• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Damn luck or what?

SSGCHANCE

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2014
ALABAMA
little history first, i have been shooting all types of guns for thirty years. Never tried a hand at long range. to me that is past 300 yards. So i already had a rem 700 VLS in .308 bought a viper pst 6 24 and a nightforce 20 base. started loading ammo many years ago. for all types of cartridges. Recently put isnipe on the iphone, just cause it what i found first. So here goes.. late the other afternoon we laser ranged a cattle gap at 862 yards. we were on a hilltop 400 ft higher than valley where gap was. I entered data in iphone adjusted scope and aimed at a pile of fresh cowshit between the gap. it was the average approx 2-3 inches high and about a 10 inch diameter turd. Cold barrel loaded a 175 SMK in front of 44g of varget. the only thing not bone stock on rifle is a timney trigger. I sqeezed it off and splash cow shit flew everwhere. I was amazed overjoyed To much of my surprise I shot two more very nearby. So I ask this ? is it damn luck or are long range shots on that size of a target easy to hit? this was first attempt at anything past 300.

that was my first four shots ever past 300 that i dialed in scope. i have held over on coyotes back when i didnt have a scope with target turrets didnt do so good then. i have shot lots and lots at 100 yards and group very good close in. that day i just figured id be wasting ammo shooting that far off but dang i was very surprised, i guess there was no wind cause i really didnt see or feel it blowing so just held dead on and bam. the other guy there was watching and initially said ha you missed then said dang it just hit it.

that was my first four shots ever past 300 that i dialed in scope. i have held over on coyotes back when i didnt have a scope with target turrets didnt do so good then. i have shot lots and lots at 100 yards and group very good close in. that day i just figured id be wasting ammo shooting that far off but dang i was very surprised, i guess there was no wind cause i really didnt see or feel it blowing so just held dead on and bam. the other guy there was watching and initially said ha you missed then said dang it just hit it.

If you did it on a windy day with a full value wind, I would say skill. If you have no clue what the wind was doing because you didn't take it into account, I would say luck.

It doesn't matter though, you hit what you wanted. Keep up doing what you are doing I would say.

Could it have been bullshit? [emoji6]

Sent from South Texas using Tapatalk

If you've got good fundamentals, good dope, zero'd gun and had no wind, it was doing exactly what it should and hit where you put it. It's not voodoo until wind kicks up and your put in weird unstable positions... That's where the voodoo comes in ;) welcome to the club, it's an addicting activity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only way to find out is to do it a bunch more and see if that's how it always works out. I'm guessing not.

Apparently your gun shoots 1 MOT, Minute Of Turd.

My days at the range usually end in utterances like " I can't hit shit today".

that describes me on a dove shoot!! to the T

Wait til it's windy and you aren't on your belly. That's what separated the men from boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calculating bullet drop is easy. Try it on a windy day.

And to be honest, if your first shot was a hit, but your second two weren't, then that is kinda proof that it WAS a fluke. Sorry. Just sayin'. Repeatability determines if something was luck or not, and you were NOT able to repeat it.

Not saying your story is bullshit (sorry, had to), but I think you'll find that with a factory rifle, that is pretty much the edge of it's capability. I wouldn't be surprised if you (or anyone, for that matter) couldn't do it consistently. If you can shoot well at short range, you can generally shoot well at long range (wind reading is really the only difference outside of the equipment requirements).

Was it 3 for 3?? Or like 3 for 15? That's something you never clarified. If your engaging cow shit at 860 yards and went 3 for 3 I'd say ... Luck was MOST definitely a huge factor. But there's ALWAYS skill involved.
And don't let guys here tell you your rifle isn't capable of great performance or at its limit. Point in case, my really good buddy and I went out to the 1200 yard line. He had 3 GA PRECISIONS and I had a BONE STOCK 700 P .300 win mag shooting the 208 amax. I kicked his ass from 800 to 1200 yards. He came in 15th at the GAP Grind this year so DUDE CAN SHOOT!! Guess what I'm saying is I've seen 700s that suck and 700's that are truly incredible. Mine just happened to be the latter.
But in a nutshell ... It's not that easy and as others have said .... Just wait for the WIND. At 862 yards with a 7 mph wind coming from 9 o'clock you'd be pushed 44" or 4.85 moa right. So basically just under 4 feet off. That's with a 175 smk at 2620 fps.

First time I played golf I got a hole in one. That game was the height of my golfing career. First time to the range with my brand new 5R, I shot a 1 hole group. Been chasing that group for years.. Glad you had a good time. You now have a reason to spend thousands on guns. Just don't sell that gun. And yeah, wind blows. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well, if it was luck it wasn't shitty luck. This thread is so full of shitty puns....

I'd say it was only luck in the sense that you did everything right. Because your basic skills were right on and what you really did was use that and following directions, and your cake (pie, in this case) came out perfect.

I'd say a little of both. 10" at 900 yards is just over an MOA so it is about what you would expect from a stock Rem 700 barrel. You didn't mention wind so I'm assuming no wind which makes it a lot easier. If you said you were holding 6 moa of wind I'd be very impressed.

I'd say you had some luck in that the parameters you put into Isnipe must have been pretty right on (or 2 errors cancelled each other). You must have guessed on muzzle velocity. But it came out right. Recalculate and shoot 200 to 1000 yards and if it is still right on you've got a winning setup.

--Jerry

Is there a standard for milin' a shit pile?

When you ping the shit pile with your laser, will you get a different reading depending on freshness?