• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damn I missed you Sons of Bitches.

2ndamendfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2010
UT
So I probably can not tell my story in one post but here go some epic highlights.

I have been gone two weeks+ .

My daughter's senior university class had scheduled/planned for almost a year to go out of the country to do some humanitarian work. Something the senior class does every year. Previous two years were in Africa, thank God it was not Africa again this year. The stories from Africa are pretty bad.

This year was Fiji. The plan was to build a school, we ended up adding about 1500sqft to two existing buildings. Plus repaired a village community hall that was damaged by a cyclone a couple years ago.

Last November I had a chance to fill out paper work to request to go along. Not as a chaperon but as a "community member". With professors taking spouses and such there were only 4 actual open spots. Initially I was not chosen, but put as an alternate. About 6 weeks prior to leaving I received a call giving me a couple hours to decide if I could go. I made the choice to go and possibly bond with my daughter more, as she is a little closer to her mother (my wife).

I don't travel a lot, but due to opportunities that have have come up, in the last two years I have actually traveled more than the previous 30.

Let's start with 2 hour flight to LAX, California, 7 hour layover, 11 hour flight to Nadi, Fiji. 7 hour layover in the smallest airport ever seen for a 45 min flight to Labasa then a 3 hour bus ride to Nabouwalu. I can not sleep on a plane so I was up for about 35 hours. Due to the international date line it was a two day trip. Left on a Wednesday at 3pm arrived Friday about 8pm.

When we arrived the village threw us a big party.

There were 40 of us, about 30 university students, 5-6 university staff and a couple volunteers like myself.

We split into 3 groups and stayed at 3 separate villages, as 40 people staying in a village of 30-40 people would have put a huge strain on limited resources.

Saturday about 4pm the first symptoms started, Diarrhea. About 8pm I threw up violently. I was not there even 24hrs, it is possible I got something during travel (LAX must have had 500,000 people, was a damn mad house).

On the island everyone was eating and drinking the same food/water. Just saying I am not sure where it came from.

I could NOT keep anything inside me for 4 days. Less than 8oz water and 2 crackers in that time. Knowing I was in bad shape and that the hospital closed about 5pm I asked to be taken to the hospital in Nabouwalu at about 4pm Tuesday. I was pretty sure I would have lived through the night had I not went then, but the morning could have involved a 3 hour ambulance ride to the larger more capable hospital on the other side other island. I was fading fast.

I spent one night in a government run hospital that was from the 1950's. The part I was in was actually brand new, just remodeled that week, but the design and technology were from "leave it to beaver" era.

I was supposed to get 3 liters of fluids in 24 hours, after about 18hrs I had gotten about 1.3L (including some antibiotics). The IV kept stopping, about every 20 minutes my daughter had to get a nurse to clear the line. They used an extremely narrow needle in my wrist.

I felt a shit ton better and they said I could go, so I left.

Urine was still extremely dark (almost brown), but I wanted out of there and could keep fluids down so I went back to the village and drank about 2 gallons of water over the next 30ish hours. No food for almost a week, even the smell of rice made me sick.

Let me just say that "universal" health care is just as bad as we imagine it is. The villagers don't pay much if anything into the system as they don't have much income. But I looked up the Fiji tax system and those with money (business owners, people with jobs in cites) are getting taxed a shit ton. It is kind of a weird system but upwards of 50-60%.

The villagers are living a frontier life style, not unlike what moving to Montana in 1840 would be like. They live off the land, and sea.

Nabouwalu did have electricity, that also went to the other two villages we were spread across (both about 5 miles away from Nabouwalu). It was on from 7am-noon, off until 2pm and then back on until 11pm Mon-Sat. Sunday was 2 hours less, 3pm-10pm.

When I was in the hospital, they said the power would follow the same pattern UNLESS there was a body in the morgue, then they would turn on an emergency generator for the hospital to keep the refrigeration unit going. There was a body, but it got picked up about 9pm.

A lady 6 beds down from me gave birth to a child that night.

I am leaving some details out, any questions ask.

One thing, because I was not a citizen of Fiji they were pretty sure I needed to pay. In the end they did not charge me anything, because no shit, they had no billing department. No one knew how to even start the billing process, including when they called the bigger hospital 3 hours away in Labasa.

We did have limited cell service. on about day 7 my cell phone went ape shit and ended up inop a few hours later. In our group we had 7 phones go down. All had previously cracked screens. My theory is that because we live at about 5000ft and in a very dry climate, inside the screen was lower pressure than sea level and over the course of a few days humidity made its way into the phones between the display and either the outer glass or the touch sensor.

