• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damaged my FL Die, any ideas

tip2oo3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2010
SE Ohio
I managed to damage my redding FL die. I was trying to fit my cases to my chamber ( unscrewed die 1 turn from shellholder, chambered, turned die down in increments) when I got close to the shellholder the cases were getting very tough to push into and my case mouths were oblong. Pulled the die and found this
GEDC0827.jpg
GEDC0828.jpg

The decapper pin was sheared and the shaft was bent. I'm contacting redding to correst the problem but anyone have an idea how I fubar'd this die? Press is RCBS Single stage using Imperial case lube

Re: Damaged my FL Die, any ideas

Your decapper rod was adjusted too long and it was bottoming out in the case. The rod bent to the side under the pressure and the decapper pin broke in the flash hole. Then when the angled/bent rod caused the elongated expander ball to enter and exit the case mouths at an angle, the case mouths got the oblong shape.

Just a guess.
It coulda been something else.

I bent one in December or January kind of like that. I had media in the case and forced it. They sent me a new stem when I emailed to ask how much they were. They also said Midway carries spare parts if I wanted to buy a spare. I'll just take the one from my neck sizing die like I did in December until I get a replacement again.

PS Redding stems are sized by caliber, I don't know where they change but a .30 stem won't fit a .223 die or expander ball. Luckily I had a .223 neck sizing die.

I found the part on midway, thanks for the tip

I forgot to update but you are correct. Redding emailed me and offered to send one for free. Awesome customer service for sure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You wasted your money at Midway

Redding has fantastic customer service and will always replace broken parts and ship to you for free </div></div>

Agree, they do have great customer service, but I have also bought from Midway.

When I broke the first one and got a free one from Redding that was great. When I broke the second one, I figure it was my own dumb fault, so I ordered from Midway. I just don;t think Redding needs to continue providing free decapping assemblies when I do something stupid, even though I am sure they would.

Just my 2 cents.
madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your decapper rod was adjusted too long and it was bottoming out in the case. The rod bent to the side under the pressure and the decapper pin broke in the flash hole. </div></div>

At this point, the question becomes::

Why did you NOT FEEL the decapper at the lever handle with the arm being used to push on the lever arm? Are you not aware of how much force it takes to size brass, and that if you feel more force than that something is WRONG and to STOP right now?

I asked myself the same thing. For me long session and a fast stroke.

That's a mess. Did you drop the die? Have you used it before or is it new? Did you have the center shaft locking nut tight when you ran a shell into it?

bshaw

Not an entirely uncommon problem. BTDT, it's a valuable lesson; if it feels wrong, STOP!

I was working a piece of brass that was already deprimed trying to find the sweet spot for sizing. Since I wasn't paying attention to the depriming adjustment I think it was loose and bam. When I noticed something was up I tore the die apart and it was too late. Lesson learned.

For reference I've managed to do something similar with a RBCS 223 die. I had a berdan piece sneak into a pile of boxer primed brass, and when I ran the press handle, I heard a crunch/snap/pop -- I had broken the decapping pin in three pieces, bent the expander ball out of round, and bent the decapping rod where it necks down for the small thread.

I looked at Midway, but they don't sell RCBS die parts, only whole dies. So I called RCBS, explained the damage was my fault, and they refused payment and sent a new piece out. Excellent customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tip2oo3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was working a piece of brass that was already deprimed trying to find the sweet spot for sizing. Since I wasn't paying attention to the depriming adjustment I think it was loose and bam. When I noticed something was up I tore the die apart and it was too late. Lesson learned. </div></div>

Next time take the decap stem right out of the die to set the die up. Once set up, install the decap stem and adjust it down in small increments until it pushes on the primer just enough to decap the case. That's the rest of the lesson.

Your base holder or brass was probably not lined up perfectly or in other other it was off-center.

Redding will send you a new one free of charge. Call or email them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding will send you a new one free of charge. Call or email them. </div></div>

They had a new stem in my mail within a couple days. They take care of you for sure.