• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damage to the Neck after firing...

riverrat13

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Newbern, TN
I don't know for sure if this is a reloading issue, or an ejection issue, so I am looking for advice. I am not sure what is happening, but I am having dents at the end of the neck after I eject the case. This has happened to 3 of the last 30 rounds I have fired.

This is twice fired Peterson SRP 6.5 CM Brass loaded with 41.4 GR of H4350 seated with 140 GR ELD-M @ 2.198'' to the OGIVE. No other pressure signs, and I have shot this same round without pressures signs up to 42.2 GR of H4350. I am using an AI 10 round mag.

Could this be an ejection issue? A mag issue? Or a reloading issue...

Attachments

• IMG_2877.jpg
    IMG_2877.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 105
Look at the windage knob on your scope look for brass,knicks etc on the knob...chamber a fired case and watch from a low view and see if brass is hitting your scope....I had the same dented necks and that was the problem may be your too.

I do not pull the bolt hard, this was at a normal day at the range. I catch the case before it ever leaves action.

Nothing to do with pressure. If you are seeing this at the range it is happening on ejection some way. You don't have to pull the bolt hard it is the ejector spring that flips it into something. Maybe the edge of the chamber, maybe the side of the action, maybe something else. If you are not seeing it until you get home it could be happening inside wherever you are putting your brass or while tumbling.

I saw it as soon as it left the action... I am guessing the ejector is causing it to hit something on the action. What could I do to try and find that location?? And what would I do if I found it?

For anyone who encounters this problem in the future, I will describe what I believe was my problem and what I did to prevent it.

This is a Rem 700 action with a standard bolt face. I believe the ejector was slamming my empty case against the inside of the action prior to ejection at such a force it was denting my necks. The force, against the still very hot brass is what is causing the deformation.

I removed ejector pin and spring by using a 1/16'' punch on the pin directly behind the ejector pin. After removing the pin, the ejector and spring will fall out. My existing spring measured 1.1'' long. I cut 0.1'' off of the spring with a pair of electric pliers (needle nose would probably work) then reinstalled the spring and ejector. That minimized the force of ejection quite a bit, but it is still enough to force the case out of the action. I haven't had a chance to try a fired case, but it appears that it will eject the round just a few inches out of the action. Previously, the case would fly at least a foot.

I honestly wish I would have cut a little bit less, maybe .08 instead of .1.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Reactions: MarinePMI
For anyone who encounters this problem in the future, I will describe what I believe was my problem and what I did to prevent it.

This is a Rem 700 action with a standard bolt face. I believe the ejector was slamming my empty case against the inside of the action prior to ejection at such a force it was denting my necks. The force, against the still very hot brass is what is causing the deformation.

I removed ejector pin and spring by using a 1/16'' punch on the pin directly behind the ejector pin. After removing the pin, the ejector and spring will fall out. My existing spring measured 1.1'' long. I cut 0.1'' off of the spring with a pair of electric pliers (needle nose would probably work) then reinstalled the spring and ejector. That minimized the force of ejection quite a bit, but it is still enough to force the case out of the action. I haven't had a chance to try a fired case, but it appears that it will eject the round just a few inches out of the action. Previously, the case would fly at least a foot.

I honestly wish I would have cut a little bit less, maybe .08 instead of .1.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
I took a little off my spring as well. It is a PTG bolt so I got the spring from somewhere but man it was stout. Still is pretty stout. I had to put some leather/suede on the receiver to keep the brass from chipping off the cerakote!
C812877D-BE46-4DC8-8A2B-562887F2F0B8.jpeg

The ejector in a Remington 700 is spring loaded. It will push the case up against the inside of the action as you extract it. This is what stores the potential energy to eject it once it clears the action. This is not a problem. This is completely normal.

Reactions: MarinePMI
The ejector in a Remington 700 is spring loaded. It will push the case up against the inside of the action as you extract it. This is what stores the potential energy to eject it once it clears the action. This is not a problem. This is completely normal.
I think he was saying the spring was too stout. That was the case with mine for sure. I could hear the extractor snapping over the rim when the bolt closed because it was taking so much tension to depress the ejector. On virgin brass the extractor wouldn't even catch most of the time.

I don't know for sure if this is a reloading issue, or an ejection issue, so I am looking for advice. I am not sure what is happening, but I am having dents at the end of the neck after I eject the case. This has happened to 3 of the last 30 rounds I have fired.

This is twice fired Peterson SRP 6.5 CM Brass loaded with 41.4 GR of H4350 seated with 140 GR ELD-M @ 2.198'' to the OGIVE. No other pressure signs, and I have shot this same round without pressures signs up to 42.2 GR of H4350. I am using an AI 10 round mag.

Could this be an ejection issue? A mag issue? Or a reloading issue...
ejection issue,cartridge hitting receiver leaving flat spot on neck