• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damaged 700 bolt?

justinbaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
new mexico
ok so yesterday at the range after firing a shot, i went to cycle the bolt and when i went to close the bolt on a new round it stuck

well with a little force it lifted, and i removed the bolt.

and here is what i found. isnt that bottom lug (correct term?) supposed to be straigh across?

this is a 308 btw
my700.jpg

i happen to have my brother in laws 270 wsm 700 so i took his bolt out and his is straight
BIL700.jpg

so is mine damaged? if so what do i do about it?

Re: Damaged 700 bolt?

Ya... time to fine a smith -- Looks to me about time for a new bolt...

smile.gif

Look closer, there's a scuff mark like your front guard screw is binding on the bolt lug. The slot is for the anti bind rail and your's looks just like it came from remington (no shinny wear areas) but does look bad.

Look inside the receiver with the bolt removed, look at the front guard screw and make sure it's not sticking up into the receiver under the bolt lug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look closer, there's a scuff mark like your front guard screw is binding on the bolt lug. The slot is for the anti bind rail and your's looks just like it came from remington (no shinny wear areas) but does look bad.

Look inside the receiver with the bolt removed, look at the front guard screw and make sure it's not sticking up into the receiver under the bolt lug. </div></div>

it doesnt look like it does. and i dont feel any grinding when i slowly close the bolt.

couple weeks ago i had to trim those screws when i installed my DBM. thought i had that screw flush and out of the way
eek.gif

The picture shows the slot for the anti bind rail to ride in. The rotational aligment of that slot with the anti bind rail is dependent on either the bolt handle or the bolt shroud when you lift the bolt. The chamfer you see is to allow the bolt to engage the internal anti bind rail when the bolt is pulled to the rear. It is not f'd.

so is this a problem that will be dangerous to shoot?

i just pulled it off the stock and have a good look in the action, didnt see any thing out of whack

i cleaned it up abit and there is definitely a scratch. roscoe is this what you were referring to?

my700clean-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The picture shows the slot for the anti bind rail to ride in. The rotational aligment of that slot with the anti bind rail is dependent on either the bolt handle or the bolt shroud when you lift the bolt. The chamfer you see is to allow the bolt to engage the internal anti bind rail when the bolt is pulled to the rear. It is not f'd. </div></div>

i typed up my last post before seeing that you responded.

so then is this normal? am i GTG

if i am, should i trim a little more off the front screw, so it sits just below flush.

supposed to have a match in the morning

thanks for all the responses guys!

Yes, the line on your bolt lug. You said the bolt was stuck on a new round. Either the bolt lug is in a bind on the screw or the ammo headspace is too long. Is the ammo new or new to you ammo?

I've had people say it's new ammo and argue with me on the phone only to find out the ammo is new to them...........reloads.

Which is it?

How does the bolt cycle on an empty chamber?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the line on your bolt lug. You said the bolt was stuck on a new round. Either the bolt lug is in a bind on the screw or the ammo headspace is too long. Is the ammo new or new to you ammo?

I've had people say it's new ammo and argue with me on the phone only to find out the ammo is new to them...........reloads.

Which is it?

How does the bolt cycle on an empty chamber? </div></div>

they are reloads, but it wasnt sticking with the bolt closed.

it was more like i went to close the bolt and it hung up on something before i could close it. thats why i thought perhaps it chipped part of the lug off

but i guess it could have been some dirt/carbon build up or something.

i dont think its the ammo's fault, as i had already fired around 30 rounds of the same batch of reloads

bolt cycles fine empty and with a round
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they are reloads </div></div>

wink.gif

Check your shoulder bump as well, could have had a round that was too long in HS. Something still marked up your lug though.

I had the same problem, turns out my shoulder wasn't bumped back far enough

"it was more like i went to close the bolt and it hung up on something before i could close it. thats why i thought perhaps it chipped part of the lug off"

I'll bet it's the same old Remington extractor issue. Extractor starts to bit into the rim, the bolt hasn't moved forward enough to engage the camming surfaces and it feels like it's hung up. If you have a Dremel tool or can get access to one take a cratex polishing wheel and polish the inside edge of your extractor. It mean less resistance when closing the bolt and will probably shave off less brass. Using brass shot in another rifle can be problematic at times.

Dave nailed it again! I would definitely make sure the front guard screw is trimmed to be ever so slightly recessed and go shoot it. Just make sure to check your headspace on fired brass and set your die up to bump the shoulder just under that figure. Redding Competition shellholders are great for this!