All the phones that went down, the displays all turned in to blob of screwed up pixels.

So new phone was purchased with in hours of getting home. I am going to order a new display for old phone (I have replaced a couple before) to try and retrieve some data off it if possible.

I do want to say thanks to @Tucker301 for helping me get back in here, as my old phone had the 2 step authentication code generator on it.

@powdahound76 guided me on a water filter a few months back, and it worked well. All the water I used went through that filter. One person that was with us did a project on water contamination and tested water from about 30 places including the dwelling we were staying in. It pretty much all had fecal mater in it, along with some bacteria (unknown what the bacteria was). We tested water from my filter set up and it stopped all the fecal mater/e coli/cryptosporidium.

Another member here contacted me yesterday making sure I was okay, being that he had not seen me in the forums for a couple weeks. I want to thank him as well. It is always nice when others think of you.

Glad to be home, I missed my wife and my bed. Glad to be alive. Glad to live in the USA!!

Last edited:
Glad to see you both made it back ok but damn that sure must give you some perspective on how a lot of people live.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Welcome back buddy and I am glad none of the obstacles you guys faced were too much, though that was one heck of a good adventure right there. And much congratulations on your daughter's success in her education as well. You guys definitely made a positive impact on a lot of folks' lives and you have a story to tell for a good time afterward also. (y)

Man! that's one for the grandkids!
Glad you're back safe and sound!

We're casually looking at and considering maybe going to Australia to see U2 on this Joshua Tree tour they just announced. I hate sitting anywhere for very long, so the long flights are daunting.
I think if we do it we'll got the Western route. It's about the same amount of time in the air either way, but if we fly West we should gain a day instead of lose one, right? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Is it too early to raise a toast to you?

Let's start with 2 hour flight to LAX, California, 7 hour layover, 11 hour flight to Nadi, Fiji. 7 hour layover in the smallest airport ever seen for a 45 min flight to Labasa then a 3 hour bus ride to Nabouwalu. I can not sleep on a plane so I was up for about 35 hours. Due to the international date line it was a two day trip. Left on a Wednesday at 3pm arrived Friday about 8pm.

Did you ever fly with MAC - Military Airlift Command (more commonly known as Maybe Airplane Come)?

Glad you made it back ambulatory. Third world makes you appreciate what we have.

That was a hell of an adventure but glad you made it back.

You are richer for having gone through it and hopefully achieved your goal of increased bonding with your daughter.

Great story brother, nice move spending time with your baby girl. You only have that time once.

I went through the diarrhea thing a couple years ago. Shit juice for a week and like you couldnt even think of eating and not much water would stay down. A couple times I got so weak I wondered if I would have the strength to come back. Nasty stuff, dysentery.

And fuck LAX. (short for laxitive o_O )

Went to Fiji in 2006, both people I went with had the same experience. Lost 10+ pounds in a week. I guessed that having spent time in American Samoa as a child, I had some immunity to the bacteria of the South Pacific.

Well Dang. I figured you were just swamped with catching up and getting sleep after getting back.

I am glad the water filter worked. Always good to have clean H2O.

That GI bug sounds terrible. Glad you were able to get some hydration which is really key to not messing up your kidneys in a situation like this. Wish your phone woulda worked and I could have offered possibly some useful help. Hate to hear about a brother down and not being able to help you.

I would guess by onset of symptoms, that you got it on a plane or at LAX. Could be local and not likely. I am not a germ a phobe by any means and carry sanitizer and wash my hands like crazy in crowded public places. Norovirus anyone?

For anyone else traveling. Normal travelers med kit should have Imodium in it, along with normal pain meds/fever reducers. IF you can convince your Dr to give you a script for some Zofran ODT tabs that would be good. This is a "magical" tab that melts on your tongue and helps with nausea so at a minimum hopefully one can hydrate (this is the most important part). Also, when you can hold anything down, tiny sips (about 5-10 mL) of warm water every 3-5 minutes is good. Warm water can absorb in the esophagus as well as very quickly once down. With smaller sips (5mL) its mostly all absorbed so it works very well. Cold water has to be warmed in your body to absorb, so it just sits and almost always causes more stomach upset. In many places, including here, this is the preferred way to rehydrate if possible, great in kids who dont want a needle poke for an IV. Lot of people here in the states want an IV if they come to the ER, so they get it. The earlier one can start on this slow process of oral rehydration, the better. Its sometimes hard to push, though I have done it to myself and my daughter.

In @2ndamendfan situation, it was absolutely key for him to have an IV and get some hydration. Sounds like they (hospital staff) coulda used a little more knowledge......

Glad you made it back and shared some of your crazy story.

Last edited:
Glad your back safe man! That’s why I won’t go to a third world shithole! I’ll stay here and help my fellow Americans !

For anyone else traveling. Normal travelers med kit should have Imodium in it, along with normal pain meds/fever reducers. IF you can convince your Dr to give you a script for some Zofran ODT tabs that would be good.
I learned the Imodium as a travel essential lesson the hard way. Flying back home from Kabul through Dubai, I ate the breakfast on the plane and had a long layover which I spent in one of the massive malls Dubai has. That afternoon while toy shopping for a souvenir for my kids, the need to shit slammed me so bad I dropped what was in my hands and commenced on a quarter mile walk to the nearest restroom. By the time I got there and blew up the toilet, I had pinched my cheeks so hard I got a nasty hemorrhoid, then had to stop off two more times to the bathroom in the next hour. I found a pharmacy staffed by one young and one old arab woman, neither of which spoke very much English, and after not finding any Imodium on the shelves (it's a behind the counter item there) had to essentially explain via sign language I was shitting my brains out and needed medicine. Another fourteen hour in a window seat flight sitting on a hemorrhoid sucked, but at least the medicine worked. I haven't traveled without at least half a dozen Imodium since, even have it in my work bag too since working on the tracks means we're rarely around a bathroom and 100% dining out while at work is always a gamble.

2AF, glad you made it thorough your ordeal there. I had a lot of Fijians that used to work for me, very fine and honorable men who as much as they loved their country and were proud of their heritage, told stories of very rough living there and why they didn't hesitate to leave their families for a $2k/mo job in a war zone just to help them get a bit better lifestyle for their wife and kids. Kudos to you for sacrificing to do such fine and noble work.

manufacturer of "pills" here:

buy all in blister cards if possible

Imodium: (squirts) best on the market

Benadryl tablets, they last longer in storage and can be chewed:
allergic reaction to food, bug bite or allergies in general
capsules begin to melt in very humid weather
if you are stung by something and you are going into shock chew 2-3 tablets for faster absorption, might keep you alive

Advil/Ibuprofen: tablets, softgels work faster but they are easy to break and they dont like the sun: fever, pain reliever

Sudafed/pseudophedrine: opens airways for severe congestion and raises heart rate slightly. increases internal temperature might help fight off "bugs"

this should be you mandatory medkit of solid dose/pills (excluding personal meds and antibiotics if possible)

if those 4 products cannot fix what is wrong then you need a doctor or antibiotics

manufacturer of "pills" here:

buy all in blister cards if possible

Imodium: (squirts) best on the market

Benadryl tablets, they last longer in storage and can be chewed:
allergic reaction to food, bug bite or allergies in general
capsules begin to melt in very humid weather
if you are stung by something and you are going into shock chew 2-3 tablets for faster absorption, might keep you alive

Advil/Ibuprofen: tablets, softgels work faster but they are easy to break and they dont like the sun: fever, pain reliever

Sudafed/pseudophedrine: opens airways for severe congestion and raises heart rate slightly. increases internal temperature might help fight off "bugs"

this should be you mandatory medkit of solid dose/pills (excluding personal meds and antibiotics if possible)

if those 4 products cannot fix what is wrong then you need a doctor or antibiotics

Good post. Thanks for the write-up as it is a fine reminder for those of us whom have forgotten up update/rotate items in our FAK.

I bring antibiotics too....... ?

Which ones would you suggest, as there is a gamut to choose from due to a gamut of possibilities. All joking aside, how best to store (home/kitchen vacuum sealer?) and what is the effective shelf-life of these things?

I've been told 'only months' but I'm pretty sure that is simply a marketing scam by the pharmacists. They make their money on the dispensing fees, not the meds themselves. So what is the TRUTH?

Zithromax Z-Pak:

probably the most prescribed, works on most nasty stuff

Amoxicillin :

good for infections and gastro issues

most table or capsules carry a 2-3 year expiration date.
depending on the drug they either become less potent or they drop off really fast

store in cool dry place, with a limited amount of air in the bottle

im running to lunch, when i get back ill give you guys a quick run down on exp dating and how it comes about

How awesome for your daughter and her experience in helping less fortunate people in a foreign area. I’m sure she will keep her memories the rest of her life.

As for you, it sounds like your trip was really the shits. I’m glad it all worked out for you in the end. I was wondering why I hadn’t seen you on the forum for awhile. AJ may call you skinny, I’m gonna go with squirt...

In all seriousness, I wouldn’t have wanted to trade you places. Glad your back home safe, sound and just as mentally unstable as you were when you left. Tell your daughter congratulations.

Hi,

Doesn't everyone travel with 2 liters of IV with Zofran (nausea), Pepcid (heartburn), Toradol (pain/hangover) and B12?

Now if travelling to Shot Show you may need to increase the quantity by 5x because your friends will all be laying in your hotel room and lamps will be IV stations. ?

OP: Of all the 3rd world places to visit....you choose LAX California! Nigerian Delta is safer than that place.
Sounds like you had a blast ..... out your ass. lolol

Sincerely,
Theis

real quick and dirty:

Exp dating (stability testing):
for OTC and scrips not vitamins

EXP dating:
products expire for dropping below 90% potency of label claim (fda law)
products active ingredient not only become less potent but "morph" into a chemical with different side effects
products (especially liquids) can and do grow bacteria. there is a small percentage of moisture in tablets so it can grow there as well

usually there are 2 types of stability testing happening concurrently:

actual product on shelf in a temperature controlled and monitored room

same lot number and production run in a "Stability Chamber"
the chamber is really a expensive fridge with temp and humidity control along with all the monitors and alarms

the stability chamber is used when a new product.
not just a new formula/drug but new for the particular company or packaging configuration..blister to bottle or white bottle to clear bottle etc. different packaging components have different permeability that wrecks havoc with stability.

When a product or bottle is put "on stability" in the chamber (at correct temp and humidity):
1 month = 1 year EXP
2 month = 2 year EXP
3 month = 2 1/2 year EXP
then the govt says no more accelerated EXP extension

at the end of each predetermined period samples are taken out and tested for the particular criteria. if it passes "stability" keeps going, if it fails a 6 weeks but passed at 1 month i can only give it a 1 year exp (or last testing date that passed).

no customer wants less than 18 month when its delivered but if its flu season the time from production to use is so short its irrelevant. flu vaccine is determined by a bunch of scientists guessing what strains will be most abundant.

that info is given to the companies and they start producing for the next season. so very long exp date flu shots are worthless because the mix of targeted flu viruses changes every year.

at the same time the actual time period (1 year, 2 year..) shelf/non-accelerated are being tested as well.
if the actual shelf dies before the original accelerated tests results the actual shelf EXP overrules it.

EDIT: forgot to add, if the FDA didnt allow accelerated stability no one would make new drugs. you cant spend RD money and sit on product for 2 years in the hopes it will sell.

now the the "BIG BUSINESS HOLDING US DOWN", im guilty of it as well...

most OTC tylenol/advil will last 4 years in some cases even more (i have testing on tylenol that goes 6 years out)

issue becomes that once the product is out in the market that long and never stored in proper conditions products shit the bed.
that winds up being lawsuits, audits and customer complaints that i have to pay for.

we say every bottle out the door is a time bomb

ex:
lady calls up and complains that when she opened a vit-e or fishoil softgel bottle the softgels were all mush and goo
it was right around the exp date
causing havoc in my place because we dont see crap product
welllll, winds up she stored the product in her gym bag in her trunk in Arizona
not the best "store at room temp" location.
something like that costs me about 3-4K in labor and paperwork
i prob made $0.65 on that bottle

distribution houses dont want that headache either so its a "industry standard" that you target manufacturing with 2 year EXP so the supply guy can order and have it sit on his shelf for a few months before the customer gets pissy about a short date

Last edited:
Hi,

Doesn't everyone travel with 2 liters of IV with Zofran (nausea), Pepcid (heartburn), Toradol (pain/hangover) and B12?

Now if travelling to Shot Show you may need to increase the quantity by 5x because your friends will all be laying in your hotel room and lamps will be IV stations. ?

OP: Of all the 3rd world places to visit....you choose LAX California! Nigerian Delta is safer than that place.
Sounds like you had a blast ..... out your ass. lolol

Sincerely,
Theis

nigeria, even a happy nigerian looks pissed off

2AF, glad to have you back in the USA and doing better. It ain't no fun to be out of country and sick as hell. Been there, done that. After a trip from hell to Asia about 20 years ago, I had the company doc set me up with a meds kit. I never had to use "the good stuff" in it, but I was equipped with Zofran, Toradol, Lomotil, Ciprofloxacin, & assorted OTC meds. I don't travel to sketchy places for work anymore, but if I had to, I'd ask for a similar kit again.