• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308crosshairs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2005
Dallas
DSCN1219-2.jpg
These bastids are gettin aggressive, at least he died on a full stomach.

Re: Damn Hogs

Very nice, a good hog is a dead one! Those damn things are everywhere in TX now. I shoot everyone I see.

My wife was born and raised in Texas and between her family and us we have quite a bit of land in the hill country. I used to charge guys from Arizona to and hunt hogs on our ranch over there. Now we have been overun by them and I beg my buddies to go and take their friends and kill as many as they want!

Even while bow hunting we try to line two of them up. Saw one that looked like a short cow a few weeks ago. Hope to knock a few more down this weekend.

I try to do the same, line two of them up. But this boar was a loner at 01:45 HRS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife was born and raised in Texas and between her family and us we have quite a bit of land in the hill country. I used to charge guys from Arizona to and hunt hogs on our ranch over there. Now we have been overun by them and I beg my buddies to go and take their friends and kill as many as they want! </div></div>

If you want a lot of help, just put the word out on the Hide. You may well get flooded with volunteers wanting to hunt down hogs. Seriously, no kidding.

Got a lot of them in the ozarks, here in MO too. No season, no tags, just free game! Talking with the guys from down south, I hear its easy to see where they've been but hard finding them.

Excuse my ignorance Dfoosking, but what is a 522 speedmaster? Are you referring to the 22LR in the pic?

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't kill the hog with the 22LR. I wouldn't attempt to kill a hog of this size with a 22LR unless it was very near and it would be a head shot. The 22LR was used as a prop in the pic....just my dark humor. Anyway I killed this hog with a 300WSM/180gr accubond with the aid of a PVS27 under a near full moon at 300 yrds, he was a DRT.

Before our state got over run with hogs, I mostly hunted with my 22-250 except when deer season came around. Killed plenty of coyotes with the 22-250, love the caliber....flat shooting/speedy. But now, pretty much hunt with the 300WSM or 308, just would rather have the advantage of the big calibers with the big tough hogs. But one of the largest boars I ever killed (head shot) was with a 223 69 gr SMK, made this last one look little in comparison.

i can work out some time off to come out and take care of some of your pig problems. I live in cali

Glad you took care of that pork chop before he got one of us!

22-250 makes an awesome varmint/large game animsl...when limited to deer and pig....a Hornady 60 spire hollow point interlock....GREAT performers____________pigs in the ear or just behind the last rib to take the liver out...DEER about anywhere...neck, head, high shoulder, backbone, lungs etc...under 175yds...just plain old DEADLY

I am having fantastic success with the 6.8 X 43mm, loaded with the new 95 grain Barnes TTSX. It is going 2900 out of my 20" barrel, and 2650 from my suppressed SBR. I have bang-flopped at least 45 hogs with that load all the way to 200 yards. even shoulder-shot.

I have had good success with the 6.5 Grendel as well, it is a hogs worst nightmare. Any recommedations for a good huntin bullet for the 6.5 G? I am using AA Arms 123 HP Lapua Scenar ammo which I purchased with the rifle. I plan on getting dies for it soon, just need a good huntin bullet.

DSCN1232-2.jpg
Got these two boars, the gray on 28th at 1930 hrs and the spotted boar at 0730 hrs at the same 175 yard bait site. On the 30th killed another boar at 0550 hrs at the 300 yard bait site. All boars shot with 300 SM.

The gray was a behind the shoulder and the spotted was a lower ear shot. The black boar was neck shot, all boars were DRT's.

Killed a coyote at noon that was about to chow down on the spotted boar from the bedroom window that faces the 175 yard bait site.

The gray boar was shot under a led light, with the spotted boar shot in early morning. The black boar was shot under a half moon with the aid of PVS27.

One note on the black boar. I rigged up a motiom detector to wake me up if any critter were to walk into the bait site. The chime woke me at 0550 hrs....dead hog.

The part of Georgia I live in has a bunch of hogs and bears. I hate them both. Which the 150 lbs or less hogs are good eating. But between hogs and bears the dear have left out. They won't stay around were they are of course the land is destroyed when they come thru leaving nothing for the dear to eat. I've lost count how many hogs I've shot the last 4 or 5 yrs. The game warden told a buddy if was on a wma hunt and he saw him hunting and if he saw him let a hog go he was going to ticket him. Lol thought that was pretty funny.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have seriously hundreds of pictures of pigs on the game cams on our property. This is just a few. They even took out one of the cameras at one of the feeders. After Deer Season we are going there and killing as many pigs as we can kill. I wish I had a night vision scope!!</span>

PICT0911.jpg

PICT1130.jpg

PICT0689.jpg

PICT1368.jpg

PICT1675.jpg

PICT0779.jpg

PICT0794.jpg

PICT0871.jpg

PICT0980.jpg

PICT0827.jpg

Heavy duty hog fence is the way to go to keep hogs out of your deer/protein feeders. However N/V is the way to go to increase your kill numbers on hogs, it works for me.

I'm so jealous I could die!!!
We have problems with BushPigs on our farm & I'm looking at NV but it's out of proportion expensive here. +/- $4300 for low-end PS22.
I'm thinking about a ATN Viper to just aid in stalking & later investing in a PS22 for my .30-06

Happy hunting guys.

Regards from South-Africa

SvN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308crosshairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCN1236-1.jpg
</div></div>

This pic here, kinda touched me. Its like one of those- Forbidden Friendship Disney Movies, all warm-n-fuzzy with a tragic ending. *sniffle*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308crosshairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCN1141-2.jpg
</div></div>

Nice kill. What are the specs on your rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I have seriously hundreds of pictures of pigs on the game cams on our property. This is just a few. They even took out one of the cameras at one of the feeders. After Deer Season we are going there and killing as many pigs as we can kill. I wish I had a night vision scope!!</span></div></div>

Where in Texas are you located? If you're anywhere close to DFW, then I'd be glad to come help you; I have thermal and night vision to share for 2 to maybe 4 shooters (weapon and head/helmet mounted)...

B Melick....The rifle pictured with the hog is a 300WSM with a Krieger 26in barrel on a McMillan A-3 stock with a factory tuned trigger by the smith. The rifle has now since the picture was taken a Badger embedded front rail for a PVS27.