't respond for a few days,--bear with me, have an appointment with a medical "that guy" who promises to fix me up right.

Found this for removing the stock, hope it helps:
“With the adjustable butt plate closed, push button down and move to the first notch back. Push button down and turn 1/4 turn counter clockwise. Button and spring will come out allowing butt plate to be removed. Reverse to re-install.”

Reactions: roostercogburn98
First off, the gun may be loaded!
Exercise extreme care while servicing. Muzzle awareness!
I’ve only examined a couple of the Legacy models, so running on crappy memory, verify the safety is in the proper position for bolt removal. Also, I think the receiver was made of some form of alloy, make sure the bolt hasn’t become fused to the receiver by exposure to an improper lube.

They made 3 versions from 89-91 iirc. There was a single shot bolt, repeater bolt action, and a semi auto. They were also offered with wood or plastic stocks. In the late 60s, they also made the Daisy Hedden VL series that used caseless ammo. Daisy kinda got bullied out of rhe 22 market imo. The ATF said the didn’t have a manufacturer license for real firearms and they stopped from my understanding. Parts are hard to come by for some models. Mine shoots well and I have used shorts and LR with it.

I’ve got a 2201 at the house. The stock coming off is as @Sum Ting Wong stated. It’s just a screw into the rear of the action for that part. The barrel is held on by that castle but looking thing kinda like a remage prefit. There is a plastic sleeve around a small metal barrel insert. When I get home this afternoon, I’ll go take mine apart and post some pics if you still need it.

I don’t remember any type of safety or bolt lock on mine, but it has sat in my safe untouched for a while now.
3555984A-6BE1-4D2F-8B25-D19E466B5A92.jpeg

00B684B0-B60A-45B8-9F5E-C9A25F8EE6F3.jpeg

Ok step by step on how to tear it down. I’d probably start with the forearm and barrel in your case. Keeping it pointed in a safe direction.

Buttstock: it has to be about 1/4 inch gap open to work. Push the lop button down slightly and turn CCW. Button will pop out with spring, recoil pad will slide out.
D03942A6-2535-49EE-9AE1-5321882FAEF1.jpeg

Remove phillps head bolt and remove buttstock. It slides to the rear and has tabs that mate with the receiver so don’t use your ape hands, be gentle.
F20A7682-BD42-4E0D-A72D-CACF5AA19BAC.jpeg
FD72D077-556A-4A67-9EB9-C3168447EA8E.jpeg
460EB900-A832-48B0-A490-F5FD44492EB2.jpeg

Remove forearm by taking the sling stud out. Pull forward and down.
7B0D17F7-A6F3-4A7D-B278-4A9C964DC079.jpeg

The barrel is held on by the knurled knob, I use a punch and take it loose. It shouldn’t stupid tight or your bolt face and breech face will be too close. It has alignment tabs on it that mate with the receiver as well.
EF297A5D-2C41-4621-9B75-3E1924EAD546.jpeg
71F46537-EC65-4E77-AF9A-0C0A4CE2ED42.jpeg
6A33E8AE-FE8D-4DDA-9C8E-46A3CC67DB6C.jpeg

After you figure that out and see if the bolt will move. The bolt has to be pulled back like you are cocking to get the trigger out. Push the little button down and slide the entire trigger pack rearward, it will fall out. The bolt will slide out the rear
image.jpg

Gun should be completely disassembled and ready to clean. Reverse steps to put back together. Give me a shout if you need help
F0AF4DCC-CD79-433A-899C-3E31AE806E21.jpeg
42DAA4AF-A3D2-4FA0-A8BD-829FA222E247.jpeg

PS

Don’t take that little side plate with the spring in it off. Those parts from my understanding are some of the hardest parts to come across for this model.

They made 3 versions from 89-91 iirc. There was a single shot bolt, repeater bolt action, and a semi auto. They were also offered with wood or plastic stocks. In the late 60s, they also made the Daisy Hedden VL series that used caseless ammo. Daisy kinda got bullied out of rhe 22 market imo. The ATF said the didn’t have a manufacturer license for real firearms and they stopped from my understanding. Parts are hard to come by for some models. Mine shoots well and I have used shorts and LR with it.

I’ve got a 2201 at the house. The stock coming off is as @Sum Ting Wong stated. It’s just a screw into the rear of the action for that part. The barrel is held on by that castle but looking thing kinda like a remage prefit. There is a plastic sleeve around a small metal barrel insert. When I get home this afternoon, I’ll go take mine apart and post some pics if you still need it.

I don’t remember any type of safety or bolt lock on mine, but it has sat in my safe untouched for a while now. View attachment 8318266
View attachment 8318267
Sir, you are a king among men. Thank you VERY MUCH!

Reactions: roostercogburn98