• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damn....hate to hear it

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida

bears-chicago-bears.gif

That whole era.
    The steel curtain
    The Raiders
    Fridge

That was pretty much the last of real football.
    They should call it flag football now......amirite ?

90s to early 2000s were still good. 2010 and beyond is a big meh.

Fridge was my Idea of a Football player
    Gayle Sayers, my idea of a gazelle
    Roger Stauback, especially in his college days; ”The Impossible (to tackle) Man.”
    Jim Taylor, The unstoppable force
    Bart Star, the quarterback who conquered Vince Lombardi.

And then there’s

The Neville HS(Monroe) Tigers, 1959-1962, lost one game in four years, college teams were proud that they did not have to schedule them

Bill Ruple, Charlie Brown, Chick Childress. The greatest coaching staff in the history of sports.

Bill Ruple won multiple state championships and established the Neville dynasty that endures to this day,

Charlie Brown, Ruple‘s offensive coach, took over the Neville HS progam on Ruple’s retirement and won multiple state championships, even earning fame in the New York Times, having a team to play three playoff games in 7 days and the last was a state championship

Finally Chick Childress, Ruple‘s defensive coach, grew up in an orphanage, kept on to gain a college degree and after leaving Neville, became the head coach at Ruston HS and won multiple state championships.

In North Louisiana, there’s Football and then there’s Neville HS Football and everyone hates em.

79D2FC2F-056F-4675-B6C1-F9AA8B93971D.jpeg

Fun Fact: After the 1959 championship game over Thibodaux, HS, it was determined by the State Board of Education that the Principal of the high school had to be the highest paid employee at the school. The Principal, Mr. Sydney Seagars, got a substantial pay raise to earn more than Coach Ruple

Second fun fact. In the game with Thibodaux, Neville Half Back, Joe Cage did a 78 yard touchdown run. The announcer, a true Cajun screamed over the microphone (to the entire stadium)……..Look at that Son of a Bitch GO!

Last edited:
    I remember watching him play as a kid. Granted, my team was the Cowboys from 1970 on, even though I was born and living in California (and later excited to be moving to Texas and in the Metroplex area, too, to be near to my team) But Butkus was, indeed, a force to be reckoned with.

God bless him and his family. And all of us who reveled in his glory and heart for the game. He brought nothing but honor and integrity to it.

Reactions: 6/250/40
    I just heard his radio commercial a few hours ago, he sounded fine. ;)

Actually when I started hearing that commercial a few weeks ago, I was surprised to hear him at all, but also that he sounded so good, no different than he had for the last 50 years. Never knowingly saw him play as a kid, but he was a staple on television for decades. :(

When you watch them, almost every play you go "that would be a penalty today, that would be a penalty, that would be a penalty..."

Part of the reason football has lost the appeal. That and the infusion of political woke bs.

Fridge was my Idea of a Football player
    Gayle Sayers, my idea of a gazelle
    Roger Stauback, especially in his college days; ”The Impossible (to tackle) Man.”
    Jim Taylor, The unstoppable force
    Bart Star, the quarterback who conquered Vince Lombardi.

And then there’s

The Neville HS(Monroe) Tigers, 1959-1962, lost one game in four years, college teams were proud that they did not have to schedule them

Bill Ruple, Charlie Brown, Chick Childress. The greatest coaching staff in the history of sports.

Bill Ruple won multiple state championships and established the Neville dynasty that endures to this day,

Charlie Brown, Ruple‘s offensive coach, took over the Neville HS progam on Ruple’s retirement and won multiple state championships, even earning fame in the New York Times, having a team to play three playoff games in 7 days and the last was a state championship

Finally Chick Childress, Ruple‘s defensive coach, grew up in an orphanage, kept on to gain a college degree and after leaving Neville, became the head coach at Ruston HS and won multiple state championships.

In North Louisiana, there’s Football and then there’s Neville HS Football and everyone hates em.

View attachment 8242551

Fun Fact: After the 1959 championship game over Thibodaux, HS, it was determined by the State Board of Education that the Principal of the high school had to be the highest paid employee at the school. The Principal, Mr. Sydney Seagars, got a substantial pay raise to earn more than Coach Ruple

Second fun fact. In the game with Thibodaux, Neville Half Back, Joe Cage did a 78 yard touchdown run. The announcer, a true Cajun screamed over the microphone (to the entire stadium)……..Look at that Son of a Bitch GO!
    You’re right everyone hated Neville. They were a thorn in everyone’s side for a long long time. I went to Captain Shreve, and I hated to see Neville come to town. 😆

there were three hellacious middle linebackers in my memory, Ray Nitschke, Jack Lambert and this guy... head and shoulders above any of the rest, including today... intimidation .. pain... "do I wanna go back out on that field with that animal".... superlatives don't find adequate use in defining who he was... the way he filled that helmet with pure and obvious rage has never been matched...

Reactions: ZiaHunter
    I saw him earlier this season, I think his son is a coach for the Packers or Bears--just seeing him using a cane was tough. He was 80, but such a force of nature. Sounds like he died in his sleep.

there were three hellacious middle linebackers in my memory, Ray Nitschke, Jack Lambert and this guy... head and shoulders above any of the rest, including today... intimidation .. pain... "do I wanna go back out on that field with that animal".... superlatives don't find adequate use in defining who he was... the way he filled that helmet with pure and obvious rage has never been matched...
    Don't forget "The Assassin" (look it up)

it's a shame we are all going to go at some point at least he still had his mind and those who care about him around him. personally I can think of tons of worse ways to go .

Grew up watching football in the 60's and loved watching the game. It was pure football with many great players such as Starr, Nitschke, Brown and others. Today too much hype and politics and don't watch it since there a far better ways to spend Fall days in the beautiful Southwest.

Lived in Wisconsin for a few years when I was young, Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke did some TV commercials together on a local Green Bay TV station, went something like Hi I'm Ray Nitschke and this is my dog Butkus then Hi I'm Dick Butkus and this is my cat Nitschke, then went on about who was the best Bears or Packers, pretty cool stuff.

Butkus lived a good life. We all go sometime.

A few weekends ago, we were watching the entertainer at the nursing facility where my wife lives. He had a triple bypass done in March. Finally back to doing a gig (seated). He got through about 4 songs and keeled over, banged his head on a coffee table and landed on his guitar.

He was a special forces soldier in Vietnam, jumping out of really good airplanes. But he liked entertaining, playing guitar, and he was good, and singing.

We immediately called 911. The fire station is just up the road 300 yards and the nearest and best trauma hospital is, in fact, right across the street. They were using the automatic chest compressor and got him there. He was on life support until midnight when his family made the decision to unplug.

If we could all go, doing what we really love.

So, I think the same thing for Butkus. Heaven has a new nose guard.

Reactions: Snipe260
    I watched him when he was at the Naval Academy and later live, I‘ve seen many a quarterback in my days, but only one approached his overall abilities, and that was Joe Burrow when he was at LSU. Both were magic when the shit was about to hit the fan.

But Roger, he was the greatest and I’ve seen them all.

Reactions: Ronws