• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

damage to cell phone microphone

Texas T

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2021
Abilene, TX
I recently got a new Apple device and I noticed Siri dictation was a lot more accurate, very accurate. It made me wonder if I’ve been damaging the microphone on my cell phones when I shoot my .300 Norma mag. Anybody have any thoughts about this? UPDATE: found out there are multiple microphones on a cell phone, so there's no easy way to protect it from a rifle crack. I'm thinking if there is damage it will be at the high frequency end, affecting high frequency letters such "S" and "T" enough to effect signal postprocessing but not enough for the average human on a phone call to notice since the brain is good at making "sense" of what its hearing, but enough to affect Siri.

Last edited:
What was your previous phone? Both hardware and software have improved significantly in the last few years.

Not out of the question that there’s been some damage but it’s a pretty tortuous path through floppy stuff to get to the microphone, and the microphone is reasonably mechanically robust.

Not unless you’re holding your phone as close to your muzzle brake as you can while someone else shoots your rifle.

What was your previous phone? Both hardware and software have improved significantly in the last few years.

Not out of the question that there’s been some damage but it’s a pretty tortuous path through floppy stuff to get to the microphone, and the microphone is reasonably mechanically robust.
Phone is a new iPhone 13 Pro max but its laying next to the rifle because I use the ballistics apps on it while I shoot. Shot probably 100 rounds easily before getting the Apple Watch which works so much better. All this came to light because I took a shot and my watch gave a haptic buzz telling me the shockwave triggered a sensor.

maybe because it's a new phone with better tech and isnt clogged with 2 years of lint and oil and grime?
Phone is a few weeks old but maybe 100 rounds shot right next to it, apple watch is brand new. I wonder if there a phone app that will characterize the acoustic bandwidth and reveal damage. Would need a white noise source, of course firing a supersonic bullet IS a white noise source, ha, ha. What do they call that, a destructive test, where the thing being tested is destroyed in the process, like a NHTSA car safety crash.