• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dakota Predator 6.5 Grendel 1st range report

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
FINALLY got to the range Saturday for barrel break-in and begin load development. I never have been one to try a ton of loads , I like to find one and stick with it. Anyway, the first results weren't anything earth shattering but it does show potential.,

I shot 120 grain Amax's over 28.5 gr TAC, 130 grain Bergers over 25 gr TAC. I used Rem. 7 1/2 BR and CCI 450 primers, didn't see much difference in primers.

The Amax's averaged 2520 FPS, Bergers 2175.

groups 5, 6, 7, 8 are berger, 1,2,3,4 were the AMAX'S

COAL: AMAX'S 2.240 Bergers 3.370 Both were right at the lands but not touching.

I have some 2520, IMR 8082 and Varget, these may get better velocities with the Bergers , 8 twist barrel

LSSO048.jpg

LSSO049.jpg

LSSO050.jpg

LSSO051.jpg

LSSO052.jpg

LSSO054.jpg

LSSO053.jpg

I will use this to hunt with and I like the Bergers but I think I need a different powder to make the 130's go faster.

Re: Dakota Predator 6.5 Grendel 1st range report

Oh yea, I cleaned after each 5 shot group, except the last three, seemed to shoot better dirty

NIce rifle! What do you plan on hunting with it? Varmints or big game? I keep going back and forth between the 6.5 grendel and 6mmAR on an action that I have. Keep us updated!!

Going to hunt deer, hogs, coyotes, still have lapuas, Barnes Tipped Tripple shocks left to try with some other powders, gotta get the MV up on the heavier bullets.

groups 6 and 8 look the best... must have been higher powder charge ?

some of the others show vertical.. bump up the charge or go slightly faster powder.

Sweet looking rifle. Good friend shoots a couple of the Dakota Arms rifles.....

Stop cleaning so much. I'd give the 2520 a go. TAC is a good powder for the Grendel, I've had a little better success with 2520 in the AR version as have many others. If you want more velocity Varget probably won't get it due to case volume issues.

Had a buddy run some quick load info. it suggested H4350 with the 130 ge berger, being a bolt gun the Bergers don't touch lands till 2.780 maybe enough room for more kernels

What action is that? Does Dakota Arms have their own in house custom action.

I have had great accuracy with 123gr. Lapua Scenars, Win748, CCI #450 primer, Lapua Brass.

This was on a AR-platform.

For hunting and cheap ground hog bustin you should try some 120gr Core-loks as well. My 16" AR Grendel loves them over 30gr of AA2520. They work very well out of a 6.5x55 as well. They made a nice hole in some deer I took last year.

1872CG

bebberson, It is a Nesika "J" action. Although Nesika I think is out of business Dakota may have the rights to using the action. It is a tiny action. That is really why I chose the Grendel. I loved the rifle but the largest caliber I could get in it was the Grendel. I really like the caliber so far.

H4350 is going to be too slow. Varget maybe but still pretty iffy if you can get enough in case. N-135, Benchmark, or H4895 in single base.

N-530 in double base, extruded.

Win 748, BL-C2, or 2520 if you are going ball.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Win 748, BL-C2, or 2520 if you are going ball. </div></div>

Dont forget TAC!

My 6BR Predator shoots 5/8", at 200 yds. Nice rifle.

IIRC, Rem has bought Dakota